Having trouble changing a password using 1Password

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Want to completely get rid of old version & all content, and start fresh with 1PW6..

Comments

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

Now I have tried entering a password. I followed the instructions for "saving new logins" from the email I received, then followed the instructions for changing a pwd for a site saved in 1Password. I received a confirmation (from Citicards) that the password had been changed. Then I tried using 1PW to sign in and it didn't work (I got a message indicating I had not entered the correct password). Of course the old one doesn't work either. I can get a new password from Citi, but first I want to figure out what went wrong.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

Also, how do I get 1PW to show up on my iPad and iPhone?

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for all the questions, but I also keep getting a prompt on this page that I need to confirm my email address. I click to resend, it confirms that a message has been sent, but I have not received a message (this has happened three times now). It is not in spam.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @judyrowan,

If I may, let's start with the Citi issue as that's likely the most pressing.

I'm assuming the instructions you were following looked a lot like the ones outlined on our page, Changing a saved password.

Now the 1Password Save Login window changed a bit in 1Password 6 so I'm including an image of what should have popped up if:

1. You have the1Password Browser Extension installed (see Installing browser extensions if you don't).
    2. You have Automatically ask to save new Logins enabled in the Browser tab of 1Password's preferences.

If you meet both of those criteria then I would hope you would have seen something like this.

If you didn't then something went wrong on our side and we didn't realise, for whatever reason, that you've been trying to change a password. If you didn't see this but you did use the Password Generator in 1Password mini then if you look in your vault you will find a Passwords category in the Sidebar. In there I would expect to see a Password item with a title that reflects Citi's website in some way and in there should be your new password. If this is the case then I would hope that if you were to manually log into Citi's website using this new password that you should see something like the image above. If you don't we really need to look at what the heck is going on over there but manually updating your Login item in 1Password should work as a last resort.

I will be interested to hear your observations as they will help us understand what went wrong.

Now to your next query. 1Password for iOS can be found in either iTunes or the App Store on your iOS device. Our licences are per platform so a licence for 1Password 6 for Mac doesn't confer a licence on iOS. That said, the basic version of 1Password for iOS is free and the Pro features behind the in-app purchase are entirely optional. So you can install and run 1Password for iOS for free for as long as you like.

Now to the last part of your query. I'm not sure what is happening and why you can't get the email confirmation from our forums. We'll attempt a manual approach instead :smile:

ref: JLZ-66113-986

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @judyrowan,

Can you double check the email address you entered when you registered with the forums please. I tried emailing you directly but I just got the following back from Google's mail server.

The email account that you tried to reach does not exist

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The email address should be removed by AgileBits . Can you change it, or tell me where to change it? Meanwhile I will go over everything in your previous message.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

I have gone through the process with two more websites. I am leaving Citi alone for now. I succeeded in changing one, but not the other. The failure behaved just like citi - I received a confirmation of the change from the site, but 1PW did not give me the "update" prompt, and didn't make the change. When I look in the vault, it shows the old password, and the new one is nowhere to be found, so I am locked out. The only way to get back in is through "forgot password" on the site, because I don't have the new one, and the old one doesn't work. Another question arises - how should I handle sites that have additional security levels (security questions and images)? I don't see how I can use the password generator for those sites.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

I have just entered two credit cards, and the contact numbers do not show unless I choose "edit," and then they are there. I can get to them that way, but wonder why it is happening.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @judyrowan,

So the first thing is you'll find I've split part of your query off from the original thread. We're no longer discussing the older 1Password 3 for Mac so I wanted to make sure there were more eyes on your post. We check all the forums but due to volume spend more time in the Mac (4/5/6) section.

Try going through the verify your account procedure and see if that works now :smile:

Now to the password issue.

I'd like to start with getting a bit of information to see where we are.

1. What version of 1Password are you running?
    2. What is your preferred browser and the version of that browser?
    3. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?

Can I just ask you to confirm as well, when you look at the Sidebar in the main 1Password Window do you not see a Passwords entry in the Categories section of the sidebar? If you do see it are there any items in there that might pertain to the sites where you've been trying to change your password. I know in previous versions of the extension and 1Password for Mac we had a bug that meant the dialog didn't always pop up but I've never seen a situation where we failed to create a Password item. As soon as you either fill or copy a password generated by the Password Generator the item is created as a safety net.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 6.0.1 of 1Password. I mostly use Safari, and I am running 9.0.2. The extension is 4.5.2. I do see the passwords entry in the sidebar. It shows generated passwords for both the sites where I have tried unsuccessfully to make a change.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @judyrowan,

Thanks for reporting back with that information. So the bug I was referring to shouldn't be affecting you. In a previous post I mentioned the following.

1. You have Automatically ask to save new Logins enabled in the Browser tab of 1Password's preferences.

If you said you checked this and it was enabled I might have missed it but I'm assuming you found it was enabled. If it wasn't that could explain what you're seeing.

So the existence of the Password items is good. You should find your new password is stored in there so even though we're fighting with getting 1Password to properly change the password in the Login item, you shouldn't be locked out due to not having any access to the password. If you were to manually copy that new password and change it in the Login item I would hope you find the Login item once gain logs you in.

We still have to figure out what's going on though. Do you happen to have an Amazon account at all? Most people do so it seems likely you have one. I ask because when I'm testing the new versions of the extension Amazon is one of my goto sites for testing purposes. Not sure why, it just is. It always successfully opens the 1Password - Save Login window for me so this could prove informative. If it works here then you've been possibly really unlucky and found a couple of sites that we really need to investigate. If it doesn't something odd is going on with your system and we need to discover what.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have checked the "automatically ask" button. I will try the manual approach. I do have an Amazon account. I will try that and report back. Meanwhile, can you tell me how (whether) 1Password works with sites that have those additional security levels (pictures, questions, etc.) or have the login and password on separate pages, or ask you to agree to terms before completing login?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @judyrowan,

Sorry, there was a part of your question I did forget to respond to.

Personally I find the best way to work with security question is as follows.

I create a custom section with custom fields and what I do is I set the label of the field to the security question. I then set the field type to password and I create as many of these as needed to store all my security questions. I even use the Password Generator to generate the answers.

1Password won't attempt to fill using anything stored in a custom field but generally the way this extra layer of security works is they randomise which question is asked meaning automated filling would probably be more of a pain than it's worth. Instead I can click on the contents of a field to copy to the clipboard and then paste the answer in manually, knowing I'm pasting into the correct field. I've only ever come across one site that offered a security image to prove they who they say they are so I copied that and attached it to my Login item.

So my approach to this extra layer is entirely manual but I've been quite happy with it.

If you have a login page that requires your interaction before submitting but after you've filled there is a way to set an individual item to not submit after filling. If you edit the Login item from inside the main 1Password window you will see two new options become visible near the bottom. One is titled submit and the default setting is Submit when enabled. If you change this to Never submit 1Password will leave clicking the submit or login button to you but more importantly it allows you to tick or uptick whatever you want after filling the fields. Does that help at all?

There might be another option here too. 1Password can remember the state of a checkbox and enable or disable it but only when you save the Login item form that page. As way of example I'm working with another user who prefers to not be remembered and needs the Login item to deselect the checkbox. Twitter is an example of such a site. If I enter my username and password and deselect the checkbox before saving the Login item it remembers and restores just as it was.

Of course if you need to fill in the Login item and then enter a TOTP code that really will require tell 1Password not to submit this form after filling but that is possible.

Please let me know if I've strayed at all from your questions or this was of some use.

• judyrowan
    judyrowan
    Community Member
    Options

Amazon worked fine. I went back to the Citi site and tried to use the extension to get in. That didn't work. Then I went in manually using my old password (which did not match the password in the sidebar). I tried to change the password using the one from the sidebar, which failed. I then changed it using the password generator, apparently successfully. I then went to use the extension to sign in, and there are now three Citi logins showing - I haven't actually tried to log in that way. During all of this, the dialogue box about updating never appeared. Two logins also are there for the other site that failed.

I will try to follow your instructions above and see if I can figure it out and make it work. It may end up being easier just to stick with what I am doing on those sites.

One other thing - if I create a separate vault for my husband's stuff, will it matter that some of the URLs are the same as mine?

• Hi @judyrowan ,

What you can do is edit the old ones to "old Citibank" or something like that. Then, create a new login for Citibank manually, but clicking the + button in the 1Password app. Fill in the username, password (copy it from one of the old ones if you need to), set the website URL, and Save it. Then try to login with the new item using the extension. If you need help with that, let us know.

To answer your other question, your husband's vault can have the same URLs as yours. To help keep them straight, you can change the titles to, for example "Judy's Amazon" and "Judy's Husband's Amazon" if you like, though it's not required.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.