snyc using wifi

Options
garyskelton
garyskelton
Community Member

I open 1Password on two devices connected to same wifi, but won't sync. I open settings> sync> Primary Set Up Syncing> start syncing> and select Sync using wifi. All that happens is it just sticks at "refresh list"screen any nothing happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Open 1Password on two devices connected to same wifi, but won't connect sticks at "refresh list"

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@garyskelton the first place to start is with this knowledge base article

Wi-Fi Sync is not working

(The simplest solution, that usually works, is to reboot both devices but if that doesn't work the article has other suggestions.)

If things still don't work after trying the steps in the article please tell us:

(I've assumed you're trying to sync with a Mac. If that's not the case please tell us what the other device is and what version of 1P you have on it.)

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyskelton: Indeed, be sure to follow the guide Stephen_C linked to not only make sure that 1Password is setup correctly to sync, but to determine if there's a problem in your network environment that's preventing the two devices from 'seeing' each other. Please let me know what you find! :)

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all, really appreciate it. Using 9.2.1 on iPhone 6 and same version on iPad trying to sync using wifi on 1P version 6.2.1 on each. Just asks to refresh list and don't see each other, not syncing

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@garyskelton it really would help us if you'd give us answers to all the questions I asked in my previous post. We need to know answers to the first two in that post, please.

Stephen

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen, I thought I had answered all the questions. I'll number them to see which I am mssing and get you a proper reply. 1) I am not using a Mac, I'm trying to link 1P between an iPhone and an iPad. 2) not having a Mac I don't have an OSX version (think this is correct, right?) 3) using version 6.2.1 of 1P on both the iPhone and iPad and 4) both iPhone and iPad are using iOS version 9.2.1.. Let me know what I missed. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Ah, well that explains it. :) WiFi sync is for syncing between one Mac (or Windows PC) running 1Pasword and one or more iOS devices running 1Password. It cannot sync multiple iOS devices with each other or multiple Macs/Windows PCs with each other. For that you'll need either iCloud (if you only have Apple devices) or Dropbox (works on all supported devices):

Sync | 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps!

Ben

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Ben, thank you. I will download 1Password to PC and then try to link both devices to that. Looking forward to the convenience of this long overdue software.

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Well, downloading 1P version 4.6.0.598 for Windows 10 Home worked where I am running version 10.0.10586. I get to where it opens and provides sync "secret" for wifi. Opening the iPad and iPhone route through; Sync> Primary: Set Up Syncing> Start Syncing> Sync using Wi-Fi and they both see the Windows connection. I input the 12 digit secret (without spaces, but also tried with space between 4 digits) and device shows Sync Started, but then comes up with Operation failed timed out. I re-started both windows and the device to try again, before sending this note with same result.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyskelton: So far so good! Now that 1Password is setup correctly, you'll need to make sure that your network settings are configured properly so that your devices can communicate with each other. Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem and get things working for you:

Wi-Fi Sync troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, I changed tactics and went to dropbox to sync. Everything looks to connect with my iPhone and iPad sync going perfectly. I entered new Identity on each and it synced to them both perfectly. 1P on Windows isn't picking up the entries on either iPhone or iPad, nor do the devices pick up entries on 1P in Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyskelton: Okay! Let's figure out what's going on with Dropbox. This is probably simply a matter of pointing 1Password for Windows at the right vault. They just all need to be using the same one if you want them to share data.

Do you have any data in 1Password for Windows currently? If so, the best thing to do will be to set your other devices to use the vault already in use on your PC. Just follow these steps:

1. Backup your data
    2. Open 1Password for Windows and go to Preferences > General
    3. Note the location of your vault there
    4. If it's already in Dropbox, skip this step; if not, click Move to Dropbox
    5. Open 1Password for iOS on the first device and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service
    6. Disable sync, and then enable Dropbox again, this time choosing the vault path for your PC's vault
    7. You'll probably be warned of a mismatch. Great! Just tap More Info and the Merge the two vaults
    8. Let Dropbox finish syncing, and then repeat steps 4-6 on the next device

That way you'll be using the same vault on all devices, and then changes in one will sync to the others. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• garyskelton
    garyskelton
    Community Member
    Options

Worked perfectly, just as the instructions said. All synced up, thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update, @garyskelton. Glad to hear that worked out for you. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.