opvault 1password for Mac 6

Options
haringwit
haringwit
Community Member

I see that as of 1Password for Mac 6 that "OPVault for Dropbox and folder sync" is enabled by default. Where is the documentation for this change?

If this topic is answered please direct me to the correct post.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opvault

Comments

• Hi @haringwit,

There's no official documentation for this change per se. Can you elaborate on what you'd like to see? We can either point you in the right direction or answer whatever questions you may have that aren't answered in official docs.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• haringwit
    haringwit
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am curious about a number of things.
    1. Will this change my vault to OPVault if I switch to Dropbox?
    2. What happens if I turn it on and create a new vault Dropbox?
    3. Will this setting, for instance, change my vault if I switch back and forth between iCloud and Dropbox syncing?
    4. If I create a vault on Dropbox with this setting off, disable Dropbox syncing, then sync to iCloud, what kind of vault results?

This is a good start for my questions. It's an interesting change, and I like where this is going.
    8-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @haringwit,

Thanks for your questions about this change! I can definitely help to explain how this all works.

Before I answer your specific questions, I think it'll help to explain a few things: First, regardless of whether or not you use any sync options, your 1Password data is always stored locally in an SQLite database on your Mac. If you enable one of the sync options, 1Password makes a copy of your vault that it uses for syncing purposes, and it copies any changes between the SQLite file and the sync file.

The setting you asked about doesn't have anything to do with the SQLite database on your Mac where all your 1Password data is stored - it only applies to the format of the file used for syncing (specifically, via Dropbox sync or Folder sync). In other words, no matter what sync option or sync format you're using, your data will still be stored locally in the SQLite file.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. Will this change my vault to OPVault if I switch to Dropbox?

The local copy of your vault (i.e. the one in the SQLite database file I mentioned) doesn't change formats at all. The "Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync" option simply determines the format of a new sync file created when enabling Dropbox or Folder sync.

If the OPVault option is enabled when you switch to Dropbox sync, and it creates a new sync file in Dropbox, that sync file will be in the OPVault format (the file will have a ".opvault" extension).

If you previously used Dropbox sync and have an old Agile Keychain sync file (.agilekeychain) in your Dropbox folder, that file won't be changed.

2. What happens if I turn it on and create a new vault Dropbox?

My answer above might already cover this, but just to reiterate: If the OPVault option is on when you enable Dropbox sync, the new sync file it creates will be in the OPVault format.

3. Will this setting, for instance, change my vault if I switch back and forth between iCloud and Dropbox syncing?

Existing vaults/sync files are not changed to a different format. Switching between sync options doesn't transfer a sync file from one cloud service to the other. For example, if you're using iCloud sync and switch to Dropbox, your 1Password data still exists in your iCloud account, but isn't used for syncing anymore.

Again, the setting for using OPVault doesn't change or convert any existing sync files. It just determines which sync format to use the next time a new sync file is created.

I should also mention that if you're using iCloud sync, your sync data in iCloud is already in the OPVault format, as that's what iCloud sync has always used.

4. If I create a vault on Dropbox with this setting off, disable Dropbox syncing, then sync to iCloud, what kind of vault results?

That setting has absolutely no affect on iCloud sync (which, as I mentioned, has always used OPVault as the sync format). The OPVault setting only determines the format of new sync files created with Dropbox or Folder sync.

If you switch from Dropbox sync to iCloud sync, nothing happens to the sync file in Dropbox - it simply isn't used anymore. It will remain in Dropbox unless you choose to delete it.

Does that help to answer your questions? I hope what I've written above makes sense, but if it doesn't, please let us know and we'll be happy to make it clearer. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.