How do I share a vault?

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Separate passwords for vaults.

Comments

• monks1975
    monks1975
    Community Member
    Options

I'd just like to add my support to the old way of doing things- I use 1password shared with my wife- I use the primary vault- she the secondary. Now she can no longer unlock her vault without knowing my password for the main vault and seeing all my passwords.

So from this discussion, it looks like I'll have to purchase a copy for my Wife now (I don't mind doing this, it's great software) but I didn't realise what I was doing before was a 'workaround'.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @monks1975,

Your licence already covers your wife using her own copy of 1Password, indeed a single user licence covers the person who purchases and up to five other immediate family members living under the same household. So you definitely don't need to purchase a new licence. What 1Password will require though is a separate OS X user account as you can't run two copies of 1Password simultaneously in the same user account in OS X. They would both want to save their data in the same place so you're back at square one.

I wouldn't consider what you were doing a workaround as some people do find use in the feature. If you were only doing it because you thought you would otherwise need a licence each then I'd say the above comes as good news :smile: If you always share a single OS X user account though then you fall into the same boat as the others and will be unhappy at the removal of this feature.

• monks1975
    monks1975
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables That I did not know. That's good news, when I have a moment I'll set this up. My wife uses 1password under her own login on her macbook pro, so this will work. Can I share my vault as a secondary to her 1pw via this method? Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @monks1975,

I've split your query away from the other thread as it has the hallmarks of being very busy in there, causing both you and I to do a lot of scrolling to find the conversation we're having. This way it will be much easier to follow even if it's just easier for me :tongue:

You can definitely share a secondary vault with your wife and indeed that's the very reason we introduced them. It turns out they're also a great logical divide which is how many of us use it even if it wasn't the initial motivation.

What we need to do is figure out the best way of sharing the vault between you.

Do either of you have a Dropbox account or if you don't, do you have any objections to using Dropbox for sharing the vault?

Dropbox is the easiest way to share without worrying about permissions but it's not the only option if you don't like the idea of the vault being in the cloud. Your data is secure whether you do so or not but some people just aren't comfortable with the idea.

Once we know this I can describe one of two routes based on the fact that you are using a single Mac with two OS X user accounts.

This discussion has been closed.