White pop-up box on startup which leaves a "ghost"

Options
khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: El Capitan [1Password 5 is compatible, display glitches under investigation].

Comments

• artcop
    artcop
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting a brief, white pop-up box on start up which leaves an annoying ghost shadow behind on the finder window. Any patches?

1Password v5.4, 27" iMac (late 2013), OS 10.11.2.

Link to screenie: gearboxstudio.net/images/1Password_shadow.jpg

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @artcop,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I split your post from that old thread since the issue you are reporting is a bit different, and I want to make sure you get the support you deserve. :)

That certainly is an interesting image. I have never seen it myself or any other reports of it.

1. Is there anything about it which makes you think it is related to 1Password? Perhaps there is something obvious that you just didn't mention in your post.
    2. What happens if you temporarily disable "Always keep 1Password mini running" on the General preference pane and then restart your Mac? Does it happen then as well?

• artcop
    artcop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Khad- Thanks for the fast response. What makes me think it's 1Password is that the blank window fires at the same instant the icon appears in the top menu bar during start up. And yes, I tried disabling the mini feature as well as any other third-party apps (and an auxilliary monitor) rebooting each time, and got the same window shadow during that moment 1Password loaded. Oddly, after about 15 minutes or so I noticed it was gone after I wrote that post. Could it be a VRAM thing possibly? This is a new computer to me (bought from Apple). I've used 1Password for years with no issues at all. Stranger things have been fixed by simply rebuilding permissions– I'll try that and see what happens. If that doesn't do anything I'll try re-downloading the app and reinstalling it. Thanks. I'll follow up with results, if any.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Could it be a VRAM thing possibly?

@artcop: I have issues similar to this from time to time. Perhaps it is VRAM, but regardless it's certainly something involving graphics rendering — whether it be hardware or software. OS X handles windows drawing and of course the dropshadows that go along with that (which is what you're seeing). So ultimately this won't be a 1Password issue, but rather something more systemic.

I also have weirder graphical 'glitches' (odd colour patterns in some sections of the screen or windows) occasionally, but given that I've got time on my AppleCare+ and this Mac is still totally fine otherwise I'm loathe to bother taking it in. If you didn't spring for the extended AppleCare+ though, I'd recommend having them take a look at it. Even in cases where there was ultimately no resolution, having a recorded history of these issues has gotten me a replacement before.

However, one thing peripherally related to 1Password that I wanted to mention was multiple copies. I may have misunderstood, but it sounded like you were saying that even with mini disabled you were seeing it launch with the accompanying 'ghost'. If so, you probably have another copy of 1Password that's launching mini on boot. Please do a thorough search, as you really only want to have a single copy of the app located in your Applications folder. And while that won't resolve the graphical issue you're describing, it will at least make it cease to appear on boot. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.