One section of an item isn't synching from iOS to Mac (using Dropbox)

watcher30
watcher30
Community Member

I recently set up a new login, and, of course, the site asked me to answer four security questions. I used 1Password on iOS9 to generate those answers (using the Diceware option), and stored them in a section called "Security Answers" for the site in question.

Today, I needed to log onto that site from my iMac; it asked for a security answer. When I opened 1Password for Mac, I didn't see the "Security Answers" section. I made a change to another section in the same item on iOS and saved the entry; the change propagated to the Mac, but the "Security Answers" section was still missing.

I copied the entry on iOS - the copy propagated to the iMac, but the "Security Answers" section was still missing.

I then used the technique in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/138071#Comment_138071 to start a local webserver on my iMac, pointing at the copy of the keychain in my local Dropbox folder; when I used 1PasswordAnywhere to look at the item, the "Security Answers" section WAS there, so it is definitely propagating through Dropbox to the iMac.

Rebooting the iMac didn't help.

HELP!!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @watcher30,

That's very strange, and I'm sorry that custom section doesn't seem to be syncing to 1Password on your Mac!

If I understand, you can make other changes to other sections in that item on iOS, and those changes sync correctly to your Mac, even though the "Security Answers" section still doesn't show up on your Mac. If you make a change to that item on your Mac, does it sync correctly to iOS?

Also, have you tried making a change to the "Security Answers" section on iOS? Don't change the actual answers/passwords of course, but maybe edit the field labels, or add a new custom field to that section. Do any changes to that section appear on your Mac? I'm hoping maybe a change in that section will trigger it to sync/appear as expected.

If that still doesn't work, are you able to copy/paste the data from the "Security Answers" section to another section on iOS so it will sync to your Mac? It shouldn't be necessary to do that of course, but if that specific section won't show up on your Mac, copying the data to another section might be a useful workaround.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• watcher30
    watcher30
    Community Member

Hi, Drew,

Yes, changes to the item on iOS sync to the Mac EXCEPT changes to the Security Answers section. I've tried adding entries to that section on iOS and changing the name of the section, but I still didn't see the section on the Mac (I do see it in 1PasswordEverywhere using the agilekeychain on the Mac).

Changes from the Mac DO show up on iOS.

Your workaround did the trick - I created a new section on iOS, dragged the answers from the old section to the new one, and saved, and the changes showed up on the Mac. I then deleted the old section and renamed the new one, so I'm back in business.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @watcher30,

Well we're happy to hear things are working although I am puzzled as to what happened to cause the issue in the first place. I've not personally experienced that one but I can imagine how baffling and frustrating it would be to see everything around it work. Hopefully this is a one in a million anomaly. Should it ever happen again though please do let us know as we definitely don't want a bug like that to exist in 1Password.

Very odd indeed.

This discussion has been closed.