Bug: UserID overwritten by email address when updating Password

Hello,

I've seen this on a few sites, but I've definitely reproduced it on Orcacard.com. I'm using Safari Version 9.0.2 (11601.3.9). I change my passwords periodically, and on the Orcarcard.com website time the 1Password extension pops up and offers to save the new login. If I click yes, it overwrites the username on file with the email address, but the email address isn't a valid UserID to log in with at orcacard.com

I get that the extension is saving a login and is attempting to auto-find the new login information on the page and is presuming the email address is the UserID, but I've tended to find that many password/profile update pages have an email address, but not the userid so the email address has to be removed and the userid manually added back.

Ideally the extension would just get it right, but I'd be happier if the change login (and even perhaps the initial save login) dialog mentions the UserID that is going to be saved and offers an option to correct it right then and there.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional info (like the HTML from the Orcacard site.)

Thanks,
Nick Barnard

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.0.BETA-2 (600002) AgileBits
Extension Version: 4.5.2.b2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2 (15C50)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nbarnard,

I'm not sure I could think of a behaviour that would drive me more nuts than to lose a username. I'll work on writing this up and let you know if anything from their site could assist.

Getting this fixed will sadly take time so what I'm about to write isn't mean to seem like a solution at all, it's merely what I would do to fix a Login item broken in this way.

1. Create a new backup using the File > Backup menu option in 1Password for Mac.
    2. This will open 1Password's preference window at the Backup tab. Select a backup from prior to the update.
    3. Click the now enabled Restore button and follow the steps laid out by 1Password for Mac.
    4. Make a note of the lost username.
    5. Re-enter 1Password's preferences, switching to the Backup tab.
    6. Select the backup you made in step 1. and click the Restore button.
    7. You will need to set up syncing again if you were using it before. The restoration of a backup disables all syncing as a precautionary measure. The last thing you want is sync containers messing up a restored backup (which you will have done for good reason) or the backup messing up the sync container and having it spread to other copies of 1Password.

It's a lot of jumping about but it will at least allow you to retrieve a lost username if you don't happen to remember what it is and the site doesn't offer a forgotten username link. You will hear no dispute from me, this is a workaround as we need to do better.

• nbarnard
    nbarnard
    Community Member

Hello @littlebobbytables,

Thank you for the workaround. I had forgotten 1Password keeps its own versioned backups. In this case I did remember the UserId.

I have seen this on at least one other site, but I forget which one. If I bump into any more I'll update this page.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

That would great if you can @nbarnard :smile: At least your incident had a happy ending if you did remember your user ID. I'm constantly making stuff up and there's a good reason I store this sort of stuff in 1Password - my memory is shocking!

This discussion has been closed.