firefox sync

what does 1password do, that mozilla (firefox) sync does not provide (across the windows and android range)? shows my ignorance (g), but then again I do not mind being ignoramus, as long as it helps my security and integrity.

supplementary question: same corner, different PoV - using Keepass as a vault, locally (..."copy, paste pwd...")

Thinking it through, I need to decide where the security problems may be most pressing in my case. Im a typical plain-vanilla private person with a lot of tentacles in the net.

Tia

smo

1Password Version: 1Password 4 for Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win 10
Sync Type: huh?
Referrer: kb:how-safe-is-cloud-sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

@vitosmo: The primary benefits 1Password has over the built in password management in browsers (such as Firefox) are security (data is encrypted using your Master Password, completely separate from any browser), flexibility (you can use it on many browsers on a number of platforms), portability (you can export your data and take it somewhere else at any time), and convenience (filling...that isn't accessible by just anyone with access to the browser).

Specifically regarding Firefox, it's often possible for anyone with access to the computer to extract stored login credentials...or of course they could simply open the browser and go to sites where Firefox will login to your accounts. 1Password provides an extra layer of strong encryption so that your data is safe even if it falls into the wrong hands: without your Master Password, it's useless.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• vitosmo
    vitosmo
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

"....regarding Firefox...could simply open the browser and go to sites where Firefox will login to your accounts"

Correct only if the user

• does not use built-in Sync functionality, or
    • uses Sync and (!) makes his Sync Master pwd public or easy to crack

I can safely assume this kind of bozo users are a dying breed (deservedly so).
    More on Firefox sync here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/sync/

So ... "been there, done that", as far as Firefox (and Chrome afaik) goes.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @vitosmo,

Firefox and Chrome has improved its password management over the past few years but we've been doing this for more than a decade now when none of the browsers had this protection. If Firefox Sync works great for your needs, then we recommend you use that. There is no one solution that fits everyone's need but we rather everyone be protected with a password manager than without one, so we welcome more password managers including Firefox and Chrome. If Firefox works well enough and you have no plans to ever leave it, then you don't need 1Password.

For 1Password, it does more than just being a companion to your browsers. It has the ability to record more than your logins in the main program with secure notes, software license tracking, file attachments, passports, and so much more. It's a secure information manager rather than just a password manager for your browsers. We also provide information on when one of your Login items have been compromised via our Watchtower service.

You can also share your vaults between families, friends, and co-workers. You can also switch between home and work vaults to isolate your data sets.

You can sync your 1Password data to your smartphones and use it to fill in third party programs with our 1Password keyboard support on Android. For iOS, we provide an open source framework to let devs integrate 1Password into their apps to make it easier for their users to log in with 1Password. Of course, we also provide customer service to help with anything our users need related to 1Password and security.

If none of the extra features make 1Password worthy for you, that's okay for us as long as Firefox protects you as that is all we want for everyone when we started building 1Password back in 2002.

This discussion has been closed.