Multiple Vaults on Multiple Computers

Options

I am already using 1Password for Mac, and storing my data in Dropbox.

If I start using 1Password for Windows, I need to know my options. My questions are:

1. Can the two versions (Mac and PC) use the same vault? If not, can both vaults co-exist in Dropbox?
  2. Since 1Password for Windows does not keep a local copy of the vault, how often does it backup its data? Is the backup stored on the local computer rather than in Dropbox?
  3. I have a family license for Mac and a family license for Windows. The Windows license is for an older version (version 1). On the website, it says the price to upgrade is $34.99. Is this accurate?

Thanks,

Michael Frankel
Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @michaelfrankel,

Can the two versions (Mac and PC) use the same vault? If not, can both vaults co-exist in Dropbox?

Yes, and yes if you want to use two separate vaults instead of one. It is up to you if you want to use the same vault between your PCs and Macs or choose a unique vault. 1Password will let you switch between vaults.

With Dropbox sync, you can use the same vault between Android, iOS, OS X, and Windows.

Since 1Password for Windows does not keep a local copy of the vault, how often does it backup its data? Is the backup stored on the local computer rather than in Dropbox?

I'm not sure where you've heard that but all 1Password apps stores a local copy. 1Password apps are standalone programs working on a local copy and does not store your data in the cloud for it to access.

Dropbox keeps a local copy of your Dropbox folder on each computer you use while it syncs with its servers.

However, in addition to accessing your data vault in the Dropbox folder, 1Password can be configured to back up to any locations you want. Here's what the settings look like:

I have a family license for Mac and a family license for Windows. The Windows license is for an older version (version 1). On the website, it says the price to upgrade is $34.99. Is this accurate?

No, the 34.99$ is the upgrade price from converting a Mac or Windows license into a Mac + Windows bundle license. You don't need this because you already own the latest Mac license. The upgrade for the Windows license is $24.99. You should see three options when you enter your 1Password for Windows license key into the upgrade store; Mac+Windows, Mac, and Windows.

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

OK - so to clarify, 1Password for Windows can store its vault in Dropbox but also keeps a local copy (just like it does on the Mac). Is that accurate?

Also, right now I have a vault for my Mac and a vault for my PC. The vault files seem to be named the same. How do I keep them separate? Can I create two folders in my Drobpox, one for Mac and one for PC?

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

One more thing - the RoboForm import is broken, seriously broken. I imported 357 items and promptly deleted them after looking at them. Am I doing something wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK - so to clarify, 1Password for Windows can store its vault in Dropbox but also keeps a local copy (just like it does on the Mac). Is that accurate?

@michaelfrankel: No. The 1Password for Windows desktop app works directly with the vault on disk.

Also, right now I have a vault for my Mac and a vault for my PC. The vault files seem to be named the same. How do I keep them separate? Can I create two folders in my Drobpox, one for Mac and one for PC?

Precisely! While (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain is the default location and filename, you can easily use vaults in different folders (which will still sync, provided they are inside Dropbox) call whatever you want — for example, (Dropbox)/1Password/Shared/work.agilekeychain, etc. After moving or renaming, you'll just need to go to 1Password File > Open 1Password Vault and select it so that 1Password knows where it is.

One more thing - the RoboForm import is broken, seriously broken. I imported 357 items and promptly deleted them after looking at them. Am I doing something wrong?

It probably isn't you. Certain versions of Roboform have crippled export. @MrC 's converter has a lot of good documentation and some workarounds that may help, so be sure to check it out. It's well-documented.

For instance, the Print List option in Roboform 6 may be the best option to get your data out so that it can be converted into a usable form for import into 1Password. Be sure to ask any other questions you might have! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@michaelfrankel ,

If you use the roboform converter in the converter suite, please use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits. It contains an update to better recognize the username and password form fields in RoboForm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thanks for mentioning that! That's the one I was actually looking at out of habit. :) :+1:

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

OK - That worked. Thanks.

So now that I've got that done, if I want to share the two vaults between the Mac and PC, how do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michaelfrankel: Great! Thanks for the update. :)

To share a vault or simply sync it between devices, you can use Dropbox. Just set it up on your PC (1Password Preferences > General > Move to Dropbox -- after installing the Dropbox app), and then set the Mac to use the same vault in Dropbox there:

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

I already have one vault for Mac and one for PC, both in Dropbox, however I see no way to "add" a vault to the program.

Do I just need to open it? Does that automatically "add" it to the program?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do I just need to open it? Does that automatically "add" it to the program?

@michaelfrankel: Precisely! If you want to open a different one in 1Password for Windows, just go to File > Open 1Password Vault and select it from there. Once you've done that, it will be added to the 'recent' list, and that makes switching between them much quicker too. :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.