Opvault is very slow to unlock initially [Expected at the moment, will be improved in the future]

Options
fudan10u
fudan10u
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Overview

If I try to unlock the vault of 1Password, it may take time to unlock.

Environment

• OS - Windows 10 Pro (10.0.10586 Build 10586, 32bit)
  • 1Password - 1Password for Windows (ver.4.6.0.598)
  • Vault Type - opvault
  • Sync Type - Dropbox

Steps to Reproduce

1. I was restart Windows.
  2. I signed in with a user that is using 1Password.
  3. I started 1Password.
  4. I have entered the master password, in the main window of 1Password.
  5. 1Password to play a sound when the vault is unlocked. However, 1Password was left to display "1Password (Not Responding)" dialog from about 10~30 seconds.

In this case, 1Password.exe were using the CPU 50~95%.
  6. After a while, 1Password to unlock the vault, 1Password displaying the item list.

Reproducibility

100%

Remarks

• The second time unlock later, it will be unlocked immediately.
  • This phenomenon, when I restart Windows, and reproduce.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (10.0.10586 Build 10586, 32bit)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @fudan10u,

At the moment, this is normal because you're using the OPVault format. 1Password will optimize as you keep using it and will be faster on successive unlocks until you log out or restart the computer as you've noticed. We do plan to improve this in the future but I don't have a timeframe on this.

One thing that will help is to select a less used category on the sidebar when you lock 1Password, so that it's much faster to unlock in the future. If you have hundreds of Login items, when 1Password unlocks, it has to decrypt all of them to get their titles to load into the interface, thus the slow performance. If you select something like Credit Cards and lock 1Password, unlocking 1Password will only decrypt the smaller # of credit card items and it'll take a few seconds instead of 30+ seconds.

• fudan10u
    fudan10u
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @MikeT.

Thank you for the explanation and advice.
    I understood, that this problem is a specification of at the moment.

In the near future, I hope that this problem can be improved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Me too! Thanks for your understanding. We'll continue to work to improve this — for all of us! :chuffed:

• kpouer
    kpouer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I also have the same problem, with 400 logins in my vault, even my iPhone is unlocking faster than my core i7 on Windows. Moving the vault on a SSD helps a little.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. An SSD can help a lot since 1Password for Windows is decrypting on the fly while reading from disk, but we're looking at ways to improve performance and optimize in future versions.

This discussion has been closed.