Remove Primary Vault and just use "Your Vault" in team?

Hi there,

I just recently signed up for 1P teams.

My team is my family and I've moved all of my personal passwords to my private vault in the team. I've moved all of our family passwords to the shared team vault.

There are no items left in the Primary Vault and I want to delete it; alas, there doesn't seem to be an option for this.

Is there any way to do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunchjesse

great to see that you love 1Password for Teams so much that you use it to share passwords with your family.

To remove the primary vault you will have to start fresh with 1Password. We have a guide here on how to do this:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/mac.html

After launching again you would select the "Sign Into 1Password for Teams" button.

Before starting I would just recommend to backup all of the data the guide is asking you to delete.

• bunchjesse
    bunchjesse
    Community Member

Perfect! That did the trick.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback @bunchjesse :)

• mikecharbonneau
    mikecharbonneau
    Community Member

I've been able to remove the Primary Vault from my desktop app but even with deleting and re-installing the iOS app (then logging into Teams), the Primary Vault remains.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@mikecharbonneau you are absolutely right. Currently it is not possible to set up the iOS app without a primary vault. This will be possible in a future update though.

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member

@Winnie I'm happy to see there's a way to rid myself of my empty non-1Password for Teams Primary vault on the Mac, and I look forward to being able to do the same on iOS. You mentioned it will be possible in a future update. Is there a way I can know when that enhancement has been made?

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Hi, @misterbiscuit.

Good question! We probably won't mention it on the blog or anything like that, but we do include release notes with each of our updates, so that's the best way I know of to see when things change.

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member

Thanks, @rob -- that'll do. I'll keep an eye out! My biggest concern is that a team member might accidentally store things in the non-synced Primary vault. So from my perspective, the sooner this is tackled for iOS, the better! :wink:

• @misterbiscuit I see your point. The good news is that you can set which vault things save to by default. On iOS, just launch the app, unlock it, tap Settings, and tap Vaults. Then tap All Vaults (you'll need the Teams account configured on the device for this setting to appear) and tap Vault for Saving. Tap the Personal vault in the Teams account and you're all set. :)

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member

Thanks @penderworth! I've ensured all of our iOS devices are configured as you described. That should minimize the risk for the time being.

• No problem at all. Glad to hear you got that configured. :)

• antex
    antex
    Community Member

Starting over on iOS and signing it into Teams/Family account gets rid of the primary vault now :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@antex, yes now you do have an option to get rid of the local vaults! I'm glad to hear you enjoy this feature :chuffed:

• hofjes
    hofjes
    Community Member

Hello, the option to Start over again is greyed out? I can't choose this. Is there another way to remove the primary vault and select a different vault as primary? I have removed the app, deleted files in the Library, deselect the primary vault to sync via dropbox, but it will open everytime with my primary vault.

• @hofjes Sorry about that. Are you trying to achieve what this thread was originally about (remove your Primary vault so you can keep the team one)? If so, we have an even better way of doing that in the latest version of 1Password for Mac. :) Please check for updates by launching the app and choosing 1Password -> Check for Updates from the menu bar, or using the Updates tab in the Mac App Store if you installed 1Password from there. Then, to remove your Primary vault, switch to it and choose 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. You will be asked for your Master Password to confirm you'd like to do this.

If you're asking because you just need to start over, please make sure 1Password is locked before using that menu option. Let us know if it's still not working.

• hofjes
    hofjes
    Community Member

I wanted to start over and the tip to lock 1Password before using the menu option worked for me. Thanks for your quick answer!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hofjes

On behalf of penderworth, you're welcome! I'm glad to hear that worked, if there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• vjpr
    vjpr
    Community Member

There is now and option in Preferences > Advanced > Local Vaults. Unchecking this box will delete the primary vault. :)

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @vjpr! Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread in the future, that's an option in 1Password for Mac. You can also use the vault switcher to switch to the "Primary" vault, and then choose "Delete Vault" from the "1Password" menu at the top of your Mac's screen. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.