safe guard against erasing password...

Gazelle
Gazelle
Community Member

I hit edit in the lower right corner to change my user name and accidentally hit the little circle (that changes password) by mistake. Of course it changed my password and I had no idea what my old generated password was. Question: Is there a way to be able to (by choice for people like me) have it warn me first before it changes password? "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CHANGE PASSWORD" It can be a choice in settings.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gazelle,

Sorry to hear you accidentally changed your password!

Although there's no option to warn you about clicking the password generator button while in Edit mode, your changes won't be saved unless/until you click Save. So, if you accidentally click the password generator button, just click the Cancel button, then click Don't Save.

But even if you accidentally change the password and click Save, don't worry - your old password is not lost! When you change the password in a Login item, that item will have a show previously used passwords button. Click that, and you'll see your previous password(s) for that item. If you changed a password by accident, copy the old one from there, then edit the item and paste it in the password field.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• Gazelle
    Gazelle
    Community Member

Thanks Drew!! I'll do that :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. Happy New Year! :)

• Debunker13
    Debunker13
    Community Member

Old passwords are located and stored within the record where they are changed. Look for a button about halfway down the window that says "previously used" (or something like that, don't have my computer with me now). It will enumerate all previously used passwords.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

So true, @Debunker13!

Drew_AG explained that earlier in this thread, but thanks for chiming in! We love having engaged users in our discussion forums. :)

Have yourself a lovely weekend and a shiny New Year!

This discussion has been closed.