Trouble syncing between iOS and Mac, old 1Password vault to blame

Options
dengar22
dengar22
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password to my iPhone (not my Mac) a few years ago and didn't use it much so deleted it from my iPhone. Today I download 1Password for Mac, got everything set up, then downloaded it for my iPhone. iPhone asked to sync with iCloud, which I selected, but the vault it wants to sync to is from my old account, I know because the password hint is different than what I just set up.

So...I think I need to delete that old vault from iCloud, but in the advice I read on this site it says to go to Help>Troubleshooting>and then reset iCloud data, but problem is I don't have that option.

How do I get rid of the old vault and get this new vault up and running?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:icloud-remove-data

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dengar22,

I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble with iCloud sync!

If your version of 1Password for Mac is 5.4.1, that's the AgileBits Store version. That explains why you aren't seeing the option to reset iCloud data, as iCloud sync is currently only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. That's because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which was only available for apps sold through Apple's App Stores when we released 1Password 5. We have more information in our knowledgebase:

Now, although it wasn't possible before, Apple has opened up the CloudKit APIs we use for iCloud syncing, which means it should be possible to add iCloud sync to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac (although I don't have any timeframe for when that might happen). At the moment, it's in beta testing. We're experimenting with it and cautiously optimistic. We hope it works, but out of an abundance of caution we continue to recommend that folks purchase it from the Mac App Store if iCloud sync is critical to them.

Please know that Dropbox sync is also a great option. It's how many of us here have always synced our 1Password data. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to sync secondary vaults, as well as share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts). And it's the only sync solution that works across all platforms supported by 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

Sorry for any confusion about all that! If you have more questions or need help with 1Password, please let us know - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.