Filling issue on www.tsp.gov

Options
rdwright
rdwright
Community Member

The Federal TSP website has changed login again. Can't get newly saved logins to work. Radio button now involved.

https://www.tsp.gov/tsp/login.html

It appears to always skip over the first field when autofiling and fail verification. Thanks in advance for assistance.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdwright,

Would I be correct in that you need to enter a User ID so you want the radio button to change from it's default of TSP Account Number to User ID?

I'm not happy that I have to post the following but it's true. Radio buttons are a current weakness that we need to do better on but for the moment we don't handle them properly at all. Sadly the best option I can suggest at the moment is once we get the Login item filling both fields we then alter the Login item so that it doesn't automatically submit after filling. This will give you the opportunity to alter the radio button before clicking the log in button. I realise it isn't ideal but it's all I can suggest at the moment.

Now to getting both fields to fill. Can I ask, have you tried creating a new Login item by following the steps outlined in How to manually save a Login? The reason I ask is, as the form is two password fields 1Password doesn't naturally see one as the username. We expect a username to be entered into a text field and a password into a password field. It's rare to see a site use password fields for both pieces of information. When you save a Login item from inside the browser though it will record all the fields on the page (including not properly recording the state of the radio button) and it will record both the username and password and when I do this both fields fill. Now at first glance it won't see as if the username has been recorded in the Login item but we can address that next, the first thing is to find if my observations are matched by yours if you create a new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide. I look forward to reading about your findings :smile:

• rdwright
    rdwright
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding to my post. Yes it would be nice to have the radio button state saved when the the Login is saved, and that state restored when filling in the fields. TSP recently changed the login page where the radio button controls what you are entering, account# or userID. Previously all the login choices were on the login page and you simply filled in the applicable portion (either account# or userID but not both). I was able to create a fresh login and get the account# login to work properly but was hoping to transition to userID and that is where I ran into problems. Fortunately I can continue using Account# but it does look like this is an issue that should be solved in 1Password. I tried a new login by setting the radio button to the proper state, then filling in the UserID and Password Fields and setting the Submit to NEVER, then manually switching the button state to UserID, and then logging in with UserID and that works OK. If I can help with this in any way let me know. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @rdwright,

You're completely right, this is something we need to solve in 1Password itself. My suggestions above are merely workarounds to compensate for the undesirable behaviour until we get this properly fixed. This isn't the only site, it affects the likes of Amazon but we at least have a slight better workaround there and I could have sworn outlook.com but I'm not seeing the radio button now.

We simply need to do better here.

• charlesbouldin
    charlesbouldin
    Community Member
    Options

So the TSP sign in page doesn't work at all with 1Password. The sign in page is this:

https://www.tsp.gov/tsp/login.html

And it's not the radio button issue that has me stymied. I'm happy to use either the account number or user name. However, even if I open that web page and then try to get the 1Password macro to run, nothing appears at all. As a workaround I'm using Keyboard Maestro to fill in the info on this site, and that works fine.

In general, financial web page logins are becoming very problematic with 1Password: Wells Fargo works fine, Chase works fine, Goldman Sachs online bank doesn't work at all, nor does the TSP. The issue is that many of these institutions now split the login across as many as 3(!) separate web pages and 1Password simply doesn't work.

BTW, it is just not acceptable for this TSP login issue to still exist 4 months after it was first reported. 1Password is now getting so spotty and fragile that I'm considering dropping it altogether. Constantly redoing logins as web pages change is now almost as much work as simply avoiding 1Password altogether.

• charlesbouldin
    charlesbouldin
    Community Member
    Options

I also just tried the process of manually saving the login for TSP and then opening the login page and invoking the saved 1Password login. No text appears in the login fields. Nothing happens at all.

• s_kawalko
    s_kawalko
    Community Member
    Options

I recently encountered a situation were 1Password will not fill in login credentials on the Thrift Savings Plan website (https://www.tsp/gov). I'm running 1Password 6.2.1 on MacOS X 10.11.4. I'm seeing the problem with both Safari and Firefox. I have the most recent version of the 1Password browser plugin installed for each browser. I don't see this problem with with either the built-in browser in the iOS version of 1Password or with Safari on iOS..

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: 6.5.5
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb-search:tsp.gov

• charlesbouldin
    charlesbouldin
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem. Latest 1Password, OS X 10.11.4, and on the TSP web page 1Password does not fill in any info at all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@s_kawalko: I've merged your query with another thread regarding the same site.

@s_kawalko & @charlesbouldin: Something has changed between versions 6.1 and 6.2. The filling logic, which we refer to as the brain was at version 14 and then jumped to version 16 between those two updates to 1Password for Mac and a modification that we made has clearly broken filling here. We used to fill both fields with the caveat that we had/still have trouble with radio buttons. Whatever happened between versions 14 and 16 of the brain though have been at the detriment of this site. We will investigate and get it resolved. Unfortunately there won't be an immediate fix. We will have to identify the cause and work on a fix. It will have to get tested and incorporated into a beta version before it makes its way into a stable version of 1Password.

In all likelihood the cause was intended to improve support for other sites and this was an unintended side-effect. It's obviously highly undesirable and while we do constantly add additional test cases to ensure 1Password can fill we occasionally will end up in situations like this where a modification which helps one site causes filling with one of the very many sites out there to break. Compatibility with websites is much like whack-a-mole and while it may not seem like it we do continuously work on improving it.

The radio button issue is a separate issue and one we're aware of. That is a larger fix that we know we have to do but it isn't specific to this site.

ref: BRAIN-239

• charlesbouldin
    charlesbouldin
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to go back to version 6.1?

I understand and sympathize with the whack-a-mole aspect of this, but 1Password is becoming less useful to me as time goes on. The problem is that every damn web page has its own ideas about what should be "secure", and the sites---most of the financial ones---now split the logins across multiple pages, or put a -variable- security question in the middle of the login process.

It's a quandary. My 1Passwords logins now break as sites change, and it I update 1Password, sites that used to work now break....

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlesbouldin,

Technically it is possible to go back to 6.1, this link will download 1Password 6.1 for Mac but every version since 6.0 has been about fixing a number of bugs, important ones brought on by the major changes we made in the initial 6.0 release. We've eliminated a number of highly annoying performance related bugs that were affecting people so I'm reluctant to suggest returning to an older version. We will figure out why filling isn't working at www.tsp.gov and get it fixed.

You're right, as certain sites throw more hurdles in the way it does make it tougher for automated filling. I still see a lot of value in a password manager though. The Large Type view helps me when I'm being asked for individual characters and the custom fields helps for copying and pasting security questions that alternate. Even if I'm reduced to copy and paste it still allows me to use passwords that are nigh on impossible to remember and at the very least a huge pain to type. Financial sites, which are the usual offenders for whacky login forms also represent just a subsection of the sites out there and while you might find it hard to believe we are working on improving compatibility. This isn't easy though as we're often talking about multi-page logins where only real account holders can see the second or even third page.

Ideally this issue would have been caught in the beta stage but it seems none of our beta users use this site. Sadly it means the first we've heard that filling was broken here was when you reached out to us. We have the bug report filed and we will look into it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlesbouldin & @s_kawalko,

You should find 1Password fills on the Federal TSP website again in version 6.3. We located the bug, put a fix together and it is now in the latest stable version of 1Password for Mac. I'm not forgetting about the radio buttons as they have been bugging me for some time so I hope we can improve on that too :smile:

This discussion has been closed.