Cannot install Safari Extension unless it comes from the Extension Gallery

Options
2»

Comments

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

For your reference, your support ID is [#TFB-64224-496].

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member
    Options

It's not an entirely silent failure:

1/19/16 12:19:05.465 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[629]: Error -60005 creating authorization
    1/19/16 12:19:05.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.WebKit(1651) deny file-read-data /Applications/Safari.app
    1/19/16 12:19:05.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.WebKit(1651) deny file-read-data /Applications/Safari.app/Contents

• mdauwa
    mdauwa
    Community Member
    Options

The extension can install when you start your mac in Save Mode.
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214760/force-installing-untrusted-safari-extensions

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsoden,

Thanks for letting us know! We received your email, and I see that someone replied to you (if you didn't receive the email, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). Hopefully that will help us figure out what's causing this problem.

ref: TFB-64224-496

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @TnIan! I can pass that along to see if it helps us. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdauwa, thanks for the link - very interesting! Hopefully we'll be able to figure out an easier solution, but it helps to know that can be done if necessary.

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member
    Options

I don't suppose there's any forward progress on this, is there?

• Hi @Tnlan,

We don't have a final solution yet, but we do know that some people have had luck simply by restarting their Mac. We realize this is not an ideal solution, and are still looking into it.

Regards,
    Kevin

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member
    Options

That did the trick, thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for confirming that solved the problem, I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. Please let us know if you run into more problems or have any questions. Cheers! :)

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't solve the problem for me. Could you at least update the Apple Extension site, at least until a final solution is found?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsoden,

When you say that didn't solve the problem, do you mean restarting your Mac?

Could you at least update the Apple Extension site, at least until a final solution is found?

I'm not quite sure what you mean - what would you like us to update on the Safari Extension Gallery? The latest version of the 1Password extension (4.5.3) is currently available there (it had been a slightly older version there until Apple approved the latest one at some point in January, I believe). Are you able to install it from there?

• jsoden
    jsoden
    Community Member
    Options

Well, That is a bit of confusion. Apparently Apple updated your extension auto-magically on my computer and did not inform me of the update... On the Apple Extension web site, all it says is that it is installed, not what version is there...

So when I tried to install from your web site it failed as it always did... I restarted my computer and attempted to install again and it failed again. However the Apple version is running and appears to be the current one...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsoden, that's great news! (Well, aside from the fact that it caused some confusion, of course.)

Safari will automatically update extensions that are installed from the Safari Extension Gallery (as long as that's enabled in the Safari extension preferences). It sounds like you already had the previous version of the extension installed from there, so Safari would have updated it for you once it became available (although I don't think Safari gives a notification when it does that).

Sorry for any confusion about that, but I'm happy to hear it all seems to be ok now. If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member
    Options

This is not an AgileBits issue.

I JUST installed a brand new El Capitan 10.11.4 via Apple's Internet Recovery, onto a formatted hard disk. It's literally as fresh as OS X gets. And Safari cannot install any extensions except via the Extensions Gallery.

I've tried Canisbos DirectLinks, Adblock Plus, etc, just to check a bunch of things. I've tried Ctrl+F7 and pressing "Trust" via the keyboard etc. I've tried deleting ~/Library/Safari to start over. Nothing works. Safari silently rejects every extension that doesn't come from the gallery.

My guess is that it's a new bug in Safari. Strange that they haven't fixed it yet since this thread is months old, and it seems to have been a bug since at least November of 2015: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214760/force-installing-untrusted-safari-extensions

Note that on my other El Capitan machine which was upgraded from Yosemite (so it was NOT installed fresh), I am able to install any extension just by pressing Trust. So it's perhaps some screwed up bug in Apple's handling of brand new OS X installations as opposed to migrations. Maybe nobody at Apple ever noticed it since they all use the ten extensions in the official Gallery. ;-)

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member
    Options

I posted some more info in this thread but my post (invisible above) needs moderation. Probably because of the web link in it.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Thanks for the info Temptin. Yes, it does appear to be a Safari issue. littlebobbytables' link on the first page usually clears it up.

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I installed OS X 10.11.5 today (from 10.11.4), which brought Safari 9.1.1 with it. And now I am able to install Safari extensions that don't come from the gallery. Seems like Apple finally fixed the bug! :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @Temptin! I'm glad things are working well for you again. :)

For anyone else playing the home version of "Will Safari let me install extensions?" you should be able to install 1Password from the Safari Extensions Gallery even if you can't install extensions from outside the gallery.

Cheers!

• Temptin
    Temptin
    Community Member
    Options

@khad Hehe. No need for anyone to worry anymore. I did another fresh install of 10.11.5 with Safari 9.1.1 today, and extensions can be installed from anywhere. Apple finally fixed it. Woo!

The bug was introduced in El Capitan. All that people need to do to fix it is upgrade to 10.11.5.

Sidenote: I don't know if Yosemite was ever affected. If Safari for Yosemite also had the bug, then upgrade to Safari 9.1.1 via software update, if Apple offers it.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know the newest version of Safari has fixed the extensions issues! 8-)

• saltarob
    saltarob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

following helped on my computer:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7254177?tstart=0

"Mar 29, 2016 3:08 AM in response to iBleedIn6Colors
    Thank you (and @akawe) for putting me on the right track. This is it. It’s not an expired certificate that is wreaking havoc, but one whose issuer is no longer recognized and which is replaced with a newer one in the System Roots keychain. Somehow, it ended in the login keychain, probably because it was downloaded as part of cert chain for some website at some point in the past.

The fix is to delete the “VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5” certificate from your login keychain to make Apple sites show the green EV certificate and the extensions gallery starts working."

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @saltarob

Thanks for sharing this information. I hope that this is not an issue anymore, but it's always good to know what helps :chuffed:

• myuser
    myuser
    Community Member
    Options

Had this problem today with the Google scholar button extension. It helped..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.