Can I specify which iCloud account to sync with?

PaddyTB
PaddyTB
Community Member

Can I specify which iCloud account to sync with (like with iTunes etc.) - I don't want to create a dedicated Dropbox account as I don't feel it offers the same level of security and means I have to maintain yet more passwords.

If not is this in the pipeline as a feature request, or is there another hassle-free way to share vaults between all my family iOS devices?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

1Password Version: 6.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.2
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: kb:sync-options

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@PaddyTB - I am not sure this will help, but if I understand your goals properly, I think you wish to share data with other family members who use different Apple IDs for iCloud. If that is correct, you won't be able to do that. Apple doesn't permit sharing data among users with different Apple IDs for any application. When you select iCloud as the method for syncing, your device will point to the iCloud account for which you are logged in. There isn't going to be a way to alter that, unless Apple relents and begins to allow sharing among accounts. The only way to share iCloud for syncing would be for everyone to use the same AppleID.

As you note, you can indeed do that with Dropbox, although you also say you don't want to do that. Let me observe, however, that there is no difference in security for your 1Password data between iCloud and Dropbox. Your security depends only upon the encryption protocols used by 1Password and your strong master password. Security does not depend in any way on the security of the cloud solution you select.

If I have misunderstood your original question, please let us know.

• PaddyTB
    PaddyTB
    Community Member

@hawkmoth thanks ever so much for the response. That's a shame really - I guess it's part of the inscrutable way Apple does things - and probably tied up with not being able to use iCloud a simple file sharing service too.

• Indeed. Unfortunately just not something iCloud was designed for. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.