Why doesn't 1 password display the usernames (at least not always) and how can I force it to do so?

Options
paulharts
paulharts
Community Member

Sometimes, 1password doesn't use the username. At least, it only fills out the password. It is anyway annoying that it doesn't do everything automatic but the real problem is that some organizations now use the username as an extra level of security. At least the Dutch tax authority does. Your username is sent to you by post and looks a bit like NL9867645987, typically a thing you would love to use 1password for, in order to remember it for you. But...it doesn't. It doesn't show it, and perhaps it even doesn't store it. And, most likely, I am just doing something wrong.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.0.1 (601003)
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OSX10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:usernames

Comments

• Hi Paul,

1Password can fill both the username and the password. If you select the login item in the browser menu and hover your mouse over it, a detail view will appear, showing what the login is using for the username and for the password. If the username is missing there, you can click Edit and add it to the login.

• paulharts
    paulharts
    Community Member
    Options

It does! Thank you! The only thing I would suggest, is to have a similar feature in the app itself. If I go to the app itself, I can hover all I want but - for me - the user name stays invisible many times. However, it saved my day (and my filings to the tax authorities). Thanks again.

• You are welcome. I'm glad that helped.

You can do the same through the main app, but you must click Edit for the username field to appear if it is blank. Blank fields are not shown unless in edit mode.

• paulharts
    paulharts
    Community Member
    Options

But sometimes, it doesn't.....not even in the Edit mode.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulharts,

Sorry for the confusion here, but that is a Password item and not a Login item.

There are Password items which only have the password field, and there are logins which have a username and a password field.

Thankfully if you have a Password item that you want to include a username, you can convert it into a Login item very easily.

Pressing that button will, among other things, add a username field, and will be fillable in web forms as usual.

This discussion has been closed.