Feature request: increase limits for password recipe ingredients

Options
FragileBits
FragileBits
Community Member

I love the password generator and use it regularly, but I often want to include more digits and/or symbols than the recipe offers.

If I can create a password with a total length of up to 50 characters, why can't the limits for each ingredient be higher? Instead, I am limited to up to 10 characters for each of digits and symbols.

Ideally, there might even be 3 sliders (letters, digits, symbols), which interact with each other in some way within the constraints of the specified password length.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FragileBits,

Good point although 20% for both numbers and symbols each is a significant percentage of even a 50 character password but that isn't to say I don't see your case. The maximum of 10 digits and 10 symbols would seem to be an artificial limitation and why have artificial limits? I suspect we wouldn't include three sliders though when technically two still allow full control over the password structure (all spare spaces in the password will always be filled up by upper and lower case characters).

Personally I'd like a simple random password where you throw all the characters, symbols and digits into a bag and keep picking from that pool until the required length is met. Yes it could easily mean a password with no digits for example but it would be properly random which just feels more natural to me. I don't get to make feature requests for myself though :tongue:

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Not only is it an artificial limitation, it also pretty much assures that any long password created via 1Password will, in practice, only ever include a maximum of 10 each of digits and/or symbols. I appreciate that it is possible to make changes manually, but the whole point of having a convenient tool is to be able to use and rely upon it, which I imagine most customers will do.

Some customers may also prefer, when it takes their fancy, to create passwords that are comprised of 80% digits + symbols and only 20% letters. In this respect, the recipe is inherently discriminatory :)

The reason I suggested the possibility of three sliders (more as an afterthought) was not because three would be necessary. Rather, it would offer a very easy and visual way for users to see - at a single glance, without requiring any mental arithmetic - what their password is comprised of as they play with the recipe. More of a super user-friendly "nice to have", perhaps.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FragileBits,

We will certainly try to take all of your observations into account :smile:

This discussion has been closed.