can i manually restore passwords from vault from iPad back up without restoring the entire backup?

Options
dcarsman
dcarsman
Community Member

I just did a back up of my iPad because I had to restore back to factory presets in order to get rid of a software issue. I then had to set up the iPad as a new iPad rather than restoring from the backup because when I restored from the backup the issues remained. I did this new set up and then downloaded from iCloud all of my apps. The problem is that the cloud did not have my 1Password vault info stored in it so the app is loading as though for the first time. So my question is: can I somehow go into the backup in iTunes and retrieve some file that has my passwords in it and restore it to the app? Or do I have to do a full restore from the backup and set up the cloud sync and then start all over? (I hope this makes sense.) I would appreciate any info that might help !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can i manually restore passwords from vault from iPad back up without restoring the whole backup?

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dcarsman,

Before we dive into the world of operating system backups, may I ask if you're syncing 1Password with another device?

Thanks!

• dcarsman
    dcarsman
    Community Member
    Options

I am not unfortunately.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks, @dcarsman!

Were you only using iCloud for your iPad backups, or did you also use iTunes? If you used iTunes and have a Mac, then we might be able to grab your 1Password data with a free app called iExplorer.

If this is an option, download iExplorer. Install iExplorer and launch it, then:
    1. Go to Backups > Backup Explorer in the sidebar.
    2. Look for AppDomainGroup-group.com.agilebits.onepassword, then the Data folder.
    3. Select all of the files in the Data folder.
    4. Right click, then click Compress.
    5. Rename all of that to 1Password 2016-02-01 13_22_38 (7 profiles, 612 items, 29 folders, 26 attachments).1p4_zip (the numbers don't matter, so don't worry about changing them).
    6. Save the zipped file to a new folder called Backups on your Desktop.
    7. Follow the steps to restore your 1Password data outlined here: (Restoring Manual Backups)[https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/#restoring-manual-backups]

If you only backed up to iCloud, then the solution is going to be restoring your original iPad backup, backing up your 1Password data, restoring your new iPad backup, then restoring your 1Password data. (Here are our instructions for backing up and restoring your 1Password vaults.)

Please let me know how this works out for you!

This discussion has been closed.