Cannot install Safari Extension unless it comes from the Extension Gallery

Options
PLMan
PLMan
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Safari plugin 4.5.1 nor 4.5.2b3 install in Safari 9.0.2 (11601.3.9) on El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50). There is just message that plugin can't be installed

1Password Version: 6.0 BETA-6
Extension Version: 4.5.1, 4.5.2.b3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2 (15C50)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @PLMan,

Is there an older version of the plug installed already? If so, try uninstalling it, and then installing the new one, and restarting Safari.

Regards,
    Kevin

• PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member
    Options

This made the job. I was rather reporting that there is problem which not too advanced user will not solve. Extension update should work seamlessly. Moreover maybe it is time to match 1P version and extension version? Will be more meaningful if extension will be in v. 6 not 2.

• azebr
    azebr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

same here, Safari Plugin doesn't install. Safari is 9.0.2, plugins 4.5.2 plus beta. I removed the older plugin (previous version), I also tried to copy the plugin into /Users/azebr/Library/Safari/Extensions. In the first case – trying to install it by double clicking etc – Safari opens the plugin page, but the extension doesn't show at all, no error message, nothing. Copying the plugin into the above mentioned folder has simply no result, the plugin doesn't show. I have been trying same thing on a different Mac just the day before, and after half an hour or so it suddenly was there – I couldn't believe. However, even this didn't work today with the brand-new version of the plugin. Please help.

Thanks,

Armin

• azebr
    azebr
    Community Member
    Options

Kevin, me once more. Forgot to mention, that it worked without trouble on my MacBook this morning with equal software configuration. Strange, isn't it? Oh my … If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Armin

• MB2
    MB2
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Same here.
    OS X 10.10.5
    Safari 9.0.2
    Safari Extension 4.5.2 or 4.5.2b3 won't install after I press TRUST.
    Removed every extension & same results.
    Chrome & FF extensions installed fine.

Is the older version somewhere I could download & install?

• jdehnert
    jdehnert
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue. My Mac is running OS X 10.11.2, Safari 9.0.2 and I can't install extension version 4.5.1.
    I did upgrade 1Password to V 6.0 this morning. I am able to go to the Safari Extensions web page and install extension V 4.4.4.

• haggy
    haggy
    Community Member
    Options

I did upgrade 1Password to V 6.0 this morning, exact the sam issue. OS X 10.11.2, Safari 9.0.2 and I can't install extension version 4.5.2 or 4.5.2b3 Remove all extensions, remove Folder not help. I am able to go to the Safari Extensions web page and install extension V 4.4.4
    that all.

• Hi everyone,

For those still having issues, please follow the procedures outlines here:
    https://support.1password.com/safari-cannot-install-extension/

If that doesn't help, please let us know exactly what the error message says, including any error numbers, if provided, and we will do our best to get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
    Kevin

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

I have done everything including deleting the extensions folder, but nothing works. I get the "trust" message and then nothing.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Deleting the Extension folder did not help. Sorry, no message. Extension does not appear.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jsoden we really need more information than that in order to help you. Please tell us:

Stephen

• @jsoden Did you try the guide that Kevin linked to above? If you did, what error message are you seeing? Perhaps that will clue us in on what's happening.

• Hey @jsoden! Sorry for the trouble. If you could post a bit more info as Stephen mentioned, that'll give us a better idea of what the issue may be. For now, did this knowledge base article help out? I know you mentioned that you removed the extensions folder entirely, but I thought it was worth a try mentioning it. :+1: Also, I'd suggest a quick reboot. If that doesn't help, a bit more info about your system and stuff will help immensely. Thanks so much!

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

The deleting of the extension folder was the last resort method in Kevin's guide, and I get no error messages. I get the do you trust selection, then nothing.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I discovered a bug in your web site. I entered all the information requested by both of you:

MacOS X 10.11.2
    Safari 9.02
    1Password 5.4 (540046)
    Safari extension 4.5.2

when I opened the ticket. However I got the message that I needed authenticate my email. After I replied to the email, I was not presented with all of the fields, so I was not sure whether or not the information was still there.

I tried kevin's guide, deleting the extensions. I have both restarted the browser (several times in the process) and my computer. I get the do you trust the third party extension message, but nothing else...

• ymmij
    ymmij
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Same issue as above. Safari 9.02, extension 4.5.2 and Yosemite 10.10.5.
    Sometimes I get as far as clicking Trusted, but then it does not install. Other times it just gives me the error message.
    Only thing that installs is the 4.4.4 version from the Safari Extensions web page.

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jsoden,

I'm currently working with somebody else with what sounds like the same issue. The problem is Safari is silently failing and so far there isn't anything in the logs to go by either so we're not sure if we're looking at a single cause or multiple causes with the same symptoms. It seems to be connected to something in your profile given the other person found a brand new OS X user account allowed the extension to be installed properly without incident.

How many extensions do you currently have installed in Safari? What I'd like to suggest is reseting the extensions database and see if that helps.

Wiping Safari's extensions

To start make sure Safari is not opened.

Preference plist

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to your Trash.

Extension files

1. Like above, open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted folder to your Desktop.

Safari Extensions List

1. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/.
    2. Search on the word safari and you should have 3 entries in the results.
    3. You want to right click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.

After all of that reboot your Mac and you'll need to go through the steps of installing your extensions again. I would like you to start with the 1Password extension from our 1Password Browser Extensions page and see if it successfully installs from this clean slate. If it does you can then start to install your previous extensions. To help this is why I asked you to move the Extensions folder to your Desktop and not simply to delete. You should be able to double click on each and install them that way without a) having to remember what extensions you had installed and b) scour the web to find where you found it.

Let us know how you get along.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsoden & @ymmij,

It seems those instructions are slightly out of date and don't remove all the various locations Safari stores information about the extensions, can you instead try the steps in this post please. Parts are the same but you will notice you also need to access your OS X keychain too.

We're sorry about this, we're still unsure why Safari is silently failing.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

That didn't change anything. I can install via the apple site, but nowhere else. Not even those extensions that were previously installed from the folder copied in step three (extension files). Installing 1password from your website does not install, even following these instruction.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I found 9 entries in the Keychain, three were for credit cards, and the rest I am not familiar with.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, it didn't work. Also the extensions that I copied to the desktop will not reinstall. I had to re-download them from the Safari Extensions web page.

• ymmij
    ymmij
    Community Member
    Options

My experience same as for jsoden. But for me, some of the extensions were sourced outside of the Safari Extensions page.
    So I downloaded those, and get the same results as the 1Password Extension. The 'Trust' dialog comes up...I accept, and nothing installs. No error message at all.

Tried logging into my 'Admin' user which I keep for these kind of situations. Acts just the same as my user space.

?????

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsoden,

When it comes to your OS X keychain there was only one entry that mattered and it was the one titled Safari Extension List. To help clarify here is an image of the Keychain Access window from my own Mac.

I search for the word Safari and it brings up these three entries. The one we want you to delete is the third, the one I've highlighted.

From your second post I'm unsure if you deleted this one or not. I find that removing the various folders and files isn't sufficient to clear the extensions database, you have to remove this keychain entry too.

Now if you definitely removed it as part of resetting Safari's extensions database that's fine but if you didn't I'd ask you to go through all the steps again to ensure it is all removed in one go.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

"Safari Extensions List" is the one I deleted!

Again, the only Extensions I can install are the ones installed from the Apple site, No other extensions can be installed. Even if it was originally installed from the Apple site, and copied to the desktop... to be reinstalled...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jsoden, (and @ymmij too)

jsoden , I've merged the two threads as we're duplicating work in multiple locations and probably only making it more frustrating for you as the user.

What do we know for sure?

1. There are multiple people for whom they cannot install the 1Password Safari Extension unless it comes from the Safari Extension Gallery. If they try to install the newer version from our site it silently fails after clicking the Trust button.
    2. Based on your reports wiping the extensions database has not helped.
    3. At least one of you has reported the same issue is present in another OS X user account. A completely different case from the ones discussed here found creating a brand new OS X user account did work.
    4. It's happening only to a small percentage of people.
    5. We haven't yet had somebody here at AgileBits suffer this. I'm installing and uninstalling extensions all day yet I haven't fallen into this trapped state yet.

I wonder if somebody or even multiple people would be willing to try the following for us.

1. Create a brand new OS X Admin account.
    2. Login into this account.
    3. Attempt to install the 1Password Safari Extension into Safari from our 1Password Browser Extensions page.

If it installs we at least know the issue isn't system-wide although we are still some way from isolating the cause. If it doesn't install, can you create a diagnostic report at this point in this account. The instructions for creating a diagnostic report can be found at:

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it.

I really want to discover the cause just as much as all of you. This issue really annoys me because I'm unable to offer a solution right now and it's getting in your way of getting things to work.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

"I wonder if somebody or even multiple people would be willing to try the following for us.
    Create a brand new OS X Admin account.
    Login into this account.
    Attempt to install the 1Password Safari Extension into Safari from our 1Password Browser Extensions page."

Just did this, installed extension ver. 4.5.2 as expected.

• ymmij
    ymmij
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I just tried installing the extension from your 1Password Browser Extensions page.
    This was to a newly created admin account.
    It displayed the 'Trust' dialog...I accepted, but nothing was installed.
    I ran the diagnostic, and just emailed that zip file to you. It included the zip file and link to this discussion.

ref: KNR-43257-134

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I created a new OS X Admin, went to the 1Password Browser Extensions page, downloaded the Extension, double clicked on the download in safari, as per instructions. I got the Extension window opening, and the "do you trust" message. I clicked on the "trust" button, and nothing... No message, no Extension, the "do you trust" window just went away, nothing further.

Diag created in test environment, and sent with link to this discussion.

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Also just to let you know the "Safari Extensions List" keychain was never recreated, even when I sucsessfully installed new Safari Extensions from the apple site.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @ymmij & @jsoden,

Thank you both for trying this for me and for sending in the diagnostic reports.

@jsoden, I've tried searching but so far haven't been able to locate your email. It's either the system fighting with me or I'm being an idiot. Did you receive an automated reply from us which would have included a ticket ID. That ticket ID will let me locate the email and would be great if you don't mind.

It also seems we're dealing with at least two causes given it has worked for one of you but not two.

ref: KNR-43257-134

This discussion has been closed.