Is 1Password for windows will always be maintained ?

4wk_
4wk_
Community Member
edited February 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi there,

I was a LastPass user for like ... more than 6 years, and maybe I will move to 1Password. ;)
For the last few days, I played a lot with the trial version of 1Password Windows, and so far, so good. (despite 2 error report).

I want to use it on my PC (Windows 7 - Firefox and Chrome), on my MacBook (10.11 - Firefox and Chrome), and on my Smartphone (Android - Chrome).

But I'm afraid of one big thing : is 1Password for Windows always be maintained / improved ?
Please avoid marketing answer, give me the truth !

Indeed, 1P 6 for MacOS has just been release, but Windows users are still on 1P 4 version.
I'm a IT devloper, I know the cost of maintaining an app which probably bring only like 15% of your income. So I'm afraid of you guys put all your effort to improve MacOS version, to the detriment of the Windows 4 version (which is probably "good enough" for some of you, right ?)

I'm not actually blaming you, eh, I just wanna talk ;)

Thank you for reading, please be free to correct/edit my not-so-good english.
4wk_

1Password Version: 4.6.4.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:keyboard-shortcut-not-working, kb:privacy-rich-icons, kb:license-requirements, kb:bundle-license

Comments

• Hi @4wk_,

Yes, we will maintain and improve 1Password on all platforms, even though they will not have the same version numbers, which doesn't tell the whole story. We have a separate engineering team for each platform working on their own native codebase that is not shared between any other teams. Each team is also different in size and resources but we're always working on expanding them.

Right now, new versions of 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Windows 10 (Universal Windows platform) app are in development. The latter app will run on all Windows 10 devices such as Windows 10 mobile devices as well.

You can check out the beta version of 1Password for Windows 10 app in the Windows store if you're running Windows 10. We mentioned it in our blog post here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/01/19/update-on-1password-for-teams/

The version numbers doesn't really tell the whole story, for an example, we are almost identical in feature sets between 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Mac. We don't change version numbers just for the sake of it, we only do it when there are major changes, especially if it may or may not require an upgrade fee.

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Thanks for your answer, I really appreciate it. And I got your point, I don't need to worry anymore. ;)

I'm really suprised by your last paragraph, I didn't suspect such a thing.

• MilindM
    MilindM
    Community Member

@MikeT
    When the new version for Windows 10 is released, will it be a free upgrade for existing users?

• Hi guys,

@4wk_:

You're welcome. That last paragraph was just in general because the major release versions are not determined by other platforms. If a Mac app releases a new feature, the current Windows version will try to get that feature in without bumping the version as well because consistency between platforms is becoming more and more important to us.

@MilindM, the short answer is that we don't know anything yet, we're still working out the details and will release the details to the public as soon as we're ready.

The long answer is that there will two separate 1Password for Windows program. The Windows 10 version you're referring to is a separate new version that will be sold in the Windows 10 Store by Microsoft, which means there are no current customers to offer free upgrades to. However, will it be free at launch, we don't know yet.

We have a major change coming to 1Password in the near future when we release 1Password for Teams, which will have a subscription model that includes all native apps for free.

• MilindM
    MilindM
    Community Member

@MikeT
    Thanks for your reply.
    So when 1Password for Teams is released will standalone (Mac & Win) versions will be offered and will the current users require to move to subscription model?

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @MilindM,

1Password for Teams is a separate service for 1Password standalone products, it will not be the only option and nor will anyone be required to use it.

We will continue to sell standalone licenses for 1Password alongside this subscription model and we will release more details on how this works for everyone once we're ready to ship the service to the public.

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

Hi guys, thanks for those informations.

I have another questions, dunno if I'm right to ask it here instead of create another thread.

I read both pages of this thread , and I wanna know if @MikeT got some update for it.

Indeed, Basic Auth filling is really important to me (I fill differents htpasswd prompt like 20 times a day), and for instance Lastpass and others suceeded in implementing this (so I guess it's not about "the browser team" right ?).

Please let me know

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@4wk_: Please feel free to start a new discussion if you'd like to talk about HTTPAuth in more detail, but I'm happy to answer your question here!

Our browser extensions are cross-platform (which might be of interest to you, based on some of your earlier comments), so if and when we release a version that supports HTTPAuth, it will be only after extensive development and testing on both OS X and Windows. We don't discuss future plans though, as they can change — and of course not everything goes according to plan in the first place. ;)

That said, you can use the Auto-Type feature in 1Password for Windows to fill HTTPAuth prompts now (which is, in fact, what I do regularly myself). You can find more information on how to set it up for a login here:

1Password Auto-Type (Windows)

I hope this helps. And be sure to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback! :)

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

I have to admit you guys do a great support job. You answer fast, nicely, and clearly, this is very cool :)
    I didn't catch that your browser extensions were cross-platform: That might explain it all, I totally understand now the difficulty of it (god, you must sometimes hate them all x))

Your advice works perfectly, I'm happy now. (And wow, the option for "send CTRL A before auto-type" is genius!!)
    Thank you sir!

Congratz ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016

I have to admit you guys do a great support job. You answer fast, nicely, and clearly, this is very cool :)

@4wk_: Wow. Thank you! We're not perfect, but we certainly try. It's the least we can do for you and the rest of your awesome customers! :chuffed:

I didn't catch that your browser extensions were cross-platform: That might explain it all, I totally understand now the difficulty of it (god, you must sometimes hate them all x))

No comment. :lol:

Your advice works perfectly, I'm happy now. (And wow, the option for "send CTRL A before auto-type" is genius!!)
    Thank you sir!
    Congratz ;)

You're welcome! I glad that helped. Thank you for your support! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

That's it, I'm now part of the Agilebits family ;)
    You may close this discussion if needed; I will start some new one if I'm in trouble!

Have a good weekend.

• Hi @4wk_,

Welcome aboard our family.

We don't close threads unless it is needed to maintain consistency with another thread. You can always reply to your existing threads and if it needs to be in a new thread, we'll split it up for you.

Have a great weekend!

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

Hi there !

I just notice a strange behaviour. For a given URL (ie https://sub.mydomain.com/pma/), a htpasswd AUTH prompt to ask me an username and a password.
    As you commanded, I did the following: in my 1Password login, I checked "user AutoType in WebBrowser"

When I go to https://sub.mydomain.com/pma/ on Google Chrome, a htpasswd AUTH prompt. I put my mouse cursor in the first field, then type my shortcut, and voilà! It works perfectly.

Now, I try the same on Mozilla Firefox, and .. My shortcut don't do anything! No autotype, not even the 1P menu.

That might be a clue: on Chrome, even if you have a htpasswd AUTH prompt, I still manage to click directly on the Add On 1Password, in order to see the full menu.
    On Firefox, when any htpasswd AUTH prompt, you CAN'T click anywhere but on the prompt box.

Hope you guys can help me with this ;)

• Hey @4wk_,

The explanation is as simple as is it potentially annoying:
    Chrome loads the HTTP AUTH window as an object inside the browser, while Firefox shows it as a stand-alone modal window outside of Firefox.

That's why it doesn't work the same way in both browsers. The solution is to use the 'One-Click Auto-Type' feature, as described in the previously linked article (Using auto-type):

1. Display the login form in Firefox, and place the insertion point in the username field.
    2. In the main 1Password program, select the Login item you want to use, and click the Auto-type button in the 1Password toolbar.
    3. A small window will appear allowing you to choose the window you wish to fill the information in, as a dropdown list.

I hope this helps!

• 4wk_
    4wk_
    Community Member

Hi @AlexHoffmann

Thanks for the answer. Indeed, pretty annoying! This behaviour could totally make me give up on Firefox, and stay with Chrome :-1:
    Your advice works, but I have to do it twice (one for loggin, one for the password).

• Actually, that shouldn't be the case. 1Password will send a TAB to switch to the next available field before filling the password.
    Does the HTTP AUTH you're trying to use work differently?

This discussion has been closed.