How do I install 1Password on a second computer?

Both computers use Windows, one 7 and one 10
I am currently abroad so cannot access the first computer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:install on second computer, kb:license-requirements

Comments

• AdventurerMike
    AdventurerMike
    Community Member

Same question for me except that I have both computers at my fingertips and still can't figure it out. The instructions say to look within Preferences, but when I try to open 1Password, I get the message "1Password.agilekeychain" is read only.

I looked in the "1Password.agilekeychain" folder, but there are 3 folders, "a", "Config" and "data" but I don't see any mention of "vault".

(sigh).

• AdventurerMike
    AdventurerMike
    Community Member

Oh, and BTW, why isn't OneDrive syncing covered in the tutorials?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stumper: You can install 1Password for Windows from the AgileBits website, and then use your license key to register the app. You're entitled to use it on all of your PCs.

@AdventurerMike: While some folks have had success simply storing their vaults in OneDrive to sync between computers (it will need to be available offline), OneDrive isn't a supported sync service. 1Password.agilekeychain is your vault. And it sounds like you may already have it stored in OneDrive. It will not work properly though if 1Password cannot access it offline, so make sure you flag it to make it available on your device.

Alternatively, you can use Dropbox Sync, which is supported in all current versions of 1Password across all platforms.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Hi guys,

@stumper, was your 1Password data on the first PC already configured to be sync'ed via Dropbox or how were you planning to sync your data between both computers?

@AdventurerMike, on the first PC where you started using 1Password, you no longer can access your data when you open the main program and unlock it, it gives the read-only error? Or is this happening only on the second PC?

• stumper
    stumper
    Community Member

Sounds like it will be best to leave things until I get back home then use Dropbox
    Thanks for the advice

• Hi @stumper,

It may be the best option for now since it wasn't yet configured to use Dropbox. We'll be here to help out if you need anything.

• AdventurerMike
    AdventurerMike
    Community Member

Hi Mike T,

Sorry for the delay in responding... very busy time.

Partial victory!: On my new computer, I got 1password working fine, with the vault now being located within the OneDrive Folders and all my logins are there..

However, On my old computer, if I try to open the 1password vault in the same location, I still get the message "1Password.agilekeychain is read only". I looked at the agilekeychain folder and see that it shows as being read-only, but it is the same on the new computer and 1password is operating on it just fine. I changed the file attributes to uncheck the read-only box, but when I save my changes and then look again, the folder again has reverted to read-only, so I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree. 1password is happy to open the vault in the default location, but it is empty and of no use to me.

I wondered about a file-lock by OneDrive, but I tried exiting 1password on the new computer, shutting down FireFox and even powering the computer down. Didn't help.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike B.

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @AdventurerMike,

You are likely affected by a Windows 10 bug, we've seen this before and it is not related to 1Password, many Windows 10 users have reported the same issue for several months at Microsoft's support forum affecting various products.

I don't have a better solution for this but you can try what worked already for two users, create a new account and migrate to it.

• AdventurerMike
    AdventurerMike
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Both computers are running W10. Is there a diagnostic or repair tool that might correct whatever it is in W10, given that the newer computer with W10 deals with it fine?

Thanks,

Mike

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @AdventurerMike,

As far as I know, there isn't anything like that.

The affected computer, was it upgraded to Windows 10 or did it come with Windows 10?

• AdventurerMike
    AdventurerMike
    Community Member

The old one was upgraded to it. Updated from original W7 to 8.0 to 8.something, then 10.

New one came with it.

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @AdventurerMike,

Yep, that makes sense. Almost all reports of this was because of the upgrade to Windows 10, it wasn't migrated or upgraded properly.

There may be a better solution or a quick one, but we haven't found one yet. It is not something we can fix within 1Password but something Microsoft needs to provide a tool for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AdventurerMike: Indeed. I had thought this issue was fixed months ago, but apparently some users are having their profiles corrupted. As far as I know the only solution is to create a new admin profile, move everything over, and use that after deleting the old corrupt one. If the new computer came with Windows 10, it likely wouldn't be affected since this seems to happen during the upgrade process. But you also seem to be one of a small subset of users affected by this. :(

This discussion has been closed.