1Password is not automatically filling information [1Password does not have "auto-fill"]

Options
frustrated1
frustrated1
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

I am completely frustrated with your website. I am not a 'techie' and can't understand the language. My log-in information won't fill in, even when I go to the 'card' in 1 Password and ask it to it does nothing. No way to contact you. Really!!! Is talking to an actual human too much to ask? Wish I had never bought this app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @frustrated1,

I'm really sorry that you're running into these issues. We're looking into various issues users are having with filling at the moment and we think that the vast majority of them are caused by the same problem.

If the following instructions don't make things better for you, here's the information that we'd like to know in order to best help you. When you say that you go to the "card" in 1Password and ask it to fill, do you mean clicking the "open & fill" button? And can you give us a specific website that you're trying to do this with?

Here's the solution that should fix the majority of issues people are seeing:

1Password 6 requires version 4.5.2 of our browser extension. In general, the browser extension keeps itself up to date without you having to do anything at all. In some cases the browser fails to install updates for us. We're seeing a large number of users still using version 4.4 of the extension. To make sure that you're using the latest and greatest browser extension, let's manually re-install it:

Re-Installing Browser Extension in Safari

In Safari you should:

Re-Installing Browser Extension in Chrome

In Chrome you should:

• Click on the Chrome > Preferences... menu item
    • Select 'Extensions' on the left hand side bar
    • Click the trash icon next to the 1Password extension
    • Restart Chrome
    • Go to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions and install the latest extension

Re-Installing Browser Extension in Firefox

In Firefox you should:

• Use the Tools > Add-on menu item
    • Select the 'Extensions' category in the left side bar
    • Click the 'Remove' button next to the 1Password extension in the list
    • Restart Firefox
    • Go to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions and install the latest extension

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, please let us know. We want to make this better for you.

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Deleting and reloading the extension seems to have solved the problem.

• That's great to hear, @frustrated1.

Please never hesitate to reach out to us whenever you run into any issues. We're happy to help.

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

If you don't mind I'd like to provide a bit of feedback on your site. It would be really, really nice and far more efficient to have a chat feature instead of providing a very time consuming forum to solve problems. You've been very nice and very helpful but my issue would have been resolved a lot more quickly if we had been able to chat.

Thanks again,
    Susan

• Hi Susan,

I don't mind at all. We're still trying to figure out how we want to scale our support. There are many benefits to a forum, such as being able to get help from people who aren't AgileBits employees (there's a good number of awesome users who just pop in to answer questions, and that helps us tremendously as we're not a very big company). But we understand that not everyone likes the hassle of having to create an account, and then post their problem on a public forum. Especially when the forum experience nearly everywhere else on the internet is so poor. We want to do better. We're just trying to figure out how to do it in a way that we'll be happy with.

Have yourself a great rest of your day.

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Turns out the problem isn't completely solved. When I try to log in normally the information doesn't automatically fill in. The only way it will do this is if I go to the item in 1Password and click on "open and fill" the website. Please let me know if there is a solution to this.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@frustrated1 said,

When I try to log in normally the information doesn't automatically fill in. The only way it will do this is if I go to the item in 1Password and click on "open and fill" the website.

1Password is indeed designed never to fill in your information unless you decide to ask it to. When you visit a web site in your browser and want to log in, you'll need to initiate that action. There are a couple of ways to do that. One is to click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser and then click on the offered login. But an even more efficient way is to use the keyboard shortcut, ⌘\ (press the command key and the backslash at the same time). This is related to the notion that there is only "one password" for every site, ⌘\, which fills the appropriate credentials. This is for your own security, so that you won't find your password manager filling in your crentials to a web site that isn't the one you thought it was.

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm not understanding the way this works. For the first year after I installed 1Password my information would be automatically entered on the login page, regardless of which website I was trying to login to. In other words, hit the bookmark and the login with the relevant login information would appear. Now when I hit the bookmark I get the login page - blank. Are you suggesting that I have to reset every site or is there a way to set 1Password to behave the way it used to.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@frustrated1 - Sorry, I misunderstood your question, 1Password should indeed continue to work the way you describe. There hasn't been any change in that behavior with version 6, but some users are having trouble because a new version of the extension needs to be installed, and that hasn't been happening automatically like it should. You haven't said what your preferred browser is, but @rickfillion gave you instructions for installing the correct new version of the extension in any one of the supported browsers in his answer just under your original post.

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

I have deleted and reinstalled the extension but part of the problem is still there. Before I reinstalled the extension I couldn't even get the login information to load when accessing the desired website from the 1Password item (e.g. selecting "open and fill."

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Someone more experienced with the inner workings of 1Password will need to step in here, but please tell them now what browser you are using. Also what version of OS X is your Mac using?

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

OS X 10.11.1 with Safari.

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I can pursuade Rick to rejoin the conversation?

• Hi @frustrated1,

Let's make sure that we're talking about the same thing here. :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you would click a bookmark to open a webpage, and that as soon as it would load, your username and password would be populated. Is that right? I want to make sure that what we're talking about is the filling of the user name and password, as opposed to automatically clicking "Login" on your behalf. What kind of bookmarks were these? If possible can you give us the URL of one of these bookmarks? Seeing the URL would help identify if 1Password is involved here.

Were they bookmarks created with 1Password itself? We have this feature called "1 click bookmarks" which would behave much as you describe. If this is was a 1 click bookmark, then it's entirely possible that we broke this in version 6. Broke isn't quite the right word... I fixed one bug (a big one), and in exchange it's such that in some scenarios older style 1-click bookmarks may not work anymore and may need to be re-created.

If the bookmarks weren't created by 1Password, then my next question would be... when the fields would get filled in, would the field then turn yellow-ish? If so, that's not actually 1Password that's doing the filling there, but Safari + iCloud Keychain. It's possible to use both in conjunction. It's possible that Safari or iCloud Keychain decided it was going to stop remembering your stuff, and that you need to login with 1Password again on the various sites so that it saves the login info and can fill later.

I'm out for the evening, but will be back around tomorrow morning.

We'll get this sorted out. :)

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Your first statement is correct and no, it has never automatically logged me in. It used to populate (I'll get the jargon sooner or later) the sign-in information automatically. It no longer does this when I click on my own bookmark(s) to access the webpage(s) but I can get it to populate by going to the item in 1Password and clicking "open and fill" next to the website url. I have a not used 1Password bookmarks.

I've had the same problem on all the websites I've tried to log into today. I've been doing my monthly on-line banking (four websites) and it has therefore been a month since I tried logging in. I don't recall having this problem last time around. I don't keep banking passwords on Safari and have not activated iCloud keychain.

Sample url: https://easyweb.td.com/waw/idp/login.htm?execution=e1s1

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, I think I may have spoken in error regarding bookmarks. Does saving a login to 1Password create a 1Password bookmark?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frustrated1 When you save a login to 1Password, that login information stays in 1Password unless you take some extra action to add it to your browsers or to allow integration with third-party apps like Alfred.

One of the lesser known features of 1Password is the 1Click bookmark. By dragging the login from the login list into your browser's bookmark bar (or anywhere else that supports a URL being dragged in), you can get a clickable bookmark in your browser like you're used to but with the added benefit of triggering a 1Password filling. For the best experience, be sure that the first URL stored in the login is the URL to the actual login page. For instance, if the website is www.example.com but you need to click through to www.example.com/login.html, set the first URL in the login to include the login.html bit.

I hope that helps!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jamie, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I have saved the login pages to 1Password and I don't get a populated login page. just to be sure I deleted one (the example I provided) last night and went through the process again, saving the login to 1Password when prompted. I exited and tried logging in again from the same bookmark but still got an empty login page. I'm wondering if I have to delete 1Password and start over but I'd lose all my (75) logins.

• Hi Susan (@frustrated1),

OK, so that bookmark URL is definitely not a 1Click Bookmark. This tells me that what you were seeing was actually very very likely not done by 1Password, and likely by Safari itself. There's only two cases I can think of where login information will be automatically populated when a website opens:

1) Using a 1Click Bookmark, which we've ruled out since the URL lacks the little bit of information that would be required
    2) If you use the "open & fill" button in 1Password, or select an item in 1Password mini and hit the return key.

Outside of those two scenarios, 1Password is actually unable to automatically fill those for you.

You might want to look at your options in Safari > Preferences > AutoFill

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Rick. I've gone to Safari AutoFill and everything is checked off exactly like your example. All I know is that 1Password doesn't work the way it used to. Wish I knew why.

• Hi Susan,

I'd like to understand who was filling in those values, cause I really don't think it was 1Password. :)

Rick

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Me too. I recently did a software update on my Mac so perhaps something got changed in the process. Guess we'll never know. From now on I'll access via 1Password.... at least I know that works. By the way, is there a way to get hard copy of all the items stored in 1Password? Would love to have backup under lock and key.

Thanks,
    Susan

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@frustrated1:

By the way, is there a way to get hard copy of all the items stored in 1Password?

You can print all selected items direct from 1Password by using the 1P > File > Print... menu. You may like to note that MrC's converter utility (which you'll find referred to in the first post in this thread here on the forum) includes an:

export converter for creating a compact, print-suitable format.

You may find that the output from that is much better than the output direct from 1Password.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Just make sure that you trust the printer you use too. Often they store cached copies of data... :dizzy:

• frustrated1
    frustrated1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Great forum!
    Susan

• Any time, Susan. Don't hesitate to come back with more questions. We're here to help! :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.