Sharing credentials across more URLs

honzakuchar
honzakuchar
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi! On first look it may look weird to want one credentials used on more sites, but in some cases this is reality.

I'm using site where there is LDAP backbone for loggin users in/out. This means that there are more systems that has same credentials, and when you change one password, it changes everywhere.

There are even some public services like this. E.g. http://www.slunecnice.cz/prihlasit/ http://www.root.cz/prihlasit/ and 4 more.

In there cases I do not want to have credentials stored 6 times because when I change password it will be propagated immediately on web page side, but 1password will update just one.

I've tried box for URL (you can fill more there) in Login section of my vault. I filled there all login forms that needs same credentials. However when I tried to login in my Chrome 47 1password has shown me credentials only on site which was first in the URL list.

Am I misunderstood something or is this bug?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: Win10Prox64
Sync Type: Synology cloud (private)

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

HI @honzakuchar,

Open the main 1Password program, unlock it, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Logins, check the box next to Enable Multiple URLs. Press OK to save the change and try again in Chrome, it should work now. If not, restart the browser.

We don't have this enabled by default because it slows down the performance of the extension by making it scan the entire URL list per Login item. We will optimize this in the future with a better implementation.

• honzakuchar
    honzakuchar
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Thanks! I'll try this tomorrow.

UX suggestion: when I click add URL in add login form, there should be an message that for using this feature I need to enable that setting and if I want to do so.

Will this "multiple urls thing" work also on my iphone?

tip: there can be build local cache of urls using btree index e.g. in sqlite quite effortlessly. If there is a less then few thousand items this cache can be flushed on every start without worring much about performance.

• Hi @honzakuchar,

Will this "multiple urls thing" work also on my iphone?

It's only an issue on Windows. On your iOS device, we do use an internal SQLite database to help with this.

tip: there can be build local cache of urls using btree index e.g. in sqlite quite effortlessly. If there is a less then few thousand items this cache can be flushed on every start without worring much about performance.

Yes, except you still have to parse all 16 JSON files to filter to Logins only, decrypt each one before parsing the JSON tree for the URLs and put it in the cache at each launch of the program.

However, you are correct that SQLite will help and that's exactly the design behind the internal database on both iOS and OS X. We have plans to switch to SQLite on Windows as well but I don't have a timeframe on this.

• honzakuchar
    honzakuchar
    Community Member

Thanks for reply! There is really cool feature ahead of 1password. Looking forward for that!

• You're welcome and yep, we're very excited as well to show more of what we've been working on lately along with Teams.

This discussion has been closed.