Questions about licenses, trial expired, Parallels bundle, Mac and Windows versions

Options
jthor
jthor
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I had a trial version of 4.6 last year that I never used and it comes up as "trial expired". I now got an update for 5.1 in a bundle through purchase of Parallels upgrade. I downloaded and registered the 5.1 on my Mac and although it never asked me to enter the licence key, it appears to be activated (?) But I dont' understand how to use it - when I open it it says "trial expired" Also I understand the 4.6 is for Windows and the 5.0 is for Mac - is that right? I have a Mac with Parallels Windows platform. I would like to sync 1Password with iPad and iPhone but I also have a laptop with Windows only and I would like to sync with that as well. Should I be using 1 Password for Mac or for Windows (given that it appears I got version 5 for Mac as the upgrade, although it does not say so on my invoice form Parallels). I am not able to do anything with this software without some help. By the way, when I tried to log in to the forum, I was told my email/user name did not correspond to any account with 1Password - so I got in using Google connect but I will needed to know how to access my account and therefore I will need my user name (email) to be recognized. After hours of trying, I have no idea how to do get this up and running and it is very frustrating!

1Password Version: 5.1 and also expired trial for 4.6
Extension Version: don't know what this means
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: iCloud ?
Referrer: ug:mac/getting-started, ug:mac/installing-1password, ug:mac/installing-from-the-mac-app-store-mas, ug:mac/installing-from-the-agilebits-site, kb:add-license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jthor,

I'm sorry you're a bit frustrated with 1Password! I'm sure we can help to clear up any confusion and get everything set up and working correctly.

I changed the title of your forum thread to better reflect your questions, but in your original title you said you sent us an email. I tried searching our email system for the email address from your forum account but couldn't find anything. That could mean we never received it, or it could mean you sent it from a different email address. After sending the email, did you get an automated reply from our BitBot assistant? If so, you can let us know the Support ID number from that response so we can find it and confirm we received it (please don't post your email address here though, as these are public forums). If we received your email, you should definitely get a reply back from someone here! :)

I had a trial version of 4.6 last year that I never used and it comes up as "trial expired".

Are you referring to 1Password 4 for Windows? If so, you simply need to activate it by entering your license code for the Windows version. You can find the specific steps here: How do I add my license to 1Password? (Windows)

I searched in our system for the email address from your forum account and found your license information for 1Password 4 for Windows. I resent it to that email address in case you need a copy.

I now got an update for 5.1 in a bundle through purchase of Parallels upgrade.

I couldn't find a license in our system for you for the Mac version of 1Password, but that might mean you registered it with a different email address, or that you haven't yet registered it in our system (the information you received when you purchased the Parallels bundle should explain how to do that, if you still need to).

I downloaded and registered the 5.1 on my Mac and although it never asked me to enter the licence key, it appears to be activated (?) But I dont' understand how to use it - when I open it it says "trial expired"

We have information about the "trial expired" message here: "Trial Expired" notice (Mac)

1Password 5 for Mac is activated with a license file, rather than a code. If 1Password 5 for Mac currently says "trial expired", that means you haven't activated it with your license file. If you received a 1Password 5 for Mac license with a Parallels bundle and registered on our site, you should have received an email about that license from us, and it would have a link to apply the license file. To activate 1Password 5 for Mac with your license, please follow the steps here: How do I add my license to 1Password? (Mac)

Also I understand the 4.6 is for Windows and the 5.0 is for Mac - is that right?

The latest version of 1Password for Windows is 4.6.0.598. And the latest version of 1Password for Mac is 5.4.2. So, the answer is basically "yes". :)

I have a Mac with Parallels Windows platform. I would like to sync 1Password with iPad and iPhone but I also have a laptop with Windows only and I would like to sync with that as well.

In order to sync your 1Password data between Mac, iOS, and Windows, you'll need to use Dropbox sync. We have steps here:

Should I be using 1 Password for Mac or for Windows

You can use it on both, as long as you have licenses for both.

By the way, when I tried to log in to the forum, I was told my email/user name did not correspond to any account with 1Password - so I got in using Google connect but I will needed to know how to access my account and therefore I will need my user name (email) to be recognized.

Have you previously signed up for an account on our support forums? That would be completely separate from your 1Password data or any 1Password licenses you've purchased.

I hope this helps, at least a little. If you still have questions or can't find your license information or aren't completely sure what licenses you've purchased, please let us know and we'll be happy to continue helping you with that. Thanks! :)

• jthor
    jthor
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew
    Thanks for your detailed response. On my Mac: I did download and find the 4.6 version in my apps on my Mac, but the mini-password icon on my tool bar was for version 5! Then I upgraded it to 6 and that is now showing in my list of apps and in my tool bar but showing trial version expired. In the downloads when I click on 4.6 it does not open the "register-Help.enter licence key. Instead when I click it tries to open Windows on my Mac and just spins its wheels for a long time without connecting. You said it was already registered but I never entered the key and I can't open the program.
    Then on my laptop (not the Mac but the Windows 8.1) I downloaded the 4.6 but I don't see it anywhere (no miniPassword icon or link in desktop although I did check those boxes) and there is no place to enter the key and register. A message popped up form Internet Explorer Security dying a website wants to open web content using this program on my computer outside of protected mode. Is this what I am supposed to click on the get to the registration and activation page? Thanks...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jthor,

It sounds like you mostly need help with the Windows version of 1Password, so I've moved your message to our Windows forum. I hope you don't mind!

On my Mac: I did download and find the 4.6 version in my apps on my Mac, but the mini-password icon on my tool bar was for version 5!

Technically, there was never a version 4.6 for Mac - the last update for 1Password 4 for Mac was version 4.4.3. If you have a file that says it is 1Password version 4.6, I suspect you probably downloaded the installer for the Windows version on your Mac.

Then I upgraded it to 6 and that is now showing in my list of apps and in my tool bar but showing trial version expired.

1Password 6 for Mac is currently a beta version. Did you mean to install a beta? If not, you can drag that to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools) and then download 1Password 5 for Mac from our download site.

If 1Password for Mac is showing you that the trial version has expired, the following knowledgebase article will help to explain what you need to do: "Trial Expired" notice (Mac)

In the downloads when I click on 4.6 it does not open the "register-Help.enter licence key. Instead when I click it tries to open Windows on my Mac and just spins its wheels for a long time without connecting.

As I mentioned above, it sounds like you may have downloaded the installer for 1Password for Windows on your Mac. Windows and Mac are two different operating systems and require different apps, so the installer for 1Password for Windows will only work correctly on Windows (and I suspect that's why it tried to open your virtual Windows PC in Parallels).

You said it was already registered but I never entered the key and I can't open the program.

You have a license for 1Password for Windows which I found in our system (and sent to your email). If 1Password for Windows is installed on your virtual Windows PC, you'll need to activate it with your license code if you haven't already done so. Your license code for 1Password for Windows is in the license email you should have received yesterday.

If you can't open the 1Password program on Windows, that's an entirely different problem. But I think you might still be referring to the file on your Mac that you're trying to open, which tried to launch your virtual Windows PC in Parallels. It's best to think of that as a separate computer. You'll need to open Windows (via Parallels), and if you've already installed 1Password for Windows there, you should be able to open it there.

Then on my laptop (not the Mac but the Windows 8.1) I downloaded the 4.6 but I don't see it anywhere (no miniPassword icon or link in desktop although I did check those boxes) and there is no place to enter the key and register.

When you download 1Password for Windows from our download site, you are downloading an installer program. Once you've downloaded it, you need to find that file and open it to start the installation. We have steps for all this in this section of our user guide.

Does that help? If not, please let us know. :)

ref: 937215

This discussion has been closed.