CTRL-\ shortcut often stops working

Options

The CTRL-\ shortcut stops working for me quite often. At least every 3 days or so the shortcut will suddenly stop working. Sometimes it's a short as a few hours after a reboot that it happens. Yes, restarting the helper always fixes that, but having to do so on a regular basis is extremely annoying.

I'm using Chrome (currently version 47.0.2526.111, although this has been happening with all versions of Chrome released in the past year) and do have the extension installed. Since it does work sporadically, and restarting the helper fixes it, I'm fairly sure that the problem is with the keypress detection, which my understanding is something that happens outside of the extensions themselves. I haven't tried with other browsers because of this, and it wouldn't really help me even if it did work in other browsers. Chrome is the browser I want to use. If testing it with other browsers will help in troubleshooting, I will of course do so, but since it can take a few days to manifest, that's not a simple proposition.

I know that there was a release early last year that was supposed to improve the reliability of this shortcut, but it doesn't seem to have helped me at all. Is this still being worked on? If so, please add a vote from me for moving it up in priority! It's the only negative thing that I really have to say about 1Password after using it for the last year or so.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The CTRL-\ shortcut stops working for me quite often. At least every 3 days or so the shortcut will suddenly stop working. Sometimes it's a short as a few hours after a reboot that it happens. Yes, restarting the helper always fixes that, but having to do so on a regular basis is extremely annoying.

@elezar: Agreed. That does sound annoying, and it shouldn't be necessary.

I wouldn't recommend switching browsers, as Chrome for fine for me and seems to work for others as well. Given that there aren't a multiple of similar reports coming in, it seems like it may be something particular to your system. Let's see if we can narrow it down!

Now, I know I said don't switch browsers (and you said you don't want to), but in the insets of science, would you be able to test this in another browser to see if the same issue recurs? If it does, then it may be the Helper itself, or at least something more global. Whereas if it works fine in Firefox, for instance, that would indicate that it's something between 1Password and Chrome exclusively.

Do you have 'security' software that might be interfering? That would likely cause issues in all browsers. Do yo have other extensions installed in Chrome that could be causing some trouble? That would only manifest itself in that browser, and you should be able to eliminate that possibility easily by disabling them temporarily.

Please let me know what you find. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• elezar
    elezar
    Community Member
    Options

Well, fortunately (?) it just happened again, so testing in other browsers became very easy. I tried both in Firefox 43 and IE 11. It is not working in either of them, either. In FF, the only extension that's installed is 1Password, and I disabled all plugins. In IE, I disabled all add-ons except for the 1Password extension. Oddly, the 1Password extension showed up twice in IE, once with the publisher as AgileBits and once with the publisher as "Not Available". I'm not sure if that's a problem, but everything looked correct in FF. You know, I'm not 100% sure that the shortcut ever worked for me in those browsers, so I went ahead and restarted the helper. And as with Chrome, the keyboard shortcut started working again in FF and IE. I did have to restart IE before it started working again, but in FF and Chrome, it started working again immediately.

My IS software is disabled. Like all IS software, it's not really possible to completely stop the exe from running without uninstalling it, but I have the entire thing disabled, so it shouldn't be interfering. And, when the keyboard shortcut is working, it works whether the IS software is enabled or not.

Knowing that this isn't a known issue, I did look into it a little deeper, and I've noticed that the Agile1pAgent is listening on 2 separate TCP ports. Is that normal? Both Chrome and FF are connected to it on the same port, and nothing is connected to the other port it's listening on (I'm not sure why IE isn't connected to it). But, after restarting it, it looks like it's still listening on those 2 ports, so I guess that is normal.

Anything else I should look at?

Also, I forgot to mention this in my original post, but even though the keyboard shortcut stops working, using the 1Password button or selecting 1Password from the context menu does still work. And it looks like those still work in the other browsers as well.

• Hi @elezar,

In IE, I disabled all add-ons except for the 1Password extension. Oddly, the 1Password extension showed up twice in IE, once with the publisher as AgileBits and once with the publisher as "Not Available".

That's normal, make sure both are enabled. One is for the keyboard shortcut and the other one is for the plug-in

Knowing that this isn't a known issue, I did look into it a little deeper, and I've noticed that the Agile1pAgent is listening on 2 separate TCP ports. Is that normal?

Yes, these are for two separate extension versions that we support. If we detect an incoming connection from an older extension, we will work with it but also notify the user that they should upgrade their extension.

Can you reproduce the problem and then generate the 1Password diagnostic report. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• elezar
    elezar
    Community Member
    Options

It took a little longer than normal to happen again, but it finally did. I've just sent my diagnostic report to the support+windows email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elezar: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: YAT-81987-591

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I wrote a similar problem here : https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/57552/login-keyboard-shorcut-is-not-working

After 3 hours of doing nothing but browsing, the shortcut suddently works, no idea why

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I'm only sorry that there was no clear reason for it to stop/start working.

While it isn't certain what is preventing it fro working, often going to 1Password Help > Restart 1Password Helper will get it working again. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.