User Manuals for really old software

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Lounge

I understand the need to keep current. I have 1Password 4 to 4.5 iOS that I need to find the user guides to.

Are they still available?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I thought they still existed out there somewhere in Google-land, but it seems they've slowly been replaced by the current user guides. I found some with the Internet Archive, but it's a bit off...and frankly 1Password 4 was very similar to versions 5 and 6, just without as many features.

I hope this helps a bit, and be sure to let us know if there are specific questions you have about 1Password 4. We've got a lot of knowledge here collectively, and may even be able to dig up some hardware that has it running! ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brent! Greig Allen answered one question regarding secondary vaults through email.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I'm glad to hear that Greig has been helping you out via email. As Brenty says, we're always here to help if there's anything else you need. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I ought to make it a point to download the epaper versions when I can. Storage is cheap anyway. I found this:

https://guides.agilebits.com/index.html

I was half expecting that the User Guides to have been updated to 1Password by now?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@Megan, @brenty I am outside the time window for correction. The guides linked above are in need of an update when v4 and v5 are already outdated and the links point most likely to v6. The ebook is at 1Password v6

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

You're right, those are guides that refer to 1Password 4 and 5. The good news is that we do have brand new shiny guides for the current versions. Those User Guides now live on support.1password.com. We haven't shut down our the guides.agilebits.com page so that people still have access to our legacy guides when they need them.

I hope this helps!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@megan Have you looked at those old guides? They look like 1Password v4/5 but actually appear to point to v6. I wanted a v4 for iOS guide that I cannot find anymore. The telltale sign is that 1Password 4 iOS doesn't have the in App Purchased Pro features.

• Ben
    Options

You're right. It appears all links now lead to the latest version's guide. Unfortunately I no longer have a copy myself, but if you have any specific questions we'll certainly do our best to help.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for chiming in Ben. Are the Manula guides still active? I could look there. I wanted to find ebooks for 1Password 4 - 4.5. I still have this in an old phone.

• Ben
    Options

No problem. As far as I can tell, they are not, unfortunately. It seems they've been replaced with redirects to the v6 guide.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff,

Are there any 3rd party sources of the 1Password User Guides. I recollect that there was one of "Take Control" books dedicated to 1Password but I haven't gone further. I cannot recall if it was for MAC, Windows, or for mobile devices.

• Ben
    Options

Not that I'm aware of. There is a newer version of the Take Control of 1Password book (a second edition), and that is all I've been able to find.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I will try to find one of Agilebits newsletters which included Take Control of 1Password v1.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I managed to find the newsletter which I misread as Take Control of 1Password. It is actually reads " Take Control of Your Online Privacy" book.

• Ah, that was a classic! Good times :)

I'm sorry for the pain with the old guides. There's a lot of issues going on there, including us switching servers and services multiple times. The other big issue is users find these old guides in Google and get confused when trying to follow them for newer versions.

The best solution would be to package the help guides within the apps themselves, and we used to do that. The problem there is they are very hard to update so we stopped doing that long ago.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. I have no idea where these old guides wound up.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@dteare, Possibly, my only alternative is to contact Joe Kissell. I read somewhere that the old ebook is free when I get the Take Control of 1Password 2nd Edition.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

This is from the Take Control of 1Password FAQ:

"What about 1Password 4?
    Good question! 1Password 4 runs under 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks. (If you need help with 1Password 4, please get in touch with us, since if you buy the second edition about 1Password 6, we can make the first edition of this book available to you.)

If you have a Mac running 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion, you can run 1Password 3, instead. Note that you can sync/share data between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4. AgileBits has an enthusiastic support article about this topic, How do I use 1Password 4 in Snow Leopard or Lion?.

(A lot of the information in the first edition applies to 1Password 3, but this ebook doesn’t have special notes for 1Password 3 users; it assumes 1Password 4.)"

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the delayed reply to this! I'm not sure if your last post here was asking for additional help or if you were just letting us know what you found in the 'Take Control' FAQ.

In case you're still looking for old user guides / knowledgebase articles from 1Password 3 or 4, I wanted to suggest trying the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine (Brenty referred to this in an earlier reply in this discussion). For example, here are a few that I found there:

1Password 3 for Mac:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140731064625/http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/

1Password 4 for Mac:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140814004740/http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-4-for-mac/4/en/topic/welcome-to-1password-mac

1Password 4 for iOS:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140816175740/http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/welcome-to-1password-for-ios

It looks like a few screenshots might not work, and I haven't tested all the links within each guide, but from the bit of exploring I did there, it looks like the old information is intact, so hopefully you'll be able to find the information you're looking for. If you have a specific question about something in an old version, be sure to let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.