Changing the 1password app icon and text (1Password) below it

funtex
funtex
Community Member

I have 1Password Ver. 6.2.1 for iOS Ver. 9.2.1 (iPad and iPhone)
Can I change the 1Password icon and the text (1Password) below it? I searched the app (incl. settings and Pro features) and could not find a way to do this. If there is a way, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Reason: I have the app in auto lock - 2 minutes as I live alone and have the phone with me at all times (I thought). Last week I asked my brother to take a pic of my daughter and I, and he saw the app, clicked on it and was surprised that a password app would actually show up on the phone as a "Password App". Made me think as well. Maybe a better name is old home movies... Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Changing the 1password app icon

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hi @funtex!

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us :) To answer your question quickly: there is no way to change the name and/or icon of 1Password (or any app on iOS).

To answer it more in-depth: Your observation is an interesting one! While I understand what you're saying here, your best defense against someone gaining access to 1Password is to make sure your device has Touch ID or a passcode and that 1Password's Master Password is strong.

The other consideration is that Apple likely wouldn't let us actually put 1Password in the app store under a deceptive name. Their guidelines state that "Apps with names [...] not relevant to the content and functionality of the App will be rejected."

I hope this helps and thanks for the suggestion :) Please let us know if you have any others!

• funtex
    funtex
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Thanks for the quick response, Aleen. I agree (to a point), but as an example, I'm a newbie in online dating and the 2 apps I've used do not use the word "dating" under them. For another example, I just downloaded Tinder and it only says Tinder, and for many that probably means nothing. The point.. Agile, AgileBits, AB, 1P (I thought it used to be that) seems like a better choice than: "I'm the app where all the passwords are stored". Just saying, perhaps 1Password is not the app to have 100% full disclosure.

• Tabaluga
    Tabaluga
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@funtex where is the benefit of having a different name for the app, security through obscurity isn't secure. Especially when it is a fixed different name and picture.

When your device is locked no one can access you phone, so the app isn't available at all.

But, let's get back to the example with your brother or some other person you trust so much that you give him or her your phone in a unlocked state. This person also can not access your 1password, as long it is locked. That's the main point of security even when you know it is there no one can access this. If you want to be more secure change the 1p behavior to "instant pin requirement" I don't know how this option is actually called.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

To require the master password or PIN each time 1Password is opened, go to the 1Password settings by tapping the gear icon. Then select Security and turn on Lock on exit.

• funtex
    funtex
    Community Member

Thanks everyone. I think this discussion should be closed (or better, I probably should have simply placed it in a suggestion box instead of a forum). This was an observation only, and as a very early adapter of 1P, I am fully aware of all of the security settings but did not make that clear in my opening, so sorry for that omission.

My new observation is that the comments above focused on what I should do-not on all of us having an app on our devices that clearly says PASSWORDS. So... don't be totally surprised when a guy from Texas get knocked out by thugs so they can use my thumb to access my phone and then search for .002 seconds to find where all of my passwords, credit cards, IDs, etc. are hidden, and again use my thumb to steal everything I have. On a positive note, I ain't got much anymore, so it doesn't really matter.... Hope you all had a nice weekend.

• This definitely brings up an interesting point, and reminds me of one of my favorite comic strips:

(all credit to xkcd)

Though as Aleen mentioned using something intentionally deceptive is against Apple's terms. Tinder can label their app "Tinder" because that is the name of their app. Unless we were to change the name of our entire product line and branding... you get the idea. ;)

So, probably not a practical solution, but I do certainly understand your position. Something to think about. :)

Ben

• funtex
    funtex
    Community Member

Thanks for that, Ben. If the team ever decides to go for it, I'll write the justification to the iOS squad pro bono. Who knows how many thumbs it may save..

• Tabaluga
    Tabaluga
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@funtex fair point: getting knocked out and used for passing the Touch ID is truly a way this mechanism could be abused. But in that case I wouldn't rely on a changed password icon ;) and it brings up the old "how secure is a fingerprint lock" discussion.

What reminds me of: @bwoodruff Is the feature that lets one chose whether 1P uses a Pin or the for the device enabled Touch ID for quick unlock still in the request pipe?

And when the feature is up for realization, don't forget the "require the Master Password after 10ish failed attempts" function. ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@Tabaluga - I'm not completely sure I undersatnd your last comment. As things stand right now, you must use your master password if there is even one unsuccessful attempt to use the PIN. That seems better than 10ish attempts to me.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

@funtex - Will nobody think of the thumbs?! Thanks for the continued discussion :)

@Tabaluga - Yes, that feature request is still in our system :) As hawkmoth observes, if a PIN is entered incorrectly even once, 1Password will ask for the Master Password! I doubt we'd change that, as we don't want to take chances with our users' data.

ref: OPI-1919

• Tabaluga
    Tabaluga
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@Aleen @hawkmoth

One attempt is also okay, I can't use the pin since it is not possible when Touch ID is enabled in the device settings. And since Apple doesn't give the option to ask for a stronger password when a wrong pin is entered x times. The only option is to use Touch ID in addition to a strong device password. But I would like to separate 1P from Touch ID to have that extra layer of security funtex is asking for. And I think that would be better than hiding behind an obscure name and hope no one finds it.

Anyway... 1P is a great app and I thank you guys a lot that you brought the copy/move an item to another vault feature in the last update.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much, @Tabaluga! You raise some really great points :)

This discussion has been closed.