Error in Updater logic

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

Hi,
Your updater thinks that "1Password 5.app.xxx.app" is a duplicate copy of 1Password and complains about it every time a new update installation is attempted.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @DoctorDan! Sorry about that. To prevent issues, I would recommend removing that copy of 1Password. The app will find it as a duplicate. Our updater specifically is not to blame, actually. There's a bit of a limitation to the API we use in OS X to connect to 1Password mini, which is the brains behind the operation. I'm sorry there's been trouble afoot — we are looking to make things a bit smoother in the future. :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Well, in that case, I need some advice. I have an external drive that CarbonCopyCloner uses to make a weekly backup of my boot drive. So, every app will reappear after the backup even if I delete the "copy" now. And, Iif I delete the backup copy and my system crashes, restoring the backup will not leave me with a fully restored system. What's the harm in having this 'duplicate' copy?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@DoctorDan this knowledge base article covers the situation:

How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

Note the last section about backup drives. The solution (if you wish to have the backup drive permanently connected) is to:

• delete any copy of the 1Password app file (only) from the backup drive; and
    • exclude the 1Password app file from any further backups (because, of course, you can always re-download it if you need to).

Provided you don't use any app cleaner tool when deleting the app file none of this will interfere with your 1Password data.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I don't use Carbon Copy Cloner myself (I use SuperDuper). But I tried CCC, and I am sure the instructions explain how to prevent items from being cloned.

Note that it is only the app itself that needs to be excluded from the clone, the data will be included. And if you worry about having to download a copy again in an emergency, you can always keep a zipped copy of 1PW and include that in the clone.

• Hi @DoctorDan,

As @danco mentions, the preferred way of taking care of this is by setting an Exclusion for 1Password in your backup tool. Nearly every tool out there supports such a thing. Your data is kept separately from the 1Password app itself so it should continue to be backed up.

I'm sorry that this dialog has been an annoyance for some people. It's really important to only have a single instance of 1Password on your Mac at once, and having more than one has been the number one cause of problems in general, but also specifically related to updates. Which is why we added this dialog during the updates. You're free to bypass it by choosing "Continue" but we recommend trashing the other copies.

I hope this helps explain things a little.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.