How do I access my bank passwords kept in 1password if both my iphone and computer are stolen?

Options
heidihansen
heidihansen
Community Member

How do I access my stored passwords if both my computer and phone are stolen?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:contact-us, kb:change-master-password, kb-search:what if my phone and computer are stolen? how do i access passwords?, kb:lost-device

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@heidihansen clearly if all devices that you have which run 1Password are stolen you will be in some difficulty. That's why, of course, you can never have enough backups. :) So long as you do have backups you'll be able to restore your 1P data to replacement devices when you get them.

There is clearly some sort of balance to be struck between:

• having weak but memorable passwords; and
    • having strong, secure passwords which are impossible to remember.

However, I know which I much prefer—and I work on the basis that, in practice, it's very unlikely that I'm going to have both my phone and my computer stolen at the same time. If that were to happen I also know I have multiple backups that I can access the moment I get replacement devices. Of course, it's always possible to telephone (or maybe even visit) your bank to explain what has happened in order to get some temporary access to your account. ;)

You've not told us on what platform you're running 1Password but certainly the current version of 1P for iOS (and the current beta of 1P for Mac) will generate Diceware pass phrases which (if your bank login permits) may address your concern (on the basis that random pass phrases can be both very secure but also easier to remember).

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @heidihansen,

Has Stephen's post helped to answer your questions? I'm not sure I can give a better answer than he already has. Backups, and offsite (or off-device) backups in particular, are a great first step in keeping your data secure. This goes for all of your other important digital information (like documents and photos) in addition to your 1Password data. :) And Diceware (or wordlist) passwords are a great solution for those important passwords that you might need to remember (or type) occasionally.

One other thing that you might find useful as you plan for the worst: one of our users has created the 'In Case of Emergency': the 1Password Emergency Kit. This downloadable document lists all of the information that you'll want to pass along in case of an emergency. Perhaps having your phone and laptop stolen doesn't quite qualify as an 'emergency', but this document could be helpful in that situation as well - it will help you know where all the important details are and help you get back on track.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns - we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.