Syncing from my iphone to my MAC

Options
judi_read
judi_read
Community Member

I want to sync my iphone to my MAC but I remember that there was a master password that I set up when I purchased 1 Password. I have no idea what it is and I see where there is nothing that can be done to sync my devices if I don't have that password. Can I upgrade and then put in a new master password? Is there something else I can do? I purchased 1 Password about 4 years ago. I have upgraded my phone to a 6S iphone and my MAC computer operating system is El Capitan. I am willing to upgrade if this will fix the problem or I am willing to start over if I have to as long as I can transfer what I already have in 1 Password.

1Password Version: 3.7.2
Extension Version: only on my phone
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/installing-from-the-mac-app-store-mas, ug:mac/installing-from-the-agilebits-site, ug:mac/first-run, ug:mac/, kb-search:Wanting to sync my iphone to my MAC desktop

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@judi_read - There is bad news for you, I'm afraid. There is no way to recover your existing data if you cannot remember your master password. That's part of the security that's built in to protect your data from intruders. Updating the software won't help, and no one can reset the master password without entering the old one.

There are some suggestions for you to try to help you attempt to recover your master password in this article: I lost or forgot my Master Password. Help!

If nothing there helps, you'll need to follow these directions to start over: How do I start over with an empty vault?

Do be sure to try the tips for recovering your password though. Post back if you have other questions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@judi_read: Indeed. I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password! For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. Nor do we have any information about your Master Password we could use to help you find it. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information, even if we were the only ones who could exploit it. This way, no one, not even someone at AgileBits, can read your secure data. Definitely try the tips hawkmoth suggested, in case it helps. Let us know how it turns out!

• judi_read
    judi_read
    Community Member
    Options

The article on "I lost or forgot my Master Password" did not help as I made up this password about 4 years ago, made it a difficult password, wrote it on a piece of paper and then lost the paper. My 1Password works great on my phone but I was hoping to put it on my computer but can not without the master password. The only thing I know to do is to buy a brand new app of 1Password and start all over. If I did this and loaded it on my computer, once I downloaded that to my phone would it override what I have or would I have 2 different apps on my phone? That would give me time to retype all the information from my first 1Password.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@judi_read - There is no need to buy a new license. The one you have will work fine to start over. My last post gave you the link to find directions for starting over.

Also, your Mac application and the iOS application are completely separate - you won't use the same for both. You'll need to start over separately on each. If I were you, I would start over on the Mac, and then set the Mac and iOS version to sync with each other to transfer your data from Mac to phone.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @judi_read,

As hawkmoth mentioned, what you're looking to do can be accomplished by following the steps in this article:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Your original post states 1Password version number 3.7.2, and iCloud as the sync method. To use iCloud sync, you'll need to upgrade to version 5 or 6.

Did you buy it originally from the Mac App Store or our AgileBits Store?

This discussion has been closed.