Importing entries from Passwords Plus

Options
dluplow
dluplow
Community Member

I have searched your database and have not been successful importing entries from Passwords Plus where I have a great number of entries. Is there a way to do so that I have not found in you database, which had 2 entries that I found?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud, I believe. Use SugarSync also.
Referrer: forum-search:import from passwords plus

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dluplow,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble importing your data to 1Password! I also switched from Passwords Plus to 1Password (over four years ago now). At the time, I had relatively few website logins (around 100 or less, I think) so instead of trying to export/import, I chose to sign into each site so 1Password would prompt me to save a new Login item for each one, as described in this section of our user guide.

Of course, if you have a lot more data than that, my method might not be very practical for you. In that case, there are a couple other ways to import your data from other apps, which are explained here: Import data from other applications

It's been quite some time, so I don't remember if Passwords Plus can export to a csv file. If it can, 1Password should be able to import the data from that file. We briefly describe that process here, but we have more in-depth information in this knowledgebase article: How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

You may also have seen information about data converters that can help import data from other apps to 1Password. This forum thread has more information about that. The converters were created by @MrC (a very awesome 1Password customer and forum moderator), who is quite the expert when it comes to this topic. I don't believe he's created a converter specifically for Password Plus, but he's very active on our support forums and I'm sure he'd also be happy to do what he can to help you with this.

If you're having any trouble with the options I've mentioned, please let us know what happens and we'll be happy to do what we can to help! :)

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question. I found a slightly different version of modifying .CSV spreadsheets for import into 1Password on your forum. I was hoping for a simpler method. I will give it a try and hope it works.

In the meantime I have a couple of concerns with logging into each entry and having 1Password create its own entry for that item and are listed below.

1. When I simply log into each entry as you suggested and have 1Password create an entry from my login, I have other things I would like to transfer over, such as email, account number, etc.

2. Also, some Passwords Plus entries have more than one of some categories, such as email addresses. These do not come over as well.

3. It appears as though a new strong password is not generated by 1Password from what I can see. In the past I have used just a few passwords for the 137 entries that I have in Passwords Plus. How does one accomplish that?

I thank you in advance for your response and if you have any further insights, I would appreciate your sharing them.

All the best,

Dean

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi dluplow,

Would it help you if there was a passwordsplus converter for the converter suite? If so, I can take a look at its exported data format, and get one built for you.

I wrote about its format last year, and offered to create a converter for another user, but never received a reply.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mr. C. Although certainly not expected, a converter for Passwords Plus would be extremely generous on your part and would be very much appreciated on my part. I used your instructions in the discussion you refer to in your post, but got confused about how to proceed after importing the Login data. I did not fully understand from the post as to how to import the Credit Card, Software Licenses, and Secure Notes data sets into 1Password. Anything that would allow the import of all my Passwords Plus data into 1Password would be greatly appreciated.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @dluplow ,

I probably won't have a chance to get to it until the weekend, and will ping you here via this post when I have something for you.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Mr. C. I know that there must be other Passwords Plus users converting to 1Password that will appreciate this as much as I do. Happy New Year!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dluplow, it sounds like MrC might be able to help you out with importing your data from Passwords Plus, but I wanted to answer your questions in case you're still curious:

1. When I simply log into each entry as you suggested and have 1Password create an entry from my login, I have other things I would like to transfer over, such as email, account number, etc.

2. Also, some Passwords Plus entries have more than one of some categories, such as email addresses. These do not come over as well.

When 1Password prompts you to save a Login item from a website, it will record the data you entered there (such as username and password), the URL of the site, and some details about the web form. If you have other information saved with that login entry in Passwords Plus, you copy/paste it into the new Login item in 1Password (although this might not be necessary if MrC helps you import everything).

When editing items in 1Password, you can add custom fields for data that doesn't already have its own field, or you can use the notes field.

3. It appears as though a new strong password is not generated by 1Password from what I can see. In the past I have used just a few passwords for the 137 entries that I have in Passwords Plus. How does one accomplish that?

In order to change your website account / Login item passwords to more secure ones with the strong password generator in 1Password, you can follow the steps here: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

It's probably best to get your existing logins imported to/saved in 1Password first, and then you'll be able to follow the steps in the above knowledgebase article.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew and thank you very much for your clarifications. Your answers to 1 and 2 were what I assumed after working with 1Password to better understand how it works. I did find the information on how to change a password already saved in 1Password and determined I needed to import the Passwords Plus passwords and then go in and change them individually using the process described. I appreciate your response to my questions and wish you a Happy New Year.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @dluplow! Happy New Year to you too! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dluplow,

I have completed the Passwords Plus converter (for OS X). I have not yet posted it, as I'm still doing work on another converter and want to complete that before I repost the 1.08 update into the Testing Bits area mentioned in the post for the converter suite.

Let me know when you are ready to use it.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Mr. C. I look forward to using the converter. I am ready to use it at any time, but it is not imperative that I do it immediately, so whenever you post it will be fine with me. I appreciate your efforts very much and I look forward to the converter to use 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @dluplow,

I've placed the converter into Testing Bits. You want the file: convert_to_1p4_1.08pp_rf.zip.

If you've customized field label names, we'll have to adjust the converter to suite your changes. You'll notice this issue when you import, as some items which should have been mapped into 1Password categories end up in Notes.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Well, MrC, you have done an amazing job of creating the converter. It was simple to use and flawless as near as I can tell after checking my most complex entries. It is no problem that some of the entries found their way to Notes as I just need to refer to them for reference. The only disappointment is that I did not know/realize that I can't sync to iCloud with the version purchased through the agilebits website. Now I just need to decide whether it will be more efficient to sync via Dropbox or WiFi. Thank you very much for developing this converter as I and, I am sure, other former Passwords Plus users make the transition to 1Password so seamlessly.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @dluplow ,

Awesome! Thanks for the nice feedback and status update.

Enjoy 1Password!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

That's great news, @dluplow! Thanks for letting us know. :)

As you mentioned, only the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store supports iCloud syncing.

If you would like to use the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, you would either need to pay full price (not ideal; I know) or wait for a sale. Unfortunately, Apple provides no way for us (or any developer) to offer discounts or upgrade pricing on the App Store. This is true on both Mac and iOS, and it applies to all apps. It would be great if there was a way around this, but at this time there is not. Maybe Apple will change this in the future. The good news here is that 1Password is currently on sale if you wanted to pick up the version from the Mac App Store at the discounted price. If you wanted to do that, just let me know. We can arrange for a refund of your existing license if it was purchased in the past 30 days.

But…there are a couple other options you may wish to consider:

Syncing with Dropbox

Syncing with Dropbox is an excellent choice. It's how I have always synced my 1Password data and still do. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there is not a difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data. 1Password provides its own protection.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers. It is not possible to share anything between iCloud accounts.

The 1Password for Mac User Guide can get you started if you wanted to sync with Dropbox:

1Password for Mac: Sync with Dropbox

Wi-Fi Sync

I would say that — generally speaking — Dropbox is the best option for most folks. Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. Dropbox syncing is fully automatic and securely syncs your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win. :)

Syncing with iCloud

Now, it wasn't possible in the past, but we're super excited that Apple has opened up the CloudKit APIs we use for iCloud syncing. This has allowed us to support syncing with iCloud in both versions of 1Password for Mac: from the Mac App Store, and now also from our AgileBits Store!

At the moment, it is in beta testing. We're experimenting with it and cautiously optimistic. We hope it works, but out of an abundance of caution we continue to recommend you purchase on the Mac App Store if iCloud is critical to you.

If you'd like to help test, you can join the beta, but be aware it's a beta, and you should expect issues when running on the bleeding edge. You can keep the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed as a fallback, but if you are having issues syncing with iCloud in the beta, we would really appreciate if you let us know. We want to get as much information as possible about the problem, so we can resolve any issues before they see a wider release.

I hope that helps you make an informed decision. But, of course, we are here to help more if you have any other questions.

• dluplow
    dluplow
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the very thorough explanation, khad. I am a bit leary of joining the beta testing at this point as there is quite a bit at stake if something glitches up with the beta testing and data becomes confused or lost. If I felt that the risk of this was quite low, I might be willing to take a chance and help with the testing. At this time I am going to think about whether I want take the risk. In the meantime, I am going to sit tight and decide between the beta testing or Dropbox sync'ing. Thank you again for this great information and I will repost when I decide what I am going to do.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dluplow,

No problem at all. Take your time. :)

For what it's worth, the betas are generally pretty solid, and 1Password automatically creates daily backups of your data. I have been in the beta channel for a number of years now myself. However, if you are hesitant, you may want to avoid the betas since there is not, strictly speaking, a need to run them.

Please do write back if you have any other questions or concerns.

All the best!

This discussion has been closed.