Small Things with B1 that I feel could be improved

rustyshelf
rustyshelf
Community Member

These are just my personal gripes, feel free to ignore :)

• every overflow menu has an 'Exit' button. Users don't need help quitting an app…they have a home button for that?
  • Settings -> Sync -> Notification (I turn this off) I still get a notification both during sync and after, and it just stays there. That's spamming your users for no good reason :(
  • I can't find where to add multiple vaults? We use this on both iOS and OS X and we haven't signed up for teams. Can I not do that on Android?
  • Help belongs in the side menu, not in every single overflow menu
  • What does 'Lock' do in that same overflow menu? Never seen that in the iOS app
  • It feels like that entire overflow menu is a bit redundant. 'Edit' could just be a button in the toolbar, 'Sync' can be an option in the pull out drawer on the side. It feels odd to go to every single page, and have the same 4 options everywhere. That's not what an overflow menu is meant to be for. It's for actions related to that page you're on

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

+1 @rustyshelf on all these suggestions.

In regards to bullet #3, multiple personal vaults is not supported (among many other missing features). The only way to get multiple vaults (for now) is through 1Password for Teams.

• Hey @rustyshelf! Thanks for checking out the new beta, we appreciate your feedback. These are some great suggestions - let's go through them:

• every overflow menu has an 'Exit' button. Users don't need help quitting an app…they have a home button for that?

I agree, although the Exit button in the overflow menu performs additional cleanup operations before quitting the app, I think it's time for us to revisit this menu.

• Settings -> Sync -> Notification (I turn this off) I still get a notification both during sync and after, and it just stays there. That's spamming your users for no good reason :(

This setting is for the toast notification, and not the notification in the notification drawer. At this time, we don’t have an in-app setting that disables the notification in the notification drawer, but this can be done from the system level if you like to.

The sync notification in the notification drawer should automatically dismiss itself after a couple of seconds. The only exception to that is if sync fails. Let me know if this is the behaviour you see. :)

• I can't find where to add multiple vaults? We use this on both iOS and OS X and we haven't signed up for teams. Can I not do that on Android?

Multiple vaults is not yet supported for local AgileKeychain folders. We recently added multiple vault support for 1Password for Teams accounts though. And we plan to look into expanding this feature to non-team vaults as well.

• Help belongs in the side menu, not in every single overflow menu

The team plans to update the placement of Settings very soon. :)

• What does 'Lock' do in that same overflow menu? Never seen that in the iOS app

Depending on your Security settings, you may choose to have background locking and autolock timer disabled. This option just allows you to explicitly lock your vault when you need to.

It’s on iOS too, but it’s found under Settings > Security > Lock Now.

• It feels like that entire overflow menu is a bit redundant. 'Edit' could just be a button in the toolbar, 'Sync' can be an option in the pull out drawer on the side. It feels odd to go to every single page, and have the same 4 options everywhere. That's not what an overflow menu is meant to be for. It's for actions related to that page you're on

I'll bring up your feedback to the development team. Sync can also be triggered using swipe to refresh!

• rustyshelf
    rustyshelf
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

I agree, although the Exit button in the overflow menu performs additional cleanup operations before quitting the app, I think it's time for us to revisit this menu.

That's not a great reason to have an exit button, do you cleanup in your main Activity's onDestroy method or similar.

At this time, we don’t have an in-app setting that disables the notification in the notification drawer

"Hey I'm syncing, OK I finished syncing!" as a notification while the app is actively up is kinda crummy. I get that you might want a notification while background syncing to ensure your app isn't killed by the OS...but leaving it there shouldn't ever be a thing. You're finished syncing? Great...why are you telling me? It was your job as an app to do that, you don't need to tell me it worked.

Multiple vaults is not yet supported for local AgileKeychain folders

This was my biggest hope for this release, because I DropBox sync my keychains to iOS, Android and OS X. I'm really disappointed this feature isn't there...and I don't think I'd be alone :(

It’s on iOS too, but it’s found under Settings > Security > Lock Now.

Perfect placement of it. Consider doing the same on Android. As I said, the intention of the top bar, and any overflow items in it is that they should be about the screen your currently on. Locking seems like a system level thing ;)

Sync can also be triggered using swipe to refresh!

Yes I know, but I don't see a downside to also having it in the side menu, perhaps with a time it last refreshed. We do this in one of our apps as well. My issue is, it doesn't belong in the overflow menu all time. Your call though :)

Overall if I had to summarise my feelings about this update: I'm really happy your working on the app, but I won't hide the fact that I'm disappointed that it's almost exactly the same app as before, just with some of the design assets tweaked. I realise sometimes a huge amount of work goes into a redesign behind the scenes, so I don't want to judge...but I was hoping for so much more. Even things like the search function seem to be exactly the same, just with a different button placement. Whoever designed and used the iOS app saw the need to have search front and centre...how are Android users magically different? They want to search their vaults as well. Don't hide that away many taps from where the app opens :(

• That's not a great reason to have an exit button, do you cleanup in your main Activity's onDestroy method or similar.

You’re right, I don’t think the Exit button is necessary. We can handle the same cleanup elsewhere, as you suggested.

"Hey I'm syncing, OK I finished syncing!" as a notification while the app is actively up is kinda crummy. I get that you might want a notification while background syncing to ensure your app isn't killed by the OS...but leaving it there shouldn't ever be a thing. You're finished syncing? Great...why are you telling me? It was your job as an app to do that, you don't need to tell me it worked.

The notification serves as a status for sync - letting you know 1Password is still syncing your data. The notification should automatically clear itself when sync completes successfully.

I do understand your point of the notification not being necessary when 1Password is in the foreground. I’ll bring this up with the developers.

This was my biggest hope for this release, because I DropBox sync my keychains to iOS, Android and OS X. I'm really disappointed this feature isn't there...and I don't think I'd be alone :(

Thanks for adding your voice to this request. I like to see this as well, along with many others!

Perfect placement of it. Consider doing the same on Android. As I said, the intention of the top bar, and any overflow items in it is that they should be about the screen your currently on. Locking seems like a system level thing ;)

Yes I know, but I don't see a downside to also having it in the side menu, perhaps with a time it last refreshed. We do this in one of our apps as well. My issue is, it doesn't belong in the overflow menu all time. Your call though :)

I’ll mention this as part of your request to review the overflow menu. :)

Even things like the search function seem to be exactly the same, just with a different button placement. Whoever designed and used the iOS app saw the need to have search front and centre...how are Android users magically different? They want to search their vaults as well. Don't hide that away many taps from where the app opens :(

Search is one of the most used functionalities on Android too, and we do have plans to improve it’s accessibility in an upcoming beta.

• nickjbedford
    nickjbedford
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Why do I feel like it's still going to be months before we get the features that are the most important. I switched from an iPhone to android and the only thing that would make me switch back is this application. It's my most fundamental source of information, my identity for everything!

The features we need before anything else are the non-trivial ones, but it's been so long since they were widely available in the iOS version. These are literally the features that make it unusable as someone who switched to Android.

• OPVault over Dropbox! I have to use wifi sync which means no remote sync outside home.
    • Useful password shortcut. The PIN code is almost never used.
    • Item icons don't show up. They just use default.
    • Front page search access!

I'm a software developer so I really do understand how complicated some things actually are to implement, but it feels like there is about one person working on the Android version compared to the iOS version which is ahead by about 18-24 months.

• SteBae
    SteBae
    Community Member

^^ This!

• @nickjbedford Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the beta. I can certainly understand where you are coming from. We have a dedicated Android team that is working very hard on making the 1Password experience better.

As I mentioned in a different thread, we plan to have shorter and more focused releases with 1Password for Android. I’m happy to say that some of your requests are currently being worked on. Stayed tuned for upcoming beta updates! :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@saad how many members does the Android team have? :)

• When I joined AgileBits, our Android team consisted of a single developer. Since then, we have grown the team to include three developers in addition to several others focused on design and support. I’m really excited about the team’s growth and even more excited about where we are taking 1Password for Android in 2016! ;)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@saad That's great. Looking forward to (hopefully?) having the Android app catch up to the other platforms in functionality and (maybe, one day?) even implement some unique differentiating features.

• @EnerJi That's the plan (minus the question marks) :)

This discussion has been closed.