Never been able to sync from PC - iOs devices using any option. D.B. won't sync, button problem.

Options
Edouard27
Edouard27
Community Member

I have never been able to get the sync to work. Original install of 1Password on Toshiba Windows PC running Win10 Pro. Works fine on PC. Other two devices are iPhone 6+ and iPad (model 1567). First tried wireless, I have an ASAS RT-AC66U dual band router. Tried every combo of bandwidths, didn't work, get connection time out. Gave up, trying Dropbox. That doesn't work either, although all the parts are in place, 1Password app in correct DB folder on PC. For some annoying reason, I have the 2 vault issue w both vault names the same. I do not know how to access them and safely delete the one that is sitting there unchecked doing nothing but causing trouble. The Dropbox button on the 1Password UI is greyed out. I can usually fix these things myself, but have spent way too much time on this, w no success whatsoever. Please help; I like your product, but believe I am paying for the multiple device option and it has never worked! - Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.1.90
OS Version: Win10 Pro 64-bit/ios 9.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:move-to-dropbox-disabled, kb-search:Dropbox button greyed out, kb:move-to-dropbox-disabled, kb-search:dropbox button greyed out, kb:move-to-dropbox-disabled

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Edouard27: First and foremost, there is no multiple device purchase option, so don't worry — you're not paying extra. ;)

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, be sure to follow the steps in the guide here and let me know exactly where you're running into trouble (any errors, etc.), otherwise it will be impossible to pinpoint what's going wrong to figure out a solution for you:

If you prefer Dropbox Sync

If you prefer Wi-Fi Sync

Since you're having trouble with both, perhaps 'security' software is blocking the connections. We'll get this sorted out for you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Edouard27
    Edouard27
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hello and thank you. At least w the Dropbox sync, which wasn't giving me actual connection errors, the problems were more in the realm of getting all the moving parts from multiple applications on two different OSs (on 3 devices) in order. THAT... was the larger problem. And having worked as a tech writer, I know from experience--when multiple apps by different companies are needed, each company has its own doc, but isn't responsible for teaching users how to use the other products--even though it's necessary to get the result you want. I needed to know how Dropbox worked, where the encrypted pwds were being stored, and most importantly why the use of 1Password w apps on iOs was so inconsistent. And also, in your doc, it appears that instructions are much better if the vault is on iOs and the direction is iOs->PC than the configuration I have, PC-> iOs. Well, it all seems to makes sense now, so tell me if I'm correct--or not:

1. You have to use 1Browser or your selected other browser to get 1Pwd to work. This was more confusing than you might think. For example, banking apps fly solo on iOs, as does Amazon. Facebook has its own login credential setup w iOs in the Settings, and doesn't need 1Password, like on the PC. Since these are my most used apps w passwords, I got incredibly confused when I didn't see a linkage w 1Password, but did see a list of passwords in 1Password that contained these apps. So if I want to use Chase w 1Password, for example, the trick is not to use the Chase app, but to do it the same way I would on a PC: through the Chase web site on the browser, which renders the Chase banking app kind of useless. I'm on the run, entering my 14-character randomly generated pwd on an iPhone is near impossible. I will add: the browser method w 1Browser produces text that is almost microscopic. I could barely see it with my reading glasses on my iPad. Moreover, the browser has a strict size limitation (that is, it's tiny) when you maximize it.

2. On dropbox, it took me forever to find the folder in which the encrypted passwords are stored, because they are tucked away deep in the Apps folder, and the Dropbox UI, on the PC end, which carries the primary vault (in my case), is kind of a joke--because there isn't one! When you run Dropbox on the PC, it takes you to Windows Explorer and the top level of the folder hierarchy where the Dropbox files are located. The Dropbox instructions and a disconnected UI are on the Web. As is a PDF of the User's Guide, which unfortunately is not what you want to read when you're installing an entirely different product (but probably need to)! So until I found the password files, I kept getting messages that said "6 files updated," when I have 30-something passwords. That confused me. I thought, "where are the other 24?"

3. On the 1Password end, actually performing a sync is not straightforward, as the button or link to start the sync seems to be in a Vault settings area, and the Sync setting itself lies elsewhere. That problem w the gray button being permanently disabled does not actually seem to affect operation--or maybe it is and I just don't know, but it has never been enabled, even with Dropbox working.Why is it there and why isn't it ever enabled?

I haven't been able to get the wireless method to even get to square 1, but the Dropbox method seems to be working as it should, if what I have reported above is correct. In which case, I don't care, because Dropbox seems more versatile and convenient--once it is set up.

Please let me know if I've left out or misconstrued anything important. Oh, and thanks for the reminder about the device limit--it gets hard to remember the restrictions when you have lots of these utilities with all kinds of plans based on the number of machines.

Thanks, Ed

• Ben
    Options

Hi Ed,

Glad to hear you are making some progress.

For #1, generally, yes, there are also a number of apps that have integrated 1Password:

AgileBits Blog | Apps ❤ 1Password

For anything else you can copy & paste from 1Password into the app.

For #3, 1Password will automatically sync when you launch the app. You don't need to go into the settings every time to sync.

I hope that helps! Thanks!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Edouard27: In case it helps, make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password for iOS. There were sync issues that affected some people previously to this week's release of version 6.2, so it may be that some of the problems you encountered were related to that.

I'd definitely recommend Dropbox, since it syncs in the background automatically anywhere you have an internet connection. Be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can help with! :)

• Edouard27
    Edouard27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm afraid this odyssey is not over. It seems that only 6 passwords from 1Password on Windows show up on ios devices w Dropbox. No matter how many times I synch w Dropbox, that all I get. I notice that the files for these six passwords were copied/relocated upwards several folders in the Windows file system, so I tried copying the others to that location. This did nothing. So, the sync function is not really working properly, and passwords for the majority of my applications are unavailable on the ios devices. Perhaps I have to reinstall everything, but this is time consuming, so I don't want to bother unless it's absolutely necessary. Please let me know where to go from here.

Thanks, Ed

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Edouard27: Okay. Let's focus on Dropbox then, since it's the syncing that's getting you. Is Dropbox installed and running on your PC? It may simply be out of date there, so be sure to install the latest version from their site. Then, follow this guide to verify your Dropbox setup:

Dropbox troubleshooting

We want to make sure that files 1Password creates (or modifies) are actually being uploaded to the server, which will also help narrow down the problem. Please let me know what you find. Thanks in advance! :)

• Edouard27
    Edouard27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Honestly, this situation is not only frustrating, it has become ridiculous. I had to give up on it for a while. I started to attempt to synch again about a week ago and it's the same situation. It does not work. Not on WiFi, not on DropBox, not on anything. I have taken to hand copying the logins on the iOs devices, so at least I'll have the passwords when I need them. Synching between my PC and the iPad and iPhone does not work. And the cause is nothing that has been suggested or recommended in the emails. So let's start with something simple: my license.

Now even something so simple has been incredibly difficult. Any time I attempt to check, I wind up in an endless loop where the one critical piece of information I need to complete the task is unavailable. Were you aware of this?

For example, I get a link that tells me to "go the store" to check whether I am covered for iOs devices, in addition to my PC. Well, when a user goes to "the store," it becomes like looking for a bottle of mustard in Costco; there is no heading for this situation, you have to hunt for the info; and really, it's not there, you have to guess. OK, so I finally get to a link that tells me I may have "a license," and I have to go about it some other way. Yes, I know I have a license. It's right on the email. OK, I even have my key. But that's evidently not enough!

Now I have to supply a piece of information that is not defined, and I have no idea what is. It's some ID I need to supply next to the box that has the label ".1Password". I can't even remember how I got there, it is so convoluted. So you know what? Please just check my license, and do it for me. I don't want to spend any more time on this crazy labyrinth of links and emails that do not supply me with what I need. See if my license, which I purchased, is valid for a PC and 2 iOs devices, where I am the only user. Here is the order number: ch_5sZ5n3KTGNiIcH . Date of purchase: 3/15/15. "What you purchased: 1 Single license for 1Password 4 for Windows (single license)."

Let's start there. Then we can see why Dropbox does not work (now, it does work--in seconds most of the time--for everything else I use Dropbox for, just not for your product, btw), despite me trying everything in creation to get it to synch, including all your help screens and email recommendations and common sense attempts by me. And maybe why the WiFi connection also just says "no way" every time. That's ridiculous. It's not possible with the equipment I have (standard top of the line everything) for this situation to exist. Even the lousy password manager I had before 1Password could synch, although its UI was from hell.

Thanks, Edward Covello

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Edouard27: I'm really sorry for the confusion and frustration here. You definitely have a 1Password for Windows license purchased from AgileBits. That's what you'll use to register 1Password for Windows and remove the trial restrictions on all of your PCs.

But the reason you're not able to find iOS license information is that no iOS apps have licenses; rather, all of your App Store purchases are tied to the Apple ID you used, so you can download 1Password (or any other iOS app) from your purchase history within the App Store on the device itself. If you've purchased the Pro version in the past, the App Store should automatically restore it as well, but you can also restore the purchase from within 1Password if necessary.

Once you've got the apps themselves sorted out, I'd like you to check something for me. It sounds like you have your data in 1Password for Windows already. If that's true, that's the vault we should start with. Open 1Password and go to Preferences > General. There, you'll see the path to the vault you're using (presumably somewhere within your Dropbox folder). What we need to do is get all of your devices using the same vault, so if that one (on the PC) has all of your data, the simplest thing to do would be setup Dropbox sync on your other devices to point to the very same path in Dropbox. We'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• Edouard27
    Edouard27
    Community Member
    Options

Could you please provide me with a login? Evidently my former login to Support does not work anymore, and when I ask for a reset, I get a password reset email that is already filled in w one of your support techs userIDs and password, and the fields are all read-only. So I cannot create a new password because the reset email is unusable. I would appreciate that, so that if I have to continue the discussion on my other devices that do not have "Leave a Comment" boxes I can do so. At any rate, I have followed your initial step. I also checked out my Dropbox apps on the 2 iOs devices. It seems that the info on them cannot be easily changed or manipulated, and I'm unable to specify locations. So it is likely I have to remove them and download new ones. Is that true?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Edouard27,

The fact that you posted here means you signed in successfully to this forum. If you are having trouble signing in somewhere else, could you let me know the specific URL of the login page where you can't sign in? If you have trouble replying here on the forum, you can also reach us by email: support+forum@agilebits.com

If you email us, be sure to include a link to this discussion so the person who sees the email can "connect the dots". :)

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56118/never-been-able-to-sync-from-pc-ios-devices-using-any-option-d-b-wont-sync-button-problem#latest

As for syncing with Dropbox, you do not need the Dropbox apps on your iOS devices. 1Password does not use them to sync. All the code to sync with Dropbox is built in to the 1Password app itself.

Close the Dropbox app, and open the 1Password app on your iOS device instead. Then go to Settings > Sync where you should be able to start syncing with Dropbox and choose the correct vault. If you're already syncing with the wrong vault, you can disable syncing and then turn it back on to select the correct one. You won't be given the choice to select a vault if 1Password only finds a single vault in your Dropbox folder, though. If that's the case, it may be easier to get a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC. That will show us exactly what's happening in 1Password for Windows, so we can make sure you are syncing with the right vault on iOS.

Let me know. :+1:

• Edouard27
    Edouard27
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Problem w logging in occurred when responding to messages using my iOs devices, not on PC. On PC, I get sent to "Leave a Comment Box," and I'm apparently automatically logged in. On iOs devices, I was getting thrown into a loop w a "Reset Password" email that wouldn't let me reset the password--because all the fields were read only. That was not the case today, where I was able to reset my password on iPad, and those same fields were writable. Not the main issue, just frustrating (the sample text "wendy@appleseed.com" and then a password field with "........." without any explanation, and read only, was especially baffling...)

I got everything fixed! The key concept you brought up was to "not" have a Dropbox on the iOs apps. After a few mishaps, I just deleted all the 1Password and Dropbox app instances on the iOs devices, then re-installed the 1Password app on the iPhone and iPad. Everything now works perfectly. Thank you for your patience and getting to the bottom of the problem!

Edward Covello

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@Edouard27: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of khad, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well.

I do want to mention one thing regarding your login issues: You may want to check the URL you have saved in this Login in 1Password. It sounds like you're already logged in on the PC (so, no problem there), but from your description it sounds like on iOS you're using the Wendy Appleseed login from the demo vault, which is causing the reset loop you've experienced. Let us know if you still need help with that! :)

This discussion has been closed.