1password failed to connect to 1password mini

Options
ranvel
ranvel
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Hello!
I downloaded 1password 6 today (Agile Bits version) after removing my previous AppStore version. Now it won't start, giving the following error: "1password failed to connect to 1password mini"

I tried all the steps here, replacing the 5 with a 6 in step 1:
https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini

I also used PathFinder to find and delete anything on my disk with com.agilebits.*
I also tried the 6.0.1 beta version that is available.
I don't know what else to do.

Many thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ranvel: Please tell me you didn't delete anything in Application Support. :dizzy:

However, 'cannot connect' errors are most frequently caused by 'security' software or firewall/proxy settings. Do you have other software on your Mac that may be blocking the connection? Have you tried restarting? Please try the steps in this guide, as they'll help narrow things down further:

Extension troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• ranvel
    ranvel
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted everything this time I redeleted everything with com.agilebits.* or "1password". I still have my vault on my iOS so I can recreate that and the 1Password (Agilebits version) is licensed differently, right? Also, I have backups of everything, so I could go back to yesterday if I really did hose everything.

I don't use the OSX firewall, but I do have Little Snitch, which is turned off.

All of the stuff in the "extension troubleshooting" seems to be talking about a browser plugin, which I don't use.

In the onepassword log, I'm getting the following entries:
    Fri Jan 15 07:41:16 2016| 600008 [XPC:(Main Thread):] E startHelper | We tried to start '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper' but it is not shown as running. We'll rely on SMLoginItemSetEnabled return value.
    Fri Jan 15 07:41:19 2016| 600008 [APP:(Main Thread):] S hockeyManagerStarted | XPC connection is not yet available, retrying 4/60 in 1 sec...
    Fri Jan 15 07:42:16 2016| 600008 [APP:(Main Thread):] S hockeyManagerStarted | XPC connection is not yet available, retrying 61/60 in 1 sec...
    Fri Jan 15 07:46:10 2016| 600008 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S stopHelper | Stopping '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper'
    Fri Jan 15 07:46:10 2016| Good-bye!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded my 2 machines to the MAS version and upon initial launch, both beachballed and then had the error "1password failed to connect to 1password mini". 1PW was closed.

Upon reopening, it all seemed to work ok.

Not a great upgrade experience.

-Kevin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ranvel,

Can you launch 1Password for us please so that you get this error message and then create a diagnostic report, this guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @netnothing,

I've seen another report that mentioned issues with launching 1Password for the first time after updating via Apple's App Store. It's very hard to say right now what the issue might have been as we're not able to easily simulate an update from Mac App Store, or at least that is my understanding. While not fantastic at least a second launch worked and there has been no adverse effects. What we have to do now is figure out what happened and why.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@netnothing: This also happens to me nearly every time I update an app though the Mac App Store. I thought it was just me (I have to reboot my Mac a lot too, probably due to my tab problem...)

It sounds like it's working for you now, but be sure to reach out if you have any other issues. I predict that you'll have another update opportunity soon. ;)

• ranvel
    ranvel
    Community Member
    Options

I restarted again (a second time) AND I used the beta version and now everything is perfect. One of those two things worked.

Fantastic app! iCloud sync worked like a charm!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ranvel,

I'm glad to hear a restart helped, now we just need to figure out why as we don't want this being part of the update process :(

• Jacob
    edited January 2016
    Options

@ranvel Aww darn it. We were just working on your issue. Well, we're glad you got things sorted out, of course. If you ever notice anything else, please let us know.

ref: IRI-79265-812

• ranvel
    ranvel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for checking into it!

• No problem at all. :+1:

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with the 6.0.1 update. Starting hangs initially.

-Kevin

• @netnothing Is the issue the same as what you mentioned before? How often does it occur?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Yeah same issues as the upgrade to 6.0. Upon first start after the upgrade it hangs. I had to on both my machines click on the helper in Chrome to get it to eventually work.

After you finally get it started, it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

-Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

@netnothing: Were you able to generate a diagnostics report afterward (as lil bobby suggested here earlier)? That should include logs that might help us narrow down the cause. If not, doing so now won't make any difference, as the logs are cycled over time. Please let me know!

Edit: And to be clear, like any other app, 1Password needs to be quit completely in order for the App Store to update it properly, so I wonder if that might be related.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Sorry, didn't even think about it at the time. It does sound like it's an issue with 1PW talking to Mini. What was weird this time on my Mac Pro was it kept hanging.....but once I tried to active Mini it finally gave the error and I was able to quit and successfully open 1PW.

-Kevin

• @netnothing Hmm, that is a bit strange. Is it working properly now? If not, please do send along a diagnostics report as mentioned earlier in this thread. That'll help us figure out what the issue is. :) Thanks!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Yup, everything working fine now.

-Kevin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @netnothing,

It will certainly be interesting to discover what's different this time and why the update isn't happening as smoothly as it ought to.

• scsmithphoto
    scsmithphoto
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This morning's update crashes each time I try to launch with the message that it tried to launch 1password mini from my backup drive. Even disconnecting the backup drive does not help. Mac Pro, version 6.0.1 via the App Store upgrade process. ((update)) I disconnected my backup drive, restarted without it and 1Password launched properly. I forced a backup of 1Password in settings and now we will see. App Store Update obviously has a bug.

• @scsmithphoto That's actually not a bug in 1Password. It's due to having an additional copy of the app on your external drive. I'd recommend deleting that extra copy or excluding 1Password from your backups if that's what the drive is.

• scsmithphoto
    scsmithphoto
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I would not argue one bit, except for the fact that I have been using 1Password for as long as it has been in creation for the Mac and this is the first time this error has ever occurred. Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry to hear this caused such a problem for you today - of course, on the other hand, I'm also glad to hear you've been using it for so many years without running into this issue! ;)

We're happy to help, so please let us know if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.