Cannot select Dropbox Sync for Primary Vault

Options
jamesbryantuk
jamesbryantuk
Community Member

Hi,

I have just updated to 1Password 6, and got a error message saying one of the vaults could not be synced. So I clicked the 'Fix' option, which took me to the 'Sync' tab of the prefrences panel.

I have 6 vaults setup, all were syncing to Dropbox prior to updating (My other machines, still running version 5, are still syncing).
Now for some reason my Primary vault is not.
When I choose 'Dropbox' from the dropdown menu, I am then prompted to choose the file in Dropbox.
Once I have choosen the file, I then click 'Continue', but this does nothing.

I have quit the 1Password and 1Password Mini, restarted and tried numerous times. I have restarted my Mac multiple times. I have also Deleted the app from my Applications folder and redownloaded from the App Store. But none of this has helped.

I could really use some help getting to resolved.

Many thanks,
James

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamesbryantuk,

I've heard of this once before and the first clue something is wrong is if you're trying to click on a button whose title is Continue. Once a location has been specified the button should change either to Merge Existing if 1Password has been pointed to an existing Agile Keychain or Create New if the location does not contain an existing Agile Keychain.

We didn't manage to pin down the cause last time and it was from a fresh installation too. Instead the user reported that 1Password finally started playing nicely after they deleted and downloaded a number of times. The notion that they'd managed to download a slightly damaged copy a couple of times then successfully downloaded a good one seems a bit unlikely so I don't feel we know the true cause.

There is something I would be interested in learning.

If you select Dropbox sync and point 1Password to a folder that contains no Agile Keychains at all does the button change from Continue to Create New or does it follow past behaviour where it doesn't change? I'm wondering if something happening in the background after you first select the Agile Keychain is chocking and stopping the code reaching the point where it alters the button.

I'm not sure if it will show anything but a diagnostic report might prove useful too. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• churnd
    churnd
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to v6, I can't select Dropbox for sync. I click Continue & it does nothing: http://d.pr/v/13UmU/5HC8OG1n.

I also have my Dropbox folder in a non-standard location, so I have to tell 1Password where to find the keychain, but that's nothing new for me & I've never had a problem with this before.

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.11.2
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @churnd,

I've merged your post with another thread as I feel they're about the same issue. I don't have an answer for you as you may discern from my reply to jamesbryantuk. We still don't have the cause but if you check out my previous post maybe you can help us determine the cause :smile:

• churnd
    churnd
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed when I try to "create new", it names the vault with a different extension. The previous vault ends in .agilekeychain, whereas create new ends in .opvault. As long as I don't have the .agilekeychain selected, the button will be "Create New". I haven't tried "Create New" yet because I haven't thought through what that'd mean for my other devices & I also think it means I'd lose my backups. I'd rather get it working by pointing it to the existing .agilekeychain if possible. I ran a diagnostic report per your instructions & emailed it in. I also updated to 6.0.1 just now & no improvement.

• jamesbryantuk
    jamesbryantuk
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Sorry for the dealy in getting back to you.

I have just updated to version 6.0.1 and I am still having the same issue.

I have some more information though:
    I am running 7 vaults, all syncing via Dropbox folder "1Password".

On my laptop I have my Primary vault for Personal Use, this links to 1Password.agilekeychain.
    Then I would have the other 6 vaults setup with names like, "Users" and "Emails".

On my office machine I would only have 6 vaults setup, my Primary vault was setup to the Users.agilekeychain, not the default 1Password.agilekeychain; this worked fine pre version 6.

Now, if I select the Dropbox folder "1Password", the "Continue" button changes to "Create New", and just like @churnd it appears to want to create a new vault file with the extension .opvault.

If however I select the 1Password.agilekeychain from Dropbox, the "Continue" button changes to "Merge with Exsisting". But this is not the vault it should be linked to. My Primary Vault on this machine has always linked to Users.agilekeychain.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @churnd,

Mostly the query was to see if the button changed correctly as it should. As it does, it suggests that there is work in the background between when the user selects the sync container and something in here is silently failing. Of course this leaves the important reason of why.

Can you go through the steps again please until you reach the point where you can replicate the video you created and then generate a diagnostic report for us please. I'm wondering if anything in the report will highlight what has gone wrong.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

In both your case and @jamesbryantuk's what we could do is use 1Password to generate a new Agile Keychain as I suspect the old one is damaged. As both of you have noted, the extension has changed from .agilekeychain to .opvault. We're moving from using the Agile Keychain as the default sync container to the OPVault one. This can be altered though using the menu option Help > Tools > Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync. It starts off by default enabled but it can be disabled, allowing you to generate a new Agile Keychain. We may still need to go down this route but it would be nice to see if the diagnostic report explains why 1Password isn't behaving properly. If there is something wrong with the Agile Keychain then we should report this to you as the user rather than leaving you with a wonky interface.

@jamesbryantuk: The above can apply to you as well. What you've managed to ascertain is that it's something specific to the Users.agilekeychain given this situation only arises with that Agile Keychain. Even if we do need to help you generate a new Agile Keychain I wonder if a diagnostic report would help ensure we fix the bug.

ref: GKV-39981-356

• churnd
    churnd
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I did submit a diagnostic report this weekend. However, after I did that, I decided to go ahead & set up a new vault & merge it with the existing one. I needed to get everything up & going quickly & that seemed like the quickest solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.