Cannot get Wi-Fi Sync to work

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Free update to the Mac App Store version.

Comments

• DownUnder
    DownUnder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have the 1Password web version installed on my Mac Pro 2009, which doesn't have WiFi (although it's connected by Ethernet to the same router used by my iPad and both see each other perfectly). It seems like the only way to sync my vault on both devices is Dropbox, which I'd rather not use. WiFi sync doesn't work (although they are on the same network), folder sync doesn't work with mobile devices, and I can't use iCloud because I have the web version and don't want to pay for 1P twice. Surely something can be done about this?

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DownUnder,

I split your post from the other one as I'd like to concentrate on getting Wi-Fi Sync working for you if I may. There isn't a way to move all of our users to the Mac App Store version so I figure we should see if we can figure out the cause of the Wi-Fi Sync issues.

To help us understand where the issue is I'm going to link you to a couple of guides.

The first link is to the Wi-Fi Sync guide for the Mac which links to the iOS guide while the second covers some general things worth trying. If we know you've tried the stuff in the second link it saves us suggesting anything there and wasting your time while the guide for setting up Wi-Fi Sync will allow you to say something like step x is where I can't see what I should or it was working up to step y and then this is what happened. If we're really lucky something in one of those will actually help but if not it will give us a good idea of where the issue is.

It would also be handy to learn a bit more about your setup including

1. Which version of 1Password for Mac you're running
    2. Which version of 1Password for iOS you're running

Hopefully we can get Wi-Fi Sync working for you :smile:

• DownUnder
    DownUnder
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you very much for your support. As it so often happens, when you perform the exact same steps with someone holding your hand it magically works...

Still, this is indeed not the best of solutions, even an automatic SFTP upload/download would be better imho.

BTW is the Wi-Fi sync bidirectional (can a change can propagate e.g. from iPhone to Mac and then from Mac to iPad)?

Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DownUnder,

Who of us hasn't suffered that one. It misbehaves right until you try and show somebody it misbehaving and then of course it acts all innocent :tongue:

So it is at least working right now which is a good thing. I can also reassure you that as long as you sync frequently enough all data will end up in all places. If you were to make changes on both the iPad and iPhone it would mean a sequence of three sync, first the iPhone with the Mac, then the iPad with the Mac and then the iPhone again. The iPad would pick up on all changes made on the iPhone but until you synced the iPhone again it wouldn't know of anything that the iPad reported to the Mac.

At some point in the past we did come close to adding WebDAV support but performance issues stopped it becoming another option. Given WebDAV was deemed not viable I'd suspect something like SFTP would be worse. We also rely on the conflict resolution provided by Dropbox and iCloud which wouldn't exist with something like SFTP. It certainly isn't a no that we'll add other sync methods at some point in the future but given the damage that can be done if it doesn't work properly we do need to be careful.

• DownUnder
    DownUnder
    Community Member
    Options

"the damage that can be done if it doesn't work properly" is probably the scariest thing I will have read in 2016.

Thank you again for your help and support.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @DownUnder,

Hence why our developers are super cautious when it comes to anything relating to the syncing... or database... or encryption. Generally they're very cautious :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.