Can't setup new iPhone & MacBookPro to sync with existing account

raymack
raymack
Community Member

First off, somehow there are two agile.bits folders now in DropBox; help! Otherwise, everything LOOKS correct on iPhone and MacBook, but no log-ins show up. Help, please. RayMack

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan, latest
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: kb-search:two 1password folders, kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raymack,

I'm sorry Dropbox sync is being a bit troublesome for you!

If I understand, it sounds like you have an existing vault/sync file for 1Password in your Dropbox folder, and are trying to sync that data to 1Password on a new iPhone and a new MacBook Pro. But even though your sync settings look correct, you don't see any items in your vault when you open the 1Password app on either device. Is that right? (If not, please give us some more details about that.)

In order to help you get this all sorted, we'll need to know some more details about your setup. Please let us know the following:

• Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of iOS are you running on your iPhone?
    • What version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone?
    • Is Dropbox sync enabled in the sync settings of 1Password on both your MacBook Pro and iPhone?
    • Do you currently have any data in 1Password on your MacBook Pro or iPhone?
    • Do you have existing 1Password data in Dropbox from using it on another device? Or are you just getting started with 1Password and are trying to set up Dropbox sync for the first time?
    • Aside from your MacBook Pro and iPhone, what other devices are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    • If you use (or had been using) 1Password on any other devices, which version of 1Password?
    • Do you receive any error messages? If so, what do they say?
    • You said you have two folders named "agile.bits" in Dropbox - are both of those folders in the root level of the main Dropbox folder? If not, where exactly are each of those folders?
    • Did you name those folders yourself? (The reason I ask is because that doesn't seem to be the name of a folder that 1Password creates in Dropbox, so I'm trying to determine where they came from.)
    • What are the contents of each "agile.bits" folder?
    • In the sync settings of 1Password on your MacBook Pro and iPhone, are they both syncing with the exact same file in the exact same location in Dropbox?

Thanks in advance! :)

• raymack
    raymack
    Community Member

Desktop iMac is still working; MacBookPro has stopped working; iPhone is new and not working. DropBox has two AgileBits folders. 1PW is completely blank/empty on laptop and iPhone. Got to be something simple! Help please!

1Password Version: 5.4
    Extension Version: 4.4.3
    OS Version: Latest OS X and iOs
    Sync Type: DropBox

• Hi @raymack ,

Do you get any error messages at all when you start it on your MacBookPro, or on your iPhone? Are you able to select multiple vaults (if you have any), perform search, or other tasks?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• raymack
    raymack
    Community Member

No, no error messages. Opens with my PW OK, but only vault is default primary which is empty.

• @raymack It sounds like you may have multiple copies of the app installed. Could you check your Applications and Downloads folders to see if there are extra copies of 1Password there? If there are, please remove them. We just updated things to version 6, so the most recent app will be 1Password 6 rather than 1Password 5. Once you remove the additional copies, try opening 1Password 6 to see if that clears things up. Let us know how it goes. :)

• raymack
    raymack
    Community Member

Nope, I see no signs of two copies of 1PW on either the iPhone or MacBookPro. Both did update to version 6 today. What should I do about the two Agile Bits folders in DropBox?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raymack,

It looks like this is the same thing you asked us about last month in another forum discussion, so I merged both threads together to avoid some confusion.

What should I do about the two Agile Bits folders in DropBox?

Nothing yet, but that might be an indication that your MacBook Pro and iPhone are syncing with a different sync file in Dropbox than your iMac. So let's check the sync settings in 1Password on both Macs and your iPhone to see if that's the problem:

On your iMac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure Dropbox is currently selected next to “Sync Primary vault with”.
    • Check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your MacBook Pro:

• Follow the exact same steps as above.

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service.
    • Check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox)

All three need to be syncing with the same exact file in the same exact location in Dropbox. If the problem is that your MacBook Pro and iPhone are syncing with a different sync file in Dropbox than your iMac, you'll need to disable Dropbox sync on your MacBook Pro and iPhone, then set it up again and choose the correct sync file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.