Yet another request to support Pale Moon

Options

As a long time Lastpass user, I was about to try 1Password. When I downloaded the extension, I saw it was incompatible with the Pale Moon browser - stopping me in my tracks.

This is surprising and disappointing because you support so many browsers now when virtually all Firefox extensions work natively and unadapted in Pale Moon.

In other words, you would only have to tweak the extension to be able to add another browser to your bow and there would be no additional maintenance or development costs as the extension for Firefox would continue to work in Pale Moon.

What do you think?

Comments

• Hi @Fulcrum,

The dialog you saw is not about incompatibility but a security check to prevent extensions from connecting to 1Password Helper if the browser's code signature is not on our list.

As you notice, all Firefox extensions would run unadapted in any Firefox-derived browsers. Now, imagine if a user downloaded an infected copy of Firefox or Pale Moon, or any other Firefox-based browser and installed 1Password extension in it. Now, the said browser is capturing all data to upload it elsewhere. There'd be no way of knowing without us adding security checks to make sure the browser has been signed by known companies and we do this by verifying the code signatures.

You can disable this check and 1Password will work in Pale Moon. You can do this by opening the main 1Password program and going to the Help Menu > Advanced to deselect the Verify web browser code signatures.

For more information on this security check, you can read our article here.

• Fulcrum
    Fulcrum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT. Thanks for the reply. I don't want to disable code signature verification for obvious reasons. Last I heard, the developer of Pale Moon was signing the EXE files but still working on getting a digital certificate to sign the code. If he is able to get a certificate, would you support Pale Moon? If so, it may be worth contacting him for an update.

• Hi @Fulcrum,

We should be able to add it to our list if it is signed, yes.

• Fulcrum
    Fulcrum
    Community Member
    Options

From the latest Pale Moon release notes (http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml):

"Updated the way binaries are code-signed. Not only does v26.0 use a new SHA256-signed digital certificate, but starting this version will also be signed with both SHA1 and SHA256 digest algorithms to satisfy later Windows' code-signing requirements."

Is this sufficient?

• I'm not sure but I'll add it to our list to investigate.

Thanks for updating with the link.

• Fulcrum
    Fulcrum
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for the delay in replying - I didn't get the notification of your response. Would you be kind enough to let me and other forum members know the outcome?

• We will mention the support in the changelog when we add new browsers to the list. I'll try to update this thread if we have anything to share.

• Thanks for linking to that, this would a combined effort on both OS X and Windows.

This discussion has been closed.