Typinator disabled in 1P 6.0.1

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

With 1Password 6.0.1 (Agile Store version) and OS X 10.11.3, Typinator 6.8.1 expansions don't work in 1P.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any workaround?

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@DavidB AgileBits has taken a conscious decision, for security reasons, to disable, within 1Password, apps that can read 1Password fields (where, of course, you might be storing confidential information). For more explanation see this AgileBits' post.

Stephen

• Hi @DavidB,

Thanks for writing in. We've taken the step to enable Secure Input whenever you're editing in 1Password. We do this so that no other software can see what you're typing into 1Password. It's unfortunate that there are great apps out there that use the keyboard event tap to provide some awesome functionality and that these will get blocked by this change. For now we want to try the secure route, and we'll see how that goes.

Hope this helps explain why this is happening.

Rick

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion,

Thank you for the explanation -- I appreciate your help.

I have been using 1Password since 2007 and Typinator since 2011. Could you explain a little why this has only now been recognized to be a security problem?

David

• Hi @DavidB,

It's not so much that it's been declared a security problem, so much as something we've identified as something we could do better with. One case that we really wanted to protect against was "concealed" fields in the 1Password editor. Since they're not concealed during editing, we're not getting protections from the OS. But when we looked at adding that in, we decided that it'd be interesting for us to try securing all of the fields. The other fields we feel less strongly about, so we're treating that part as more of an experiment. I think it's cool that we protect them all, but I can see scenarios where it'd be nice to have things like TextExpander and Typinator work.

Thanks for the feedback. Depending on how this experiment works out, we may adjust things.

Cheers.

Rick

• Logan8212
    Logan8212
    Community Member
    Options

It bothers me a lot that I can no longer utilize my Typinator shortcuts when editing 1Password entries. :(

I have a lot of macros which I am just used to having available anywhere and anytime, e.g. to insert the current date, do operations on dates, change character sequences to Unicode characters which are not directly accessible from the keyboard and so on.

Why does 1Password turn this protection on even in cases where no password fields are part of the currently edited entry?

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @Logan8212 ,

Even though many of the fields are not password fields, many people consider all data stored in 1Password as sensitive. We are currently enabling Secure Input on all fields for this reason. However, we'd be very interested in hearing what fields you would mostly use Typinator in? Is it mainly the notes fields or are there other fields as well?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Logan8212
    Logan8212
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Yes, it is the notes fields where I am missing Typinator the most. I could probably live with Typinator support being unavailable everywhere else inside of 1Password if at least the note fields were unaffected.

I could then temporary switch into a note field to assemble text using Typinator replacements and transfer this text to some other 1Password field using cut and paste. Now I need to fire up a separate text editor application as a scratchpad which involves a lot of switching back and forth between apps, and that's a big nuisance.

Perhaps you could introduce a preferences setting that turns Secure Input off for notes?

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @Logan8212 ,

Thanks for providing your input. I certainly understand why it's a big nuisance. (I've done it myself too.) We'll consider this when planning future improvements!

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: OPM-3547

• Logan8212
    Logan8212
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thank you! :+1:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options