Microformat for defining password rules

Is there, or would agilebits support, a micro-format for defining the rules for a "valid" password on a website? As a SaaS developer, and 1Password user, I'd love to have a way do define the validity rules on my password screens so 1Password could generate a valid password.

Of course the "right" answer here is that there shouldn't be restrictions the validity of a password such that the standard password 1Password generates would be valid all the time, but unfortunately that's not the case. Back in 2014 there was a mention of passing the idea along to development, anything come of that? (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/150813#Comment_150813)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:compatible-website-design, kb-search:microformat

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WaldenL,

You're right, there's what is ideal in terms of password restrictions and then there is accepting the reality of the situation and working to that rather than the ideal :wink: We haven't made any progress here but we're still aware that we need something. I believe it's trying to figure out what would mean our users don't have to think about it (which is great) and something that wouldn't require every site to alter their site, even if it's merely adding an attribute or two as while some, like yourself, might be really happy to do so I suspect the percentage of web devs we'd need to get on board to make it useful is relatively high. So we're still thinking and still wanting to do something, we're just not sure on the exact form yet. I suspect that if there were a lot more people like yourself this would be easier :smile: I'm still hopeful though!

This discussion has been closed.