1Password won't allow me to authorize iCloud sync with existing Apple ID

rkbaker48
rkbaker48
Community Member

I upgraded today to the newest version of 1Password, looking forward to being able to sync my Macs and iOS devices (the latter running iOS 9.2) using iCloud rather than Dropbox. (I purchased 1Password directly from AgileBits, rather than the Mac App Store.) I changed the sync setting to iCloud in the 1Password preferences, and a new screen came up asking me to login. I wasn't sure if this was to log in using AgileBit credentials or iCloud credentials. It became clear that the login required my Apple ID, which ends in "@mac.com." I received an error message indicating that I could not use "[my username]@mac.com." I decided that I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing my Apple ID to (presumably) [username]@icloud.com, since it would involve changing iTunes, 3 Macs, 2 iOS devices, and 2 AppleTVs. So I quit out of the process and rechecked using Dropbox as the synchronization location for my 1Password data. Unfortunately, my Mac now no longer syncs with my iOS devices. (I tested this by adding a secure note in my MacBook's 1Password file. It did not sync to either my iPhone or iPad.) Is there no way to sync 1Password in iCloud with my (long time) existing Apple ID? Is this a feature that may be made available in the near future? How can I restart Dropbox synchronization? Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/, ug:mac/sync-preferences, kb:icloud-faq

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rkbaker48,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with iCloud and Dropbox sync! We'll be happy to help you with whichever sync method you'd prefer - would you rather use iCloud sync?

I'm not sure why you're getting that error when signing into that site with your Apple ID. If your Apple ID is a mac.com email address, it should definitely work - in fact, I tested that just now to make sure, and it worked fine for me with my mac.com address. Unfortunately we don't have much control over this part of the setup process, since you're signing into an Apple service at that point. However, it might help if we could see the exact error message you're getting. Would you be able to take a screenshot of that? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

In the meantime, if you're trying to get Dropbox sync to work again temporarily, and you've re-enabled it on your Mac but it's not actually syncing changes to/from 1Password on your iOS devices, the following troubleshooting guide may help to solve that: Dropbox sync is not working in 1Password

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rkbaker48,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

The prompt that came up when you attempted to sync with iCloud is indeed asking for you Apple ID. We don't have any control over that. All we get is a token from Apple once Apple confirms you have logged in to a valid Apple ID.

So if your credentials aren't working there, you may need to talk to Apple. We will certainly do our best to help, but ultimately you are logging in with Apple for that not us.

If you wanted to get Dropbox syncing working again, you may just need to disable syncing and then enable Dropbox syncing again on your iOS devices.

But it's up to you. Just let me know if you'd like to sync with iCloud or Dropbox. We'll put our energy into getting whichever one you would like to use working for you. :)

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member

Well I'm not sure what has happened, but this time I was able to log in with my "[username]@mac.com" Apple ID. This may be proof that there is indeed a Ghost in the machine! Thanks very much for offering help!

• Thanks for the update @rkbaker48. Glad to hear you were able to get it to work. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.