Used spotlight to find multiple copies to trashone says I don't have permission to access some items

Options
tgibbon
tgibbon
Community Member

Following instructions to install update it informed me that I have multiple copies

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

OSX El Capitan 10.2.2 1Password 5.4.3

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Does it say where the other copies are? It may not.

Simplest short-term solution is to unmount any external drives. For a long-term answer we need to know more about your setup.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes @danco is right @tgibbon. I would be very interested to know the exact location of the file you can't remove.

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Files reside on external drive I use for back up. I have unmounted it and installed version 6 OK

• Hi tgibbon ,

Thanks for letting us know. When it finds files on backup drives, it's often easier to unmount the drive, run the updater, restart 1Password, and then remount the drive. Please let us know if you see any issues in the future.

Regards,
    Kevin

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin, that's what I have done, but how do I rid myself of the spurious copy on the hard drive?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@tgibbon you can go to your backup, to the Applications folder and simply the delete the 1Password app file from there. Don't use any app cleaner tool when you do that—because the only file you want to delete is the app file itself. You'll also need to exclude your 1Password app file from future backups.

It doesn't matter not having a copy app file included with your backups because you can always download a fresh version if you need to.

Stephen

• ahrickenbacker
    ahrickenbacker
    Community Member
    Options

Afraid of trashing the right app along with all the duplicates. Would like to talk to a person,please.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It's pretty simple. Do not trash the copy in your Applications folder on your startup hard drive. Trash all the other copies anywhere on your system, but only the application itself, not any of the supporting files. If you leave the copy in your Application folder on your usual startup drive, you won't damage anything. And if you should happen to delete that copy, you can always download a fresh copy from the same source where you purchased your license.

• ahrickenbacker
    ahrickenbacker
    Community Member
    Options

My worry is deleting all the passwords and other info I've saved!! Here are some screen shots of what's on my computer:

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ahrickenbacker,

What was the version of 1Password you were using before you upgraded?

It should not be a problem to delete anything ending in .app without losing any user data.

• ahrickenbacker
    ahrickenbacker
    Community Member
    Options

just sent in a diagnostic report

• ahrickenbacker
    ahrickenbacker
    Community Member
    Options

Nathan, I was using 5.4.3. This morning the Firefox extension is not working. The update won't install because there are too many other versions in the way. Sent in a diagnostic report. Just walk me through what to do, otherwise I'll have to find another solution to keep track of passwords.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ahrickenbacker,

I think I can walk you through this in a few simple steps and you'll be back up and running :)

The thing you'd need to do is remove those versions of 1Password from your computer except for the version 5.4.3 which you are using. I realize you might be worried that you are possibly deleting your data, but you shouldn't be worried if it's a 1Password Application you're removing.

The application file does not store your data inside of itself, it is just the application that accesses your data which is saved elsewhere on your computer. :)

But, if you are extra worried about it, I suggest you do the following:
    1. Take all the extra copies of 1Password and put them in a folder.
    2. Right click the folder and select "compress " -- The copies of 1Password will now be compressed in a .zip file
    3. Delete the folder containing all the extra copies of 1Password, so now you only have the .zip file

From there you can install the new version of 1Password and should not get any more error messages.

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.