Save/fill forms in classic Win32 applications (feature request) [Use Auto-Type]

Options
honzakuchar
honzakuchar
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

In Windows there is possibilty intercept forms and other GUI elements on global level, so there is possibility to fill or read fields in classic windows applications.

Imagine this situation: You want to log into TeamViewer, you need to copy credetials from 1password manually, if this feature gets implemented, there will be not longer be need for this.

Implemented for example in Digital Persona Password Manager (in my case rebranded to HP Security Manager - Password Manager). (it looks like there is even some old version available in Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=31326)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10Prox64
Sync Type: Synology cloud (private)

Comments

• Hi @honzakuchar,

We already support that via the Auto-Type feature. You can find out more here: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/create-app-login.html

• honzakuchar
    honzakuchar
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @MikeT!

Cool! I tried that one just once. Auto typing works great.

But I have troubles in detecting applications. When I select for example TeamViewer generated application URL is "#32770" which makes no sense to me. (it looks like a process number; but this changes every time you relaunch program) Another problems is with java programs that looks all like one program. (To be honest I have no idea how to reliably distinguish between applications.)

Am I doing something wrong?

• Hi @honzakuchar,

You are not doing anything wrong.

When you select the window you want the Auto-Type to use for the Login item, we call out to Windows to tell us the Window class name of that specific window and #32770 is what we get. The dev is probably using a specific UI framework that generated the generic ID for that window rather than assigning a unique name for it.

It does not change and it is not a process ID. In fact, you may notice several apps using the same #32700, that's because the framework they use generated the same generic ID for that window.

Right now, that's one limitation with the current Auto-Type feature, it doesn't have any other way to distinguish between app windows. We would like to improve on this in the future but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• honzakuchar
    honzakuchar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT ! Thanks for insight! :chuffed:

Now I understand what is going wrong there. Maybe ony thing that is needed - It will be much more unique then just window class name is.

Anyway thanks for info!

• Yep, we want to figure out a better way to get the app name included as well, so even "Javaman - #37220" is still better than "#37220".

At the very least, the app name will avoid the issue with ten Login items with #37220 saved showing up on top of Javaman because it also uses #37220.

You're welcome and if there's anything else we can do to help, let us know. I saw the other thread you created, we'll get to it as soon as we can.

This discussion has been closed.