Wifi Sync (Android->Windows) only works on first install. After that it doesn't.

shock66
shock66
Community Member

Considering the many issues all over the web with wifi sync and 1Password, it seems obvious this "feature" needs some love from the devs.

Anyway, my problem is as described in the subject.
If I want to sync my vault I need to uninstall 1Password on my Android and reinstall. That's the only way I can get it to sync (yes I have tried all of the suggestions in the knowledgebase).

Is this a known thing? How can I get wifi sync to actually WORK when I want it to? So frustrating.
It's obvious it's not a network issue, since sync always works when I first install the Android app. It's like either the PC or the Android app aren't initializing any communication.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, Android Lollipop
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:wifi sync

Comments

• Hi @shock66. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Wi-Fi sync. Are you seeing any sync errors? If so, what error message are you seeing?

To be clear, 1Password on Android does not sync automatically with Wi-Fi sync, so you'll need to initiate sync manually to prompt the app to find your PC. You can do this by either swiping down from any screen except for Settings, or by tapping Sync from the overflow menu (the three dots in the top right corner). Once you initiate sync, 1Password should locate the PC on your network.

Let me know if that helps! If not, I'll be happy to help troubleshoot further. :)

• shock66
    shock66
    Community Member

Wow, that really worked. Thank you!
    I had no idea that's how you sync on Android.

Of note: The support article "Wi-Fi Sync on 1Password for Android" links to the wrong part of the user manual, which is why I didn't know how to sync on Android. It doesn't give you instructions to pull down or use the context menu.

See here: https://support.1password.com/guides/android/wifi.html

The correct instructions are buried in here, which is a little obscure: https://support.1password.com/guides/android/settings-sync.html

• That's good news! I'm glad that you were able to sync using Wi-Fi. :)

Sorry for the confusion there. The Wi-Fi sync user guide contains instructions for configuring sync, but indeed doesn't include instructions for subsequent syncs. I'll forward your feedback to the team.

Let us know if you need anything else! Thanks!

• ishtiaq
    ishtiaq
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Plz help me tell me everyone open wifi password apps ``

• Hi @ishtiaq. Thanks for reaching out to us today! I'll be happy to help out, but I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. If you would be willing to share a few more details about what problem you are experiencing, we would be more than happy to look into what might be going on and help you fix it. :)

• JohnHind
    JohnHind
    Community Member

Just figured this out myself and I agree the concept is good but let down by obscure implementation and poor documentation. As far as I can see there is no way to switch from syncing to local file and syncing over wifi except uninstalling and re-installing the app. (This also seems to apply to changing the sync location at all - even just the file location of a local file). This is very obscurantist and means a lot of people will never find this feature. The PC server prompting is also poor - when you need to see prompts on two different screens and they are popping up on the PC screen a long way from the main window (and sometimes even getting buried under other windows) it is easy to get very confused as nothing seems to be happening. When one screen is waiting for input on the other, it should clearly say so, and all prompts should be in the same window on the PC screen.

• JohnHind
    JohnHind
    Community Member

Another point: when you start sync on the phone, if the PC server is not already running it just flashes a brief message which then disappears before you get a proper chance to read it. The message should tell you exactly what to do on the PC and then wait until you either start the server or explicitly cancel the operation.

• Hey @JohnHind. Thanks for contacting us with your feedback. :)

With 1Password 4 for Android, it's possible to initially configure any supported sync solution you like. However, once you've configured sync, it's not possible to change syncing without resetting or reinstalling the app. You're absolutely right that this could be made clearer in the documentation, and I'll pass your feedback along to the team. We're working on improving our Android documentation at the moment, so you should notice some improvements there soon!

I'll also forward your feedback regarding Wi-Fi sync on Windows and notifications to the developers. Currently, you have to enter your Master Password into 1Password on Windows before Wi-Fi sync will initiate, and you then have to confirm it on Android. This is because there is currently no internal database for 1Password on Windows, and your Master Password is not stored in memory.

Let us know if you have any other questions or comments! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.