Move to Dropbox Windows 10

Options

Hi, I could not move my 1password data to Dropbox in Windows 10. The button is not greyed out and when I pressed it, nothing happens. I've already re-install back my Dropbox and also restarted my PC.

Can anybody here help me out? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shark_coffee: Hmm. That is really odd. Nothing at all happens when you click it? No error? No Windows chime? Do you have your Dropbox folder in a custom location? Now you can always move your 1Password.agilekeychain to Dropbox manually (Dropbox\Apps\1Password\ is a good place) if you simply want to get up-and-syncing, but I'd be interested to get to the bottom of this. Could you send a diagnostics report to us at support+forums@agilebits.com to help us figure this out? If you attempt to Move to Dropbox one more time and then generate the diagnostics before doing anything else, it would be appreciated. THen if you need to you can move it manually while we examine the logs. Thanks! :)

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@brenty thanks for your reply. Well, I installed my Dropbox in it's default location which is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox

Note: No error message, or chime or anything when I clicked "Move to Dropbox" button.

I'll try to move it manually to Dropbox then. Meanwhile, I've send out the diagnostic file as you requested. Thanks again for helping out.

• Hi @shark_coffee,

Thanks, we got the email and will reply as soon as possible.

ref: RVL-21373-848

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it works with manual sync to Dropbox. Thanks for the help @brenty @MikeT :chuffed:

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

However, each time I input new data, I need to manually copy and paste back to my Dropbox. It doesn't sync automatically. Appreciate if you guys could give me a suggestion on that matter.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shark_coffee: Sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you're still using a vault not stored in Dropbox. Is that the case? You'll need to not only copy your vault to Dropbox (to make sure your current data is stored there), but then open that same vault in your Dropbox folder in 1Password itself. That way you'll be using the vault in Dropbox when you make any changes, and that way Dropbox can sync them for you going forward.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

I can't seem to get it to work. When I try to direct it to my Dropbox directory, this error popped up.

How to fix this?

• Hi @shark_coffee,

It looks like the permissions for your Dropbox folder are messed up. Have you moved your account or tried to access a different user account on your PC?

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

I'm the only user in my PC. I have the admin rights too for this account. Any ideas how to work around this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shark_coffee: This means that 1Password cannot write to the file. This could be because the .agilekeychain itself is set to read-only on your computer, or the entire folder in Dropbox is. Is aiman your user account, or are you trying to access files in someone else's? There may also be a more general file permissions issue that needs to be addressed, especially if you're not the administrator. If you don't have full access to the folder, 1Password won't be able to write to the file. Please let me know what you find! :)

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

I'm the Admin and the only user for my PC. I have the admin rights. Should I try to install 1Password and Dropbox in different directory (for example drive D:) just to test if it might work out?

• ttewing
    ttewing
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is the exact same problem I'm having that I posted in my thread, awaiting a response. How do you "point" to dropbox from Windows 10 exactly? I have the same experience. When I click on Move to Dropbox, it opens the dropbox window, but doesn't create a file, the dropbox window remains empty. When I move it manually, it doesn't update automatically. Same as this thread's OP. There seems to be no direct linkage between Windows 10 1password interface and the Dropbox window. The key here appears to be how to identify for 1password a URL or otherwise mapping to the real linked Dropbox location.

Well that, or find a way for WiFi syncing to work, but that didn't work either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm the Admin and the only user for my PC. I have the admin rights. Should I try to install 1Password and Dropbox in different directory (for example drive D:) just to test if it might work out?

@shark_coffee: I think it would be simpler to just change it from read-only to full access so 1Password can work with it. I'm not sure why it would be read-only in the first place. :dizzy:

This is the exact same problem I'm having that I posted in my thread, awaiting a response. How do you "point" to dropbox from Windows 10 exactly?

@ttewing: 1Password Preferences > General > Move to Dropbox. However, if you already have the vault in Dropbox (because you set it up on another device), when you launch 1Password for Windows for the first time, it will offer to use it. Alternatively, you can go to 1Password File > Open 1Password Vault to select it manually.

I have the same experience. When I click on Move to Dropbox, it opens the dropbox window, but doesn't create a file, the dropbox window remains empty.

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I don't know what you mean by "it opens the dropbox window, but doesn't create a file". Which Dropbox window are you referring to? Also, 1Password will not create a new vault when you do this. It will "Move [the current vault] to Dropbox". You can, however, create a new 1Password vault using the File menu if you wish.

When I move it manually, it doesn't update automatically. Same as this thread's OP. There seems to be no direct linkage between Windows 10 1password interface and the Dropbox window. The key here appears to be how to identify for 1password a URL or otherwise mapping to the real linked Dropbox location.

Dropbox is not connected to 1Password. They are completely separate apps. 1Password can simply store the vault in your Dropbox folder, and then Dropbox will sync it. Can you tell me which URL you're talking about?

Just like when opening a file in Notepad, if you move the file, Notepad doesn't know where it is unless you open it again. Similarly, 1Password only knows that you've put the vault in Dropbox (or anywhere else on your computer) if you have 1Password move it for you, or use File > Open 1Password Vault to locate it after moving it manually.

Well that, or find a way for WiFi syncing to work, but that didn't work either.

Wi-Fi Sync works only if your network environment is configured properly, so that nothing is blocking the connection between your devices. Dropbox is simpler because it doesn't depend on your network setup. Like any other files or folder you want to sync using Dropbox, it just needs to be inside the Dropbox folder.

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've managed to fix it. Looks like this is a major problem for Windows 10 due to some bug.

How to solve it? Create a new admin user in your PC and then migrate your data to that user. Delete the old admin user. The new admin user account should work perfectly fine.

It works for me. Give it a try. You can refer to another similar thread at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/45593/after-windows-10-upgrade-1password-has-encountered-a-problem-v-agilekeychain-is-read-only

• MikeT
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks for updating the thread with the working solution. It is unfortunate that you have to go through that.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft about this. Hopefully, Microsoft will have a better fix for this in future updates.

This discussion has been closed.