Low contrast is difficult to read

ilnonno
ilnonno
Community Member

Dear team,

I recently upgraded from 1Password v.3 to v.5, and while I love the upgrade, I just can't get used to the new, very light and very low contrast colour scheme of the interface.

1Password 3 had more contrast, and was much, much easier on my eyes.
Do you think adding an option in the preferences to revert to the old scheme possible (or to a more contrasty scheme) possible?

I searched on the forums, and found a request for a "dark mode" already. Given its apparent low popularity, I know I am probably in the minority, but I would truly, truly love to have a theme easier on the eyes, and I suspect many others with less than perfect vision like me would find it much more ergonomic and less tiring.

This beside, I wished to thank you for the amazing product: 1Password has been a life saver countless times for me, my wife, and the people I recommended it... I wonder how we lived before it was invented! :-)

Lorenzo

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@ilnonno

+1 for Dark theme or more contrast.
    I am sure I already requested but maybe they will forget and let me vote once again. Especially if I put on this pirate garb. :pirate:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

Hi @ilnonno,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your thoughts & feedback about that! I'm sorry you're not a big fan of the newer look in 1Password 5. Since the release of 1Password 4, the interfaces of the main 1Password app, 1Password mini, and the 1Password extension have been (re)designed to match the visual style in the supported versions of OS X. Hopefully you'll like it more and get used to it over time, but I'm sure there's always room for improvement!

In version 5, 1Password mini / browser extension supports the dark menu bar option in OS X, although of course that doesn't affect the main app. We do have an open feature request for a "dark mode" theme in the main app, and other things to improve the contrast, and I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker so our developers know you'd also like that. I really hope we'll be able to do something in a future version to make it easier on your eyes! :)

@thightower: Bribing us with a pirate emoticon to add another vote? Works for me! :pirate: If I run across your original vote when adding a new one, I'll just look the other way. :lol:

ref: OPM-2520

• ilnonno
    ilnonno
    Community Member

Thanks to you @Drew_AG for taking the time to reply and for considering my needs!
    Best wishes for a great 2016!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ilnonno,

We've got another feature request that I'm going to add your thoughts to as well. We do want the application to look like other OS X applications but I think there is still a little wriggle room while maintaining that goal and I've been slowly bringing the developers round to the idea that there are some nice things we could for people with visual difficulties. One is have the fonts change based on the Increase contrast option in OS X that applications such as Contacts responds to as it would seem plausible that if you find 1Password 5 for Mac a bit tough you might find the same in other Yosemite/El Cap applications and that accessibility option might be something you use. Hopefully we can help the many people that struggle with the current contrast :smile:

ref: OPM-3597

This discussion has been closed.