I am continually prompted to uninstall old 1password extension.

beausmith
beausmith
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Every time I start up my mac I'm prompted to uninstall an old version of the 1Password Chrome extension. I would like to know how I can get this prompt to stop. Can you help me figure out what I need to do in order to get this to stop?

Attached is a screenshot of this prompt which also includes the version of 1Password I'm running and the version of the Chrome extension.

A little bit more about the environment that I'm running 1Password: I use 1P on a MacBook with two user accounts, one for me, one for my wife. I have two 1P vaults. One of these we share via Dropbox. The other I share via Dropbox, so that I can sync passwords with my other computer, a MacBook Pro, and the 1Password app on my iPhone. I have Chrome synced between my two computers such that all extensions, bookmarks, etc are synced. When my wife logs into her user account on the MacBook, she too is prompted with the same "uninstall old chrome extension" pop up. I do not have the Safari 1P extension installed anywhere.

This has been happening for months, but I finally got fed up enough to uninstall and reinstall all extensions and ensure that all my 1P software is up to date.

Related discussions and my comments:

How can we get this uninstall prompt to stop?

Avid—but currently annoyed—fan of 1Password,
Beau

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:extension is still installed in google chrome, kb:uninstall-extension

Comments

• Hi Beau,

There has got to be an old 1Password 3 era extension on your computer somewhere. I traced the code path of that error back to our v3 extension server which listens to local loopback connections on ports 6258, 10191, 14821, 24861, 25007, 38151, 46360, 49801, 55730, and 59483. Something is connecting from Chrome to that server and sending a message beginning with "U2FsdGVk".

To complicate matters, a Chrome extension running on a backgrounded user of a multi-user Mac can connect to these ports and cause problems during fast user switching.

Try trashing /Users//Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions/ for both user accounts and restarting Chrome.

I hope that helps.

• Just to be safe. Trashing that folder will remove all your Chrome extensions for the Default Chrome profile. You may wish to move or rename the folder instead. If you have additional Chrome profiles, you may want to explore outside the 'Default' folder.

• paulbc
    paulbc
    Community Member

I too get this message, but I know why and still want it to stop.

My older iMac at home can only run an outdated version of Chrome(it won't update to the latest due to age of computer and version of OSX). My office computer runs all the latest(Chrome and 1Password). If I delete the older mini 1Password from the browser on my newer computer, then I can't access 1Password from the old computer at home...running the older version of Chrome, right?

Maybe I have it upside down, but can you please guide me on how to use a 1Password button in both versions of Chrome.(synced together of course)

Thanks for your help in advance.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @paulbc,

It sounds like the problem you are facing right now relates to Chromes ability to synchronise extensions when you sign in with your Google account in multiple copies of Chrome. Now you can instruct Chrome not to synchronise extensions but not at the granular level of sync all extensions but this one - it's either sync all extensions and receive the rather "insistent" message (not the quotes, I share your pain) or manually control extensions on each machine but then give yourself the ability where you keep the 1Password Chrome Extension on the older Mac and keep the newer 1Password extension on just the new machine.

If that sounds like a possible plan then I believe this Google page, Sync Chrome data across devices will show you how to instruct Chrome not to sync extensions. Does it help?

• paulbc
    paulbc
    Community Member

Yep. That sums up the problem completely. As Chrome has stopped providing updates to OSX 10.7(on my older computer) I have to keep running an older version of 1Password that is compatible with the older Chrome. It's only the new computer which gets the insistent reminder. Two solutions, both out of my hands:

1. Chrome allows for selective sync of extensions
    2. New 1Password can run on older versions of Chrome

or 3. I get a new computer for my wife ;-/

• Hi @paulbc,

Can you explain to me why it would be a bad idea to have the older Mac not sync extensions at all? It seems to me like that would be the best solution to this.

Rick

• paulbc
    paulbc
    Community Member

Hi Rick,

Not syncing extensions means I can't use ... my ... extensions on that computer. I rely on them a lot, but am I missing the point of your question? If I switch off "sync" it stops universally doesn't it? Then whatever I've used or saved onto my usual working current version of Chrome won't come across to others that I use off site, right?

• Hi @paulbc,

So there are two different syncs here.

One is 1Password syncing data, which can happen regardless of any Chrome settings. So login information saved on one device will show up on another despite anything we do with Chrome. Sync in our case happens via either Dropbox, iCloud, etc...

Then there's Chrome's sync settings itself. I personally don't even sign in, in Chrome. So my extensions in Chrome don't sync between devices I have, and yet they all still work. I don't know what other kinds of chrome extensions you're using, some of them may require that you be signed in to Chrome, and some may even require that you have extension syncing enabled... I can only speak for our own extension. With our own, you shouldn't need to have chrome extension syncing enabled.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• beausmith
    beausmith
    Community Member

Hey @rickfillion, @chadseld and @littlebobbytables, thanks for working on this with us. I really appreciate the time and suggestions you’ve all made for determining and fixing the issue we’re having.

I’m hoping for a solution to this issue with 1Password that is fixed by 1Password. Any solution which requires us to disable a feature in another application which we find valuable is just a workaround (or a hack) which doesn’t solve the actual problem in 1Password.

Is this an issue which can be solved by updates to the 1Password app? I'm pretty sure, because 1Password is the app which is complaining.

If there is a reason why this issue cannot be solved by 1Password, please tell us more.

Thanks again, Beau

• Hi @beausmith,

I understand your viewpoint here, but I'm reluctant to do anything from our side here. There's a very real issue outside of the 1Password app in this case: an old version of the 1Password extension is running. That's not good. There's really nothing that the app itself can do to stop that. The best it could do is to stop telling you about it, but that doesn't resolve the fact that there's still two extensions running within Chrome, and that's a bad idea.

The number one time a user would see this prompt is when they've upgraded from an older version of 1Password to a newer one but haven't yet updated their browser extension to match. We want to (heavily) encourage those users to update the browser extension. If I add a "Don't show this again" checkbox to that dialog, there are far too many users who will just check that and be left without a working setup. It's unfortunate that it's catching scenarios like yours in the process.

I don't like my solution any more than you do, but at the moment it's the best idea I've got.

Rick

• paulbc
    paulbc
    Community Member

Actually, can I clarify the problem once again:

1. my older iMac can only run the old version of Chrome due to its age
    2. this older iMac with it's older version of Chrome can only use a previous version of 1Password.
    3. syncing extensions isn't really the issue, the main issue is point no. 2

I can only run an old version of 1Password on the old iMac(old Chrome), which isn't recommended is it @rickfillion?

Have switched off syncing for extensions so the message on my new iMac has been put to bed.

• Hi @paulbc,

I can only run an old version of 1Password on the old iMac(old Chrome), which isn't recommended is it @rickfillion?

We'd obviously love everyone to be using the latest and greatest version of 1Password... but we have to be realistic here. 1Password 6 requires 10.10 and not everyone has a Mac that runs 10.10. We still provide user support for 1Password 3, and I'm sure if someone came to us with 1Password 2 questions we'd try our best to help them out as well.

The way I look at it, none of this is a problem, it's just a reality. There's nothing for anyone to fix, we just need to figure out the best way to deal with it... which in this case would be to simply make the older Mac an island as far as extension syncing goes as you've done.

Good to hear that it's working out so far.

Rick

• paulbc
    paulbc
    Community Member

OK great, thanks Rick. So long as 1Password 3 lets me use all of my passwords and the security is still there, I'm happy!

This discussion has been closed.