How do I get OnePassword to work with family share using multiple iCloud accounts.

DP_Walker
DP_Walker
Community Member

All my devices (MAC and IOS) used to be under one iCloud account and 1 Password worked perfectly. For ease of use and simplicity my wife's IOS devices and MAC are now under her own iCloud account, but she shares the owner account (mine) for shared email, calendars, contacts, iTunes store, etc. Since doing that 1 Password no longer syncs across all devices just across mine, and hers only across her devices. I have manually updated my 1 Password account with her data, but how can I instruct 1Password on her devices to use my iCloud database? I don't see how the vault option could help me since it only shows dropbox as an option.

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:icloud-faq

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@DP_Walker - The short answer is that Apple does not permit sharing anything in iCloud across different Apple IDs, including syncing 1Password data. And, with respect to the Pro features of 1Password, Apple also does not allow Family Sharing for in-app purchases to any developer.

You can accomplish what you are wanting to do if you switch to Dropbox for syncing, except for each of you needing to buy the Pro features separately, again because of Apple's policy on the matter.

• DP_Walker
    DP_Walker
    Community Member

Thanks, I used to use dropbox before switching to iCloud and I am okay with going back to it since it posed no problems for me. I will look into purchasing the pro feature for each of us if that is what I need to make it work again, but why do I need it? Won't all our devices just access the same dropbox file like they did before switching to iCloud in September?
    I guess sharing data across iCloud accounts is something that Apple on trust themselves to do, I guess I can understand that but I think they can trust you guys not to mess things up.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@DP_Walker - The iOS application is indeed free to download and use in its basic form. You may find that you don't need the Pro features. I'd give that approach a try and see if it serves your needs. If it doesn't, then what I described will apply if you decide to activate them. If you've been getting along without, you should be fine. It's just that Apple doesn't permit Family Sharing for in-app purchases, if you buy them.

• Hi @DP_Walker,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Hopefully hawkmoth's posts have proven to be helpful, but if there is anything else we can assist with please let us know!

Ben

• DP_Walker
    DP_Walker
    Community Member

Thanks to everyone for their help, I switched back to dropbox and all is working perfectly. I am able to keep our separate family share accounts and life is good.
    On a different and unassociated note I repurchased 1 Password from the app store so I could get all my updates automatically across all devices. Somehow (my fault) I messed up the apps on my MACs and the repurchase fixed it. Special thanks for the discounted price.

• Glad to hear Dropbox is working better for you. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.