Just purchased 1password from App Store and will not open on my Mac

Options
Feral4769
Feral4769
Community Member

I was using 1password on iPhone 6s OS 9.2 and did not sync to iCloud and deleted the data and the app. When I purchased the Mac version from App Store 1Password is asking for master password which is not being accepted. I have followed the detailed instructions for setting up a new vault by moving the file 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper to the desk top - still not working. I have also deleted the app and reinstalled a number of times. When the app now opens to the welcome screen and I click on "lets get started" the app disappears from the desk top and it is still open on the launch bar. What can I do next to rectify the issue?

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: 5.4
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
Sync Type: Not synced
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb:starting-over, kb:diagnostics, kb-search:1Password will not open, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• Hey @Feral4769! It sounds like you may have had a copy of the AgileBits Store version of 1Password in the past, and the Mac App Store version is smart, so it wanted to import the data when you set things up. All you need to do is follow the AgileBits Store-specific guide for starting over here:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

You'll notice that it's slightly different from the Mac App Store steps, but it should get the Master Password issue sorted out.

When the app now opens to the welcome screen and I click on "lets get started" the app disappears from the desk top and it is still open on the launch bar.

This sounds like the app's installation has been fiddled with a bit. Could you also follow the steps to start over with the Mac App Store version in the above guide? Sorry if you're doing this again, but removing all the data should suffice and you should be able to get things up and running nicely again. Let us know how things go!

• Feral4769
    Feral4769
    Community Member
    Options

Hi penderworth, thanks for your help it worked! Yes I did have a copy of the Agilebits Store version in the past that was a trial version on my Mac and of course I'd totally forgotten about.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Penderworth, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

This discussion has been closed.